• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Float Cancelling override L-Cancelling?

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
As in, even if I L-Cancel by habit, will the Float Cancel override it? Or must I not L-Cancel to Float Cancel? Could someone explain in specific detail how F-Cancelling works?

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Effectively, when you jump and land - you have a landing animation. The normal one has zero lag to it. Each aerial has it's own unique landing animation and L-Canceling cuts the lag frames inherent to each exactly in half. Float Cancelling, unlike L-Canceling which interacts with the lag animation of the aerial - just swaps it for Peach's normal landing animation. Thus giving it zero lag. If you're in the habit of hitting a shoulder button straight out of a FC, you're going to wind up randomly shielding a whole lot and not doing much else. So - to answer your question. Separate it from L-Cancelling in your mind. Peach gets to cheat x

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the information. Are there any notable pros to watch in 3.5 for Peach? Does Armada not play Peach in PM?

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Only one I can really think of off the top of my head is Llod. He plays a fair bit at VGBC tournaments - only serious Peach main I've seen on PM so far. Most of them abandoned ship D: tbh though, I need to pick up other characters as she's different enough in PM that swapping between the two - especially mid tournament. I do so much stupid **** while I readjust. If you're just picking up PM though and haven't played her in Melee though you should be fine :>

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Ahem, lloD is good, but also try Bladewise (personal fav), HankyPanky, VaNZ (Melee Vet, still GDLK), and occasionally Nintendude. for Melee examples, try VaNZ, Armada, MacD (may want to go watch his Tutorial on AT for Peach on Youtube ;P), and hope any of this helps!

Float Cancel wise, Lag-Cancelling is usually about 5-7 frames (move/char dependent. ), FC is normally 4 frames like jump landing animation. Not alone on the L-cancelling habit, I try hard not to do it when IFC NAirs don't work for me DD;

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Float cancelling is superior to L-canceling!!

The only time you want to l-cancel is when you find yourself in situations where you can't float cancel.

Check out some of my vids!!

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify some frame data:
  • I don't know about PM, but in melee, the fastest L-cancels were 7 frames.
  • Heavy (i.e. normal jump) landing lag is usually 4 frames (in melee, Pichu had 2, Bowser/DK/etc had more). I'm pretty sure most PM chars are 4. The animation itself actually takes ~30 frames, but it has IASA in 4 frames. However, you can't use the IASA with a platform drop-thru, which is why ppl started SHAI/Shield Dropping.
  • Soft Landing Lag takes 1 frame. It happens with No-Impact Landing (ex, Falco fullhopping to the top platform on BF).
  • Float Canceling simply gives you heavy (4 frames) landing lag.
  • L-canceling only happens if you land during the middle of an attack. Many attacks have auto-cancel windows during the startlag and endlag, and I'm pretty sure that they produce Heavy Landing Lag.
  • I just heard about a new Lucario tech where he ASC's his aerials, which causes zero lag from what I've heard. I.e. Lucario has something even better than float canceling. I hope they don't nerf it coz it's a really cool tech. If they do, I hope they only nerf it by making it heavy landing.
  • In 64, Z-canceling actually eliminated all landing lag rather than halving it. Melee introduced the balancing aspect where the additional lag given to stronger attacks is still felt even if you Lag-cancel them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom