• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else feel the 3DS version is more fun than Wii U?

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
Seriously Challenges are easier to complete, Smash Run is a blast, Online works almost as good as the Wii U (For me atleast), I even find myself spectating matches online betting gold on the 3DS and stuff like that. Sure We may not have the Orders, Events, or things like that. But honestly, out of the two I thoroughly enjoy the 3DS version much more.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I really love the 3DS version... BUT, as much fun as I have with it, the Wii U version DOES have slightly better gameplay in smash matches.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The Wii U is, in my opinion, far superior to the 3DS version, in every possible way.
However, I am hard pressed to enjoy the single-player content, and I think that's due to me already putting so much effort into the 3DS version.

I mean, honestly, why the hell can't I unlock the custom moves I have in the 3DS version automatically? That seems like a real poor choice on Nintendo's part. Also, the Wii version's Challenge board is nightmarishly hard, and not in a good way.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
The Wii U is, in my opinion, far superior to the 3DS version, in every possible way.
However, I am hard pressed to enjoy the single-player content, and I think that's due to me already putting so much effort into the 3DS version.

I mean, honestly, why the hell can't I unlock the custom moves I have in the 3DS version automatically? That seems like a real poor choice on Nintendo's part. Also, the Wii version's Challenge board is nightmarishly hard, and not in a good way.
I guess that's what I mean. I find the single player experience much more enjoyable on 3DS. Online I'll take either or, but the 3DS for some reason is really fun for me. I even use the 3DS as a controller playing on Wii U occasionally.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The main problem with the 3DS is the fact that you have to use the Circle Pad to move your fighter, and sadly, there have been reports of broken Circle Pads, caused by improper care.

Anyway, I will pretty much agree that Smash 3DS is easier than Smash Wii U in the challenges department. It's even easier to reach Master Core on intensity 9.0 in Smash 3DS, thanks to the fact that you can just take the easiest routes to get there.

Smash Wii U's Classic mode does not give you that luxury at all; all fighters are set at the hardest skill level at intensity 9.0. And because the AI is so powerful on the higher intensity levels, you can see yourself losing both of your lives, while your opponent gets the clean sweep. To add insult to injury, if any intruders pop up, you're in even bigger trouble, as intruder fighters are either giants or metallic.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I did find myself enjoying the 3DS version's exclusive modes much more than the Wii U version's being fair. At least I haven't touched Smash Tour and the Wii U's Classic mode as much as I did with Smash Run and 3DS Classic mode.

Might just be me though, or maybe I just got tired collecting all the Character Trophies and Custom Moves on the 3DS version and don't really feel like doing it all over again on the Wii U..... :T

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I find controls more responsive in 3DS more ironically, I know more people who own SSB3DS, and I prefer Smash Run over Smash Tour anyday. Classic is also better imo, and trophy descriptions are a bit funnier.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Yeah, Smash Run is a mode that I absolutely enjoy far more than that ever so boring Smash Tour.

Soul.

Yeah, I find it more fun to play. Even if I had the Wii U version, I'd still play the 3DS version more.
Smash Wii U isn't perfect.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Yes, I find controls more responsive in 3DS more ironically, I know more people who own SSB3DS, and I prefer Smash Run over Smash Tour anyday. Classic is also better imo, and trophy descriptions are a bit funnier.
Then again, I remember playing 8-player smash with a couple of people and friends and when I was playing with my 3DS connected to the Wii U, I sware it would take almost half a second to input whatever action I did. I guess my dreams of slaying everyone with :4yoshi: will be false unless we get the Gamecube Controller Adapter...........still $90-$100. ugh.....

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Then again, I remember playing 8-player smash with a couple of people and friends and when I was playing with my 3DS connected to the Wii U, I sware it would take almost half a second to input whatever action I did. I guess my dreams of slaying everyone with :4yoshi: will be false unless we get the Gamecube Controller Adapter...........still $90-$100. ugh.....
Having Similar issues with Gamepad, Pro Controller, and 3DS. I don't like the Wii U version because I can't get normal inputs through. Characters like Sheik and Peach are annoying to play as with the lag.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Having Similar issues with Gamepad, Pro Controller, and 3DS. I don't like the Wii U version because I can't get normal inputs through. Characters like Sheik and Peach are annoying to play as with the lag.
You know, there's all these streams about Smash Wii U tournaments with everyone using Gamecube controllers with the scarce adapter. If what you're saying is true about the characters not being able to input actions very good with the controllers you've stated, then it's life's mysteries as to why Nintendo didn't make a whole lot more of the Gamecube adapters.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I enjoyed the modes of the 3DS... but the challenges of the Wii U.

I enjoy both equally, if not the Wii U more for the music and HD.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
You know, there's all these streams about Smash Wii U tournaments with everyone using Gamecube controllers with the scarce adapter. If what you're saying is true about the characters not being able to input actions very good with the controllers you've stated, then it's life's mysteries as to why Nintendo didn't make a whole lot more of the Gamecube adapters.
Yeah, I'm hoping to get one soon as people are saying it will get restocked. Honestly, I'm straying away from Smash Wii U now because honestly... why? I either have to sit super close to my television with my wired Pro Controller or no other option works, unless if I want to use a Wii Remote. You know why that won't work.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Yeah, I'm hoping to get one soon as people are saying it will get restocked. Honestly, I'm straying away from Smash Wii U now because honestly... why? I either have to sit super close to my television with my wired Pro Controller or no other option works, unless if I want to use a Wii Remote. You know why that won't work.
After 4 years of Wii Remote experience in Brawl (sort of competitively), I can definitley agree with you.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
The main problem with the 3DS is the fact that you have to use the Circle Pad to move your fighter, and sadly, there have been reports of broken Circle Pads, caused by improper care.

Anyway, I will pretty much agree that Smash 3DS is easier than Smash Wii U in the challenges department. It's even easier to reach Master Core on intensity 9.0 in Smash 3DS, thanks to the fact that you can just take the easiest routes to get there.

Smash Wii U's Classic mode does not give you that luxury at all; all fighters are set at the hardest skill level at intensity 9.0. And because the AI is so powerful on the higher intensity levels, you can see yourself losing both of your lives, while your opponent gets the clean sweep. To add insult to injury, if any intruders pop up, you're in even bigger trouble, as intruder fighters are either giants or metallic.
Master Fortress.
*slams head into desk*

Boofer

Smash Ace
I'm a little disappointed that there's no Smash Run in the Wii U version. I mean, I understand that there's a need to add to the multiplayer experience for a console game, but imo Smash Tour falls a bit short. Granted, I have not played much of ST yet as my first impression was not a good one, but I was impressed by Smash Run on my first play through. It would've been nice to see that mode expanded. Perhaps more than one big map, or something? In any case, I could play a Smash Run style game if it had been release on its own.

That said, the polish of the Wii U version is, as expected, far superior, and overall it just reeks of a great game. And still, I find myself playing the 3ds version because it's easier to pick up and play for a busy person AND oddly enough, I've had a rather difficult time adjusting to the Pro controller; more-so than to the 3ds which I'm also new to.

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123
The online for 3ds has far less lag than the Wii U version for some reason. Even when my 3DS as farther away from the router.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think both versions are amazing, but I still play Smash 3DS a lot more than Smash Wii U. Why? Because sleep mode. I let my 3DS on the whole day and I can open it up, play a couple matches and put it to sleep again and so on. I also can take it with me wherever I go. So, in the end, I play it a lot more than Smash Wii U.

On the other hand, the 3DS version online is garbage compared to Smash Wii U, so I always boot Smash Wii U when I want to play online matches. I have hardly touched any single player content on Smash Wii U, though, specially because most of the single player content is, in my opinion, as underwhelming as it gets.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Seriously Challenges are easier to complete, Smash Run is a blast, Online works almost as good as the Wii U (For me atleast), I even find myself spectating matches online betting gold on the 3DS and stuff like that. Sure We may not have the Orders, Events, or things like that. But honestly, out of the two I thoroughly enjoy the 3DS version much more.
No one really cares about the 1 player modes on the Wii U version because they're all rubbish. The main reasons that people prefer the Wii U version are the graphics, the bigger screen and the better controls.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
No one really cares about the 1 player modes on the Wii U version because they're all rubbish. The main reasons that people prefer the Wii U version are the graphics, the bigger screen and the better controls.
Better controls is subjective, though. I prefer the 3DS controls myself, too bad you can't replace them easily should they break.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Better controls is subjective, though. I prefer the 3DS controls myself, too bad you can't replace them easily should they break.
The GC controllers are generally easier to use due to the shape but more importantly they allow you a wider array of inputs. You personally may have spent so much time on the 3DS that you're more accustomed to it than a GC controller, but had you spent the same amount of time on a GC controller (and made use of the inputs that you can't do on the 3DS) you would control better on the latter.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
3DS has Race to the Finish. I'll give it that. And while Smash Run is more exciting that Smash Tour, they're both equally infuriating yet enjoyable on occasion. Smash Tour I find is easily more accessible and I have a rivalry with a goofy Mii of myself that I made from the "Take Photo" option of the Mii Maker which I named Ruffles. (That's an joke for the few who know my name so whatever...)
...... What was I on about? Oh yes Race to the Finish. Best thing on 3DS but very rarely does it come up.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smash Run on the 3DS is much more fun than Smash Tour on the Wii U. I hope Smash Run comes back for SSB5 and it allows up to four players to play the mode (with split screens). I don't want Smash Tour to come back. That mode is so boring that I only played it three times just to unlock Pac-Land.

I also like the stages on the 3DS... and best of all, they are not repetitive... so that means no two Smashvilles, no two Pokemon Stadiums (Kalos Pokemon League may not be a stadium but it sure works like one), no two Mario Circuits, no two Battlefields, no two Skyworlds, no two Wuhu Islands, and none of the stages are annoyingly too big like Palutena's Temple and Great Cave Offensive. Keep them small and balanced like Hyrule Temple!

I like Classic Mode on the 3DS... with the "choose your path" idea... and best of all, there are no 8-player battles... oh, how I hated 8-player battles on the Wii U... it is fine with human players since you are just goofing around with your friends and family, but not fine with computer players especially on Classic Mode. It is too chaotic and confusing that I lose track of where my character is.

I also like the challenges in the 3DS... at least they are forgiving and not sadistic (seriously, 8 KOs in Cruel Smash? Clear Classic 9.0 without losing a single life?)

I hope that SSB5 for Nintendo's next home console will have Classic Mode like the 3DS (without 8-player battles), Adventure Mode like Melee (but with the "choose your path" idea), All-Star Mode like the 3DS, and Smash Run like the 3DS (but you can select worlds instead of just one). Again, I say, I don't want Smash Tour to come back.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Yes, and No.
The single player options in the 3DS version are better, but standard Smashes (you know, the core of the game) are better in the Wii U version. Better control options, better stages and 8-player smash, y'know.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if I would say that Smash 3DS is more fun than Smash Wii U, since Smash in general is fun and I have been able to have fun playing all of the Smash games. That said, I think Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Smash Wii U is definitely more polished and I ended up liking 8-Player Smash a lot more that I thought I would (including 8-Player Smash in Classic). The variety of music in the game definitely impressed me and I'm looking forward to playing some tourneys once that mode comes back via an update later. The logistics of multiplayer are also much easier to handle in Smash Wii U (i.e., all you need is people and controllers, rather than each person having their own 3DS system and Smash game), so it's arguably the better game for local multiplayer.

Smash Run on the 3DS is much more fun than Smash Tour on the Wii U. I hope Smash Run comes back for SSB5 and it allows up to four players to play the mode (with split screens). I don't want Smash Tour to come back. That mode is so boring that I only played it three times just to unlock Pac-Land.

I also like the stages on the 3DS... and best of all, they are not repetitive... so that means no two Smashvilles, no two Pokemon Stadiums (Kalos Pokemon League may not be a stadium but it sure works like one), no two Mario Circuits, no two Battlefields, no two Skyworlds, no two Wuhu Islands, and none of the stages are annoyingly too big like Palutena's Temple and Great Cave Offensive. Keep them small and balanced like Hyrule Temple!

I also like the challenges in the 3DS... at least they are forgiving and not sadistic (seriously, 8 KOs in Cruel Smash? Clear Classic 9.0 without losing a single life?)

I hope that SSB5 for Nintendo's next home console will have Classic Mode like the 3DS (without 8-player battles), Adventure Mode like Melee (but with the "choose your path" idea), All-Star Mode like the 3DS, and Smash Run like the 3DS (but you can select worlds instead of just one). Again, I say, I don't want Smash Tour to come back.
I agree with all of this, really, and I'm glad you brought up stage selection. The Wii U game has some stages I really liked, such as Jungle Hijinks, Delfino Plaza, Garden of Hope, and Town and City (Kalos Pokemon League gets an honorable mention as well), but I often found myself choosing stages more because I liked their music than the stages themselves. I didn't really feel that way about the 3DS stages, even though there were some I certainly liked less than others. I think the repetition you pointed out was part of it. When playing Smash Wii U, I couldn't come up with much of a reason (aside from music choice maybe) to pick Pokemon Stadium 2 when I preferred Kalos Pokemon League or Smashville when I favored the look of Town and City. So for me, those stages were more like wasted slots than even the stages I sort of disliked because at least my less favored stages had something unique about them.

The preference for Smash Run over Smash Tour seems to be pretty common around here, so I won't belabor that point too much.

I'm with you as far as the challenges go too. I think difficulty in games is fine and I don't think it's fair for me to say that games should be super easy because of my limited skills. Even so, I think Smash already has that difficulty in the form of competitive play, so I think the difficulty level of the challenges in Smash 3DS and Brawl were fine and didn't really need to be ramped up.

Your mileage may vary about all of this stuff, of course, so feel free to disagree with me.

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Hmm my opinion.

I miss smash run, I wish they put both modes just for the sake of it. I relied on run for custom move grinding.

Fortunately, I unlocked everything on 3DS, and I've played enough times to get top notch equipment, stats, etc, and I can transfer it to the Wii U. Drawbacks are you can't edit custom characters that are transferred and you have take some considerable time to transfer customs every. darn. time. you want to update it.

I see the opposite on stages. I'm not tired of anything yet. The HUGE plus on the Wii U stages is that 1/8 of them such as Great Cave Offensive ruin the fun, while the remainder are what I think are fair. However, on 3DS, 1/2 of them are fair only. Therefore, For Fun on Wii U is better. On Wii U, I can run into Halberd, Skyloft, and about 5 more good stages before running into something like Flat Zone X. However, on 3DS, chances are the only stages on For Fun are stupid ones, such as Brinstar, Flat Zone 2, Green Hill Zone, and Mushroomy Kingdom.

And an obvious drawback to Wii U is that chances are your friends don't even have a Wii U, and the only way to play is for them to come over to your home. The 3DS mostly solves this.

ENDJIGGS

Smash Rookie
I too feel this way, I have played both versions a lot with friends and I feel like the wii u version is exactly like the 3ds version but with superior graphics and different stages, however, 3ds super smash Bros is the first PORTABLE version of the game, which is able to be connected to the wii u version due to their similaritys and gameplay

Folt

Smash Ace
Count me in as a person who has more fun with the 3DS version than the Wii U version. Portability, better 1P Classic, more personalized experience, easier challenges, Smash Run, and more original stages I like seal the deal for me.

EDIT: Well, that and unlocking custom moves also wasn't as frustrating to do as on Wii U.

Last edited:
We've heard a few people say the same. It might be due to your particular life style. Do you find yourself playing more portable games in general as compared to console or PC?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
It's simple:

For Single player modes and for fun stuff, the 3ds version is better.

For Matches in general, the Wii U version is better.

Last edited:

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
You guys forgot thy most important thing the 3ds has over the Wii U, easier time to unlock custom moves. The biggest hindrance to the custom move competitive scene has been the logistics in unlocking all the moves on the Wii U.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
Smash 3DS is a great game and I had fun for the short time I played of it....
But Damn i wish it didn't exist...

Eghlieght

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-9126-9199
while i don't own a wii-u, i have played on it and i feel that the circle pad is much more responsive and easier to pull off quick tilts with. that for me makes me prefer the 3ds version, but being able to use the 3ds as a controller on the wii-u is nice.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I strangely play the 3DS version more. Perhaps because I'm too lazy to go downstairs and turn on my Wii U. :U

Also, I kinda wish the Wii U version had Smash Run. That was fun. Smash Run was the only mode closest to Subspace Emissary anyway...

Top Bottom