• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does FG 1v1 matchmaking look at players skill?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Lately it often takes longer than half an hour to find opponents and when I find opponents they are in general much better than they used to be when online worked fast for me.

I thought that it was because sore losers had reported me as revenge for owning them like the noobs that they are. But I was thinking maybe it is because FG 1v1 matchmaking looks at skill and does not match people with a big skill difference when you have played enough games. This would explain why I can hardly find soemone and why when I find someone he is often very good. It would be because online find me too good to play aginst the scrubs of FG 1v1 and searches only the best for me which can take a while.

It could also be that they did not do this from the beginning but for example only started basing match making on skill since afetr the game was released.

I think that this is not how it works though.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I have no idea how For Glory 1v1 works. Sometimes it feels like I run into people who outright suck, but sometimes I run into people that should be in tournaments. I never have a hard time finding matches, so I don't know.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
I always thought it just pairs you with whoever else is on. Sometimes I get opponents I beat with ease, others I know are way above my skill level. It just feels random for me.

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
1FC0 you are in banland as you know :).

Wait a week and you will be getting paired up with loads of people again, so it cant be due to matchmaking.

If after a week you are still having these issues then it is worth trying to think about what could be going on. How long has it been so far?

I saw Izaw playing For Glory on his stream and he was matched up with people of varying skill levels and quickly, so if he hasnt managed to be moved to this elite server I suspect it doesnt exist!

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
1FC0 you are in banland as you know :).

Wait a week and you will be getting paired up with loads of people again, so it cant be due to matchmaking.

If after a week you are still having these issues then it is worth trying to think about what could be going on. How long has it been so far?
I think about 4 days now that I had to wait like an hour to get someone. Before that is only took a few minutes mostly. And before that a few seconds.

Maybe I should try losing more and taunting less. Ending many victories by spamming uptilt as cebration probably was not a good idea either. R.O.B.'s uptilt looks very fancy when spammed and I think few Smashers can handle it after being 2-stocked by a flood of lasers and Gyro's.

And if the system works on skill then obviously losing more will help too.

Last edited:

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
Can I just clarify that for you when banland started you were finding people within around 10min+ but now it has changed so it is taking an hour, or was it always taking an hour from the very start?

Its pretty obvious when banland starts because while you might find someone straight away as soon as you join, once you leave that person it either takes some time before finding someone else, or you will be paired up against the same person again.

When not in banland it should pretty much never take more than 10 - 30 seconds to find another new person after leaving a game.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Can I just clarify that for you when banland started you were finding people within around 10min+ but now it has changed so it is taking an hour, or was it always taking an hour from the very start?

Its pretty obvious when banland starts because while you might find someone straight away as soon as you join, once you leave that person it either takes some time before finding someone else, or you will be paired up against the same person again.

When not in banland it should pretty much never take more than 10 - 30 seconds to find another new person after leaving a game.
When I got the game it took less than 10 seconds, then suddenly it took about 10 minutes, and since a few days ago it often takes so long that I often can literary find only 1 or 2 people on a full battery.

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
This is a similar pattern to what happened with me, but the time period from it taking 10 mins to being back to taking 10 seconds is 1 week.

For the last 2-3 days of my week did it start taking so long that in fact I never found anyone (I always gave up after 30 mins) which matches your experience.

I posted some theories as to why this is in the other thread, but I suspect you are just being blocked by the very few people that are available to play since they dont want to play you.

I guess playing against ROB is as annoying as playing against Link for them ;).

I hope that in a few days your week will be up and you will be back able to find matches as it is very frustrating wanting to play and not being able to especially if it is through no fault of your own.

Naklsonofnakkl

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaklsonofNakkl
Damn, after reading this I guess I am also in banland. It is interesting given that I never insult players with my name or playstyle (unless taunting after every kill is a bannable offence which would be stupid). I wouldn't be surprised if I was simply being unlucky and getting too many reports because of the 2 v 2 squad a run with (:4villager: & :4morton:). People can be salty when they lose 6 and 0 because gyro's and cannons are hard to deal with in mass quantities. Then again, it is also unfair that I am being punished for playing against people who can't handle easily dodgeable spam.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
So I am pretty confident of how the matchmaking system works in For Glory, banland aside. If you've ever used the spectate mode where you can bet coins on players before viewing their bouts, you would have noticed the win rates of each player displayed prior to the viewing. You'd think it would be quite uncommon, if not rare, for players to have flawless, 100% win-rates recorded to their For Glory history; yet, contenders with 100% win rates pop up all the time. This leads me to believe that the matchmaking runs on a temporary ELO rating that is reset every time you initiate a new session. This prevents players from setting into an ELO that becomes near impossible to advance, while giving everyone the chance to casually proceed onto opponents of better and better skill.

For instance: If I am enjoying my match-up with another player for many rounds, and they suddenly exit our room; If I lost more matches than I won, I will also leave the room and create a new one with a fresh win %. This helps me avoid spending a lot of time against players of lower skill. If I can maintain a win streak I am sure to be matched against increasingly better opponents.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Damn, after reading this I guess I am also in banland. It is interesting given that I never insult players with my name or playstyle (unless taunting after every kill is a bannable offence which would be stupid). I wouldn't be surprised if I was simply being unlucky and getting too many reports because of the 2 v 2 squad a run with (:4villager: & :4morton:). People can be salty when they lose 6 and 0 because gyro's and cannons are hard to deal with in mass quantities. Then again, it is also unfair that I am being punished for playing against people who can't handle easily dodgeable spam.
Honestly, dodging one projectile is easy, but dodging two can be quite difficult, if not sometimes impossible, on omega stages. But that is approximately 70% of For Glory doubles teams. People eventually find it worth their while to create private rooms for those game modes.

Top Bottom