• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does heavily large interest in videogame/anime make you a nerd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
OK folks, here my thread in my school theres a lot of stereo types about nerds. but nerd means big interest in something right? so that make you a nerd =]. but pro sport players have REALLY big interests in their sport, so are they nerds. All of us big smash = nerds people, not nerds people. theres nothing wrong about it, so i want to know your oppinions.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Being a nerd means being a smart little [Hello there. I'm mister censor.]. It has more to do with being a know-it-all than being really interested in a hobby.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
There are definitly other reasons people could be considered a nerd, or actually consider themselves a nerd.

Being an anime fan and a video game freak don't necessarily make you a nerd. Maybe having a chronic obsession could, but I'm sure popular people can still like anime and enjoy video games without being considered a nerd. Not to mention, nerds are considered people with high intelects, that usually talk about intellectual things.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I think the term "nerd" has a wide variety of meanings from different people that it's hard to really classify what a nerd is. I know many people would call me a nerd for playing Melee everyday but they don't know what I do in between time so I would find their claim to be rediculous.

Nowadays, I believe a nerd would be classified as someone that looks like a geek "whatever that may look like" and has an attitude toward the people that would be considered cool. Basically know-it-alls like Gamer4Fire said and they also tend to see things that most other people do as useless or not fun.

Ophelius

Smash Ace
You know the little sprinkles you had on your ice
Actually, around the High School I attend, the only major "nerd stereotype" that gets thrown around is of course "band nerd", which I am proudly one of. I think "nerd" is more along the lines of a title rather than a name to be called.

But do I have a huge interest in the Saxophone? Of course. It's what I'm good at. Is it the same case with the other bandnerds? Not really. They're just in there for a free ride. Thus busting the stereotype of band nerd. Are they still called band nerds? YES.

D

Deleted member

I've held the belief that:

Nerd means someone who is very into ______. Could be Harry Potter nerd, F1 Racing nerd, space nerd, etc.

Geek means someone who is very into technology and / or something usually that requires intelligence.

When something is nerdy, however, it generally refers to something a gamer would like.

In short, you're an anime / video game nerd. But it's not fair to call someone a nerd in a negative way, as they probably mean that to be uncool.

Uncool and nerdy are not synonyms.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I dislike society's belief that only certain hobbies can qualify someone as a nerd. I could never understand why someone who spent all of their time and money building/working on cars was always just an enthusiast while someone who spent less than half as much time and money on a computer was an extreme nerd. I also don't get why its acceptable for sports fans who know everything about every year of their team and any other team who wear the jerseys of their favorite players are just "fans" while people who similarly like anime and dress up like their favorite characters are, again, nerds.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
im not saying that its just that people at my school make fun of people who like something very much. My one friend likes to make jelwery at hes popular, but hes consitered a nerd to my friends. Same with me im into videogames but im popular but im consitered a videogame nerd to some people

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why is nerd a derogatory term? I'm a nerd. But not just any nerd, I'm a professional nerd. I make my living being a nerd, a pretty good living too. Being a nerd can pay.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
I would define nerd as being expert in things that most of the time are not important to the average individual, hence the isolation and degradation individuals experience in their younger years.

Of course if you are a nerd that can make money off the knowledge you possess, then thats great, but most nerds do not do so. Usually nerds can only get status amongst other nerds, and rarely are people interested in what they have to say about their specialty.

That is my definition of nerd for better or worse.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I would define nerd as being expert in things that most of the time are not important to the average individual, hence the isolation and degradation individuals experience in their younger years.

Of course if you are a nerd that can make money off the knowledge you possess, then thats great, but most nerds do not do so. Usually nerds can only get status amongst other nerds, and rarely are people interested in what they have to say about their specialty.

That is my definition of nerd for better or worse.
Your definition of a nerd seems to be the most common one I'd hear from people but there are many other that still use the term in such a broad way. I've been called a nerd for playing Melee, looking at stars, collecting pennies, drinking, and even for playing Soccer. Some of these differ greatly from what others may call a nerd but in the end just about everyone has been called a nerd for something imo. Whether the person was being serious or just joking.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Being a nerd means being a smart little [Hello there. I'm mister censor.]. It has more to do with being a know-it-all than being really interested in a hobby.
Yup, the difference is that, normally, the ones who knows-it-all like to play games a lot. But it works the other way around, there are people who play video games a lot, and don't know where Texas is.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
I'm not saying its right, hell I'm an FPS nerd trying to become a Smash nerd, but its what people in American Society at least feel as a whole, of course there are exceptions, but the problem is, mostly every nerd out there feel that they are exception (due to high stress on intelligence/knowledge)

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure why you're denying your personality.

But just like there are people who know every single thing about every Star Trek episode, there's inevitably people who know every single statistic and play and player in the NFL.

That's nerddom.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
The only difference though is that the person who knows the NFL stats in our society is a lot more valuable than the Star Trek guy, who will only most likely get status from their sub-culture of fellow star trek fans.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
People have their definitions of nerds, and, out of my own experience, you can get made fun of for liking something too much. But if you look at everyone in the world, people have one subject or thing that they get obsessed with. So we all like Smash a lot and possibly obsess over it, making us Smash nerds? That's OK. The person talking about it probably has something they obsess about, so you can consider them (subject or thing) nerds. From my point of view, everyone is a nerd in some sort of way.

D

Deleted member

The only difference though is that the person who knows the NFL stats in our society is a lot more valuable than the Star Trek guy, who will only most likely get status from their sub-culture of fellow star trek fans.
This is stupid.

Both are just as valuable or invaluable.

Neither past-time - Football or Star Trek - are better / worse than the other.

I don't watch Star Trek nor do I watch Football. I think both are rather stupid.

I think I'd probably rather hear about a Star Trek episode than Joe Noneck hitting a touchdown in some game that happened that you watched on a big screen while eating pork rinds.

But that's just me.

Me14k

Smash Lord
No. Just like interest in sports doesnt make you cool..its a stereotype.

**I saw a Gangster(Really, really Pimping out with his hat..tag still on!) at the airport who was reading anime**

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
This is stupid.

Both are just as valuable or invaluable.

Neither past-time - Football or Star Trek - are better / worse than the other.

I don't watch Star Trek nor do I watch Football. I think both are rather stupid.

I think I'd probably rather hear about a Star Trek episode than Joe Noneck hitting a touchdown in some game that happened that you watched on a big screen while eating pork rinds.

But that's just me.
No its not stupid,

Try going anywhere in America and talking football with some men either your age or older. Most people will have an opinion about a team or a player.

Do the same thing with star trek, and the conversation will not be nearly as long.

Just because YOU would rather hear something doesn't mean the entire society would.

Football is seen as more popular in mainstream culture, Star Trek has its own sub-culture popularity.

To ignore this is to be stupid.

On a side note, it is often important to view the stereotypes. Nerds are often categorized as skinny, scrawny, socially awkward types. Football fans are more often more physically assertive.

That is part of the reason why I believe that nerds are categorized so negatively in person, where as football fans overral who are more assertive maybe called just "obsessed"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom