• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you Spike?

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
Watching the new pluck you trailer, i saw he spiked a lot with olimar...I was wondering...do most olimar mainers spike a lot, or at least try to? Me, I almost never spike....only certain times when I am playing a snake or just someone that isn't good. But I find when I play most good people they go low and use their Vertical recovery right at the ledge to avoid a potential spike(example marth). Anyways I don't spike...do you?

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what it is, but I can't stop myself from jumping off once I see them trying to recover. I usually SH off the ledge and attempt a Dair above them, but it's tough to make hit, IMO, though you wouldn't know it from watchng that video your talkin' about. He seemed to make it hit em' while they were floating around IN FRONT of Oli, whereas I an only do it about 50% of the time and only from directly above them. Maybe I'm too obvious with my movements or somethin? I'll have t take a closer look at where the pikmin actually makes contact... Sometimes jut runnin' off a Fair'n em is just as effective, ya know? Just not as fun. I love that huge risk an Oli player takes jumping far off the ledge to make it over and spike someone down.

I've spiked before as low as 30-40% against really dumb opponents,thanks to a red or purple pik. If I miss, momentum usually pulls me down to nearly off screen below the stage, at which point the chain is useless; not too far from the ledge just.. occupado. -_-;

I summary, yes, I usually attempt a spike, especially after 50% or so. I really need to work on my technique though... =\

peeup

Smash Lord
Firstly, I believe its a meteor smash.

Secondly, yeah, I try to meteor smash when the opprotunity presents itself, but I'm not very successful. usually I'll just fair them instead, its easier and it helps to push them towards the edge of the screen.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
You should always attempt to spike when its a wise choice to do so, but most pros are aware of how to avoid it. Don't base your koing strategy on spiking, it won't work.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I try to spike if they recover vertically, but everything else I just fair or somethin.

Excellence

Smash Champion
If the opportunity arises for a spike, I usually take the risk and score an easy KO. If they're already at a higher percentage and away from the edge, I'll usually just chose to f-air, because it's a lot easier and more reliable.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Yes. Spiking is GOOD. It's just difficult to time is all. It makes for some great low percentage KOs, and even set up some of my friends under the lip in Final Destination. If you can master the awkward positioning, then you've got yourself a good killing move.

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
I try, but I'm not good at it. I can meteor smash Sandbag consistently, but that's about it.

asob4

Smash Champion
i usually go for ledge hopped spikes so i can DI back to the stage, do a rising dair, or follow them down and spike then double jump > up b immediately
it's best when it's during the textbook combo.i spiked a marth at 8% once for death hehe

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
spiking is GODLY my friend says its the honorable way to die but its hilarious when u do it 2 someone and seeing their expressions after

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
I agree about spiking at key times, I dunno I just rarely find myself spiking or having a good opportunity to. I guess i am really not looking for it either...but I agree its a great kill move

R3v3nant

Smash Cadet
I spike whenever there's an opportunity to do it. Olimar's spike is relatively easy to pull and requires minimal spacing. It's a great way to kill at lower percentages and is an alternative to killing them using U-smash.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I spike, or Meteor Smash whichever it is when the opportunity arises, it's always a fun way to KO especially with Purple or Yellow Pikmin it's just oh so satisfying.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I spike onstage, offstage, in my sleep and while i'm driving. Once you've practiced it enough, you can use Olimar's dair to approach from above and a combo finisher, too. Also works against ness' thunder

Also, the best way to score a spike offstage is to get near the opponent, double jump to draw the attack/air dodge, THEN spike. It works great and sometimes you can even score the epic footstool spike combo, like i did in a tourney last night :D

jmanxiv

Smash Apprentice
I always try to spike it is hard not to miss on opponents like bowser of DeDeDe.I spike people at 10% sometimes too.

Rocann

Smash Lord
basically no, and especially when they're below the stage, have a spiking recovery (falco), or I need 2 jumps to get to them (too risky.) every once in a while I throw it out and my favorite is when you flub one so they're just stunned there for a second, then you double jump and throw another one out for a real spike, that's sickness.

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
I like trying to spike. Though it is very difficult to get the attack to hit. Not only that, Sometimes i end up fast falling beyond the length of my Chain

gorgon.

Smash Ace
I don't spike very often, but it can be a good option when the opportunity arises. As an Oli player I never venture too far off the edge; I spike when they're close. Sometimes I SH off the stage, right above/beside the edge, and Dair. People trying to grab the edge get hit and spiked to their death. You'd be surprised how many people I've hit.

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
I love spiking.. Maybe a little too much as I find myself jumping off to spike and missing frequently. Luckily Olimar has the great ability of controlling the ledge with mindgames and pikmin chain (provided he's not edgehogged of course).

Other times it's not really worth trying to spike, usually character specificaly (R.O.B, is pretty useless to spike, as he can just up-B out of it)

geekd

Smash Apprentice
I try to meteor smash at low percents and fair/bair at high percents. I will never dair unless it is the only way to score the kill. It's flashy but less reliable.

Top Bottom