• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else use Fire to gimp?

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Has a nice KB angle, is fast, has enough KB to kill at normal kill %s, can stage spike(use runoff nair on low recovering enemies to set it up), and can bait and punish airdodge spammers on reaction EASY because of his super low fall speed.

Most importantly, outprioritizes a lot of recoveries. Examples from my experience:
:4littlemac:but not too important, just try to key spike him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLTdXv4N_o
:4link:better for beating spin attack then attacking from above, stage spikes
:4duckhunt:Did this like 10 times in a row, so easy if he has no well-placed can, 10thish time i accidentally hit him the other way and stage spiked him.
:4darkpit:/:4pit:Just get under him when he flies and use it, you'll get to your destination faster AND hit him.
:4falcon:Done this to him so many times...
:4ness:haha http://gfycat.com/NiftyOrneryGoat
:4pacman:best way to give him a hassle recovering, doesn't get beat out by side B most of the time
:4falco:One time, I hit him deep offstage and took the stock/game mid-Phantasm, as in while he was moving lightspeed in the center of the move. I felt godlike:seuss:
:4villager:Ok, so you aren't gonna stop his recovery with Fire but you can tack on 5% one or two times

Those are only the character I specifically remember stuffing their recoveries with Fire. Add his other gimping options and half the cast has a nightmare recovering against him!

Fire is my 1st gimping option if I can help it, but I don't see a lot of others using it. Dammit, Gimr is leading everybody astray.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Has a nice KB angle, is fast, has enough KB to kill at normal kill %s, can stage spike(use runoff nair on low recovering enemies to set it up), and can bait and punish airdodge spammers on reaction EASY because of his super low fall speed.

Most importantly, outprioritizes a lot of recoveries. Examples from my experience:
:4littlemac:but not too important, just try to key spike him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLTdXv4N_o
:4link:better for beating spin attack then attacking from above, stage spikes
:4duckhunt:Did this like 10 times in a row, so easy if he has no well-placed can, 10thish time i accidentally hit him the other way and stage spiked him.
:4darkpit:/:4pit:Just get under him when he flies and use it, you'll get to your destination faster AND hit him.
:4falcon:Done this to him so many times...
:4ness:haha http://gfycat.com/NiftyOrneryGoat
:4pacman:best way to give him a hassle recovering, doesn't get beat out by side B most of the time
:4falco:One time, I hit him deep offstage and took the stock/game mid-Phantasm, as in while he was moving lightspeed in the center of the move. I felt godlike:seuss:
:4villager:Ok, so you aren't gonna stop his recovery with Fire but you can tack on 5% one or two times

Those are only the character I specifically remember stuffing their recoveries with Fire. Add his other gimping options and half the cast has a nightmare recovering against him!

Fire is my 1st gimping option if I can help it, but I don't see a lot of others using it. Dammit, Gimr is leading everybody astray.
I would but I run Heavy Trampoline which has almost no off-stage power. On For Glory though, it's a staple of mine.

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
Yeah. It's one of many moves in your edgeguarding repertoire. I usually can string fair or bair into fire offstage. It's essential against Little Mac, as it basically forces him to recover low to avoid getting hit by it. As for characters that have a long recovery with no hitbox, you can essentially keep them from ever getting back on the stage as long as you don't screw up. Fire covers above, and fair and bair cover the sides, and you can fastfall it to reach them from below. I wouldn't use Fire exclusively to edgeguard, but it's certainly a very good move.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
"does anyone else"

(one of the most critically important moves in his edgeguard game)

lol

By the way, you live on Long Island. Am I not seeing you at tournaments for some reason, or do I just not recognize you? I can give you tons of tips and match advice live.

Last edited:

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
"does anyone else"

(one of the most critically important moves in his edgeguard game)

lol

By the way, you live on Long Island. Am I not seeing you at tournaments for some reason, or do I just not recognize you? I can give you tons of tips and match advice live.
Well, I LIVED on LI. I'm rooming upstate right now, so I can't attend any locals.
Also, I don't see G&W that much, and I was drowsy when I made this post. I don't actually know any G&W mains really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom