• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does fludd make Mario heavier?

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
As the title says.

Does it make you heavier when it's out for those few secs? I tried messing around with it while playing against Matador. I don't really know. I was lasting up until 180 plus % though. :laugh:

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
I always thought that it made you heavier. I tried having F.L.U.D.D on my back for most of the game and it makes me heavier slightly but still noticeable (at times). You should try it to see the results.

I personally use it to make Mario heavier to short hop slightly better (this can be proven wrong haven't done enough testing on it). i don't really care to redirect the opponents recovery, if necessary i will do that, mainly on Ness (cuz cape doesn't stop it once it starts).

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Lol. Nobody knows for sure. With a definitive yes or no. I'll look into it ocassionaly I guess. I spam fludd alot, so hopefully it does. Would help me out alot in the longrun. ;)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Actually it doesn't make Mario heavier. It's one of those brawl myths.

Since im such a nice guy, I won't lock the topic with my mod powers.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
My Wii isn't hooked up right now, but I will give it a shot in training mode whenever I get out of lazy mode.

But seriously, DI is much more important than FLUDD's marginally added weight.

Skink

Smash Apprentice
I had a thought about the fludd I can't test right now because my wii isn't here, but if you're waay out over the edge and flying high (to the top corner of the map), could you fire it backwards (towards the void) to blast yourself back to the edge with any useful effect?

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
I do that sometimes,you have to cape away from the edge first but yea
Im not really sure weather it does add any distance to your recovery,and if you up there in the first place chances are you dont need it
I've done it from a pretty low place tho,like a few 'marios' over BF and survided...but I just do it for flashyness and mindgames(lol people dont try and gimp me for some reason)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Tested the FLUDD weight thingy, and turns out it does not add any weight. Here's how I found out.

-Go to training mode, pick Mario, FD.
-Set speed to 1/4th, zoom in on Mario
-Do a Double SH U-air. You will notice that Mario landed on his head.
-Pull out FLUDD
-Repeat step 3. You will notice that Mario still lands on his head.

Also, I found out something else. Stay in training mode.
-Set speed to 1x.
-Pull out FLUDD and run around FD until FLUDD disappears.
-Set speed to 1/4
-Repeat step 2.
-Set speed to 1.5x
-Repeat step 2/4.

If you do this, you will notice that throughout the whole time, FLUDD disappears at the exact same time regardless of frame speed. According to the game, FLUDD is only considered on Mario's back when he's using it, only supporting there is no way possible that FLUDD can add weight to Mario.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
You should probably test it out by actually hitting Mario with an attack and seeing how far he goes with fludd and then without it.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Just did. It's the same distance.

An easy way to test this is to just go to Training mode, select Donkey Kong, put Mario as the Controlled CPU. Set damage to 70% and put Mario in the middle of FD (this can easily be done my KOing Mario, then letting him drop from the respawn point).

Charge up DK's Neutral B, then hit Mario with it, no DI applied. Mario will -barely- be KOed from the side of the screen.

Do the same action, but while Mario is charging up FLUDD. He'll still -barely- be KOed from the side of the screen. Same distance, same time.

FLUDD does not add weight to Mario.

http://ui29.gamespot.com/156/mythwalrus_2.jpg

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
That sounds about right. It affect you're floatiness by weighing you down thus making you're falling speed slightly faster.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
That much is true, FLUDD does affect your fall speed, but only when charging up. FLUDD does nothing if it's just hanging around on your back.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
We need a new Smash term. Weight and Fall speed are used too interchangably, and with good reason to someone who hasn't been taught the difference. People go around saying "Fox is really heavy, look how fast he can drop his Nair" when he's actually one of the lightest characters in the game.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
There's definetly a difference in Mario animations at least while he has the FLUDD pack on. IDK what it is but there's something different with his running animation and it seems like his fall speed increases slightly too. Does anyone know if this would have any real use or not?

Top Bottom