• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone think the Kirbycide is OP?

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I kill my friend all the time with a kirbycide when I'm a stock ahead (though sometimes i spit him out and let him recover). He always complains that there is nothing you can do against it and it's one of the most broken moves in Smash Brothers.

I never play kirbys myself, so i don't really know how hard it is to avoid it. What are some methods to counter the kirbycide or is it broken like he claims?

cAm

Falcon...Puuunch!

Smash Cadet
I think you could mash buttons while in Kirby to make it faster to get out, but other than that there's not much you can do. Though, in most situations you can dodge it pretty easily.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
At lower percentages it is incredibly easy to escape the kirbycide. Just mash buttons and you will get out with plenty of time to recover to safety. It's only at higher percentages that kirbycide should ever really work, and at that point kirby has plenty of other kill moves as well anyway. Definitely not overpowered.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Nah, the Swallowcide is slightly more difficult to use now since it lost its uber-priority, and it's the only Kirbycide that remained out of four. And now it's nothing really special since so many other characters have similar Kamikaze abilities (D3's Inhale, DK's Cargo Throw, Zamus' D-air to name a few).

But yeah, button-mashing and stick-wiggling tend to break out of Kirby's Swallowcide rather easily, unless they're at high percents ;) Not overpowered at all...

Now, the Starshot StageTrap KO is a rather frustrating tactic, as it can be used at low percents quickly and effectively (as long as the setup is right). Kirby wouldn't have time to Inhale, jump backwards, fall for about a second, spit you out, and hope to recover without getting smacked by a random meteor like Snake, DK, Mario's F-air, or get stage-spiked from not getting hit by the sweetspot of the attack, or spitting them out a tad too late and SD'ing (really embarrassing :embarrass)

But as it was said before, Kirby does have better options now (AIR HAMMAH FTW!!1!!1!one), but it's just too good to pass up a perfectly-set Swallowcide :chuckle:

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I didn't know mashing buttons worked if kirby was already on his way down in the air when he swallows them. Atleast i know sometimes he mashes buttons and gets nothing out of it. I know that it can't be done while on the ground and walking off but i don't even attempt that kinda kirbycide.

Generally what will happen is he'll hit me off the stage a decent distance and try to follow up with another attack i just push B and before his attacks hits me he's been sucked up and is pretty much dead.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Kirbycide is only a technique, if your opponent is good, won't be the kirbycide that will decide the battle

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Mashing takes longer than in melee but yeah it still works on the way down, though if you are going to die anyway dont try to mash becasue it lets kirby survie sometimes.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
If ur a stock ahead Kirbicide is a great idea but i figure if u've sucked them up, y not go for a stage assisted spike and stay alive??? i mean if he opportunity is there

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
If ur a stock ahead Kirbicide is a great idea but i figure if u've sucked them up, y not go for a stage assisted spike and stay alive??? i mean if he opportunity is there
I do it all the time against his Falco but he usually plays metaknight so that option really isn't there. Do you think being sucked up is easily avoidable Gonzo?

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
I believe u can dodge it by ...airdodging, or sidestepping if on the floor. If ur at a high percentage and ur in teh belly, then good luck gettin out. but lower than 40%, its pretty easy.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I don't know why this works so well, but when I play Kirbycide-happy Kirbys (theres a LOT), I just do whatever I can to stay behind them. For some reason, "Kirbycide-happy" seems to be synonymous with "bad at mindgames", so it's never really that hard (SH over and Bair FTW). But maybe I've just never played a decent Kirby.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Kirbycide is not cheap; cAmooo, please direct him to: http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm

Remember to tell him Kirby would be top-tier if Kirbycide/swallowcide was that good.

If your opponent cannot see the common set-ups (ledge-hop~>Inhale, dash~>short hop~>Inhale, or just standing on the edge~>Inhale), he needs to get better with reading his opponent, or just get smarter.

Ryazan, anyone spending the whole match doing Kirbycide/swallowcide techniques is not a good Kirby. You definitely must not play too many competitive ones.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Kirbycide is not cheap; cAmooo, please direct him to: http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm

Remember to tell him Kirby would be top-tier if Kirbycide/swallowcide was that good.

If your opponent cannot see the common set-ups (ledge-hop~>Inhale, dash~>short hop~>Inhale, or just standing on the edge~>Inhale), he needs to get better with reading his opponent, or just get smarter.

Ryazan, anyone spending the whole match doing Kirbycide/swallowcide techniques is not a good Kirby. You definitely must not play too many competitive ones.

Nice article and good answer.

bioniclekid8

Smash Cadet
is there any other kirbycide besides swallow-side, because swallowside i not cheap at all, and that's coming from someone who the only kirby i ever fight, my friend, is goodd at swallowside and loves to ue it, excuse me if im talking wierd, i havn't had coffee yet.

chingy

Smash Apprentice
no its not broken and if he cant dodge it then he sucks XD just mash buttons

Top Bottom