• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you Prefer the Old Bair?

Which Bair?

• Total voters

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
It seems to me like the old Bair was better in just about every way compared to the current one except in kill power. It had longer active frames/a sourspot, was safer on shield, had better hitboxes, and had less endlag. The new Bair is very situational and I can barely land it against smaller characters.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
The kill move Bair is pretty hot offstage. And as an Uthrow followup. Plus it autocancels on short hop, so it's safer on shield in that regard. I mean, did Bowsers really fall on people's shields with Bair in Brawl? I will agree though that the loss in active frames is pretty noteworthy. I can't imagine anybody cared about moves like that in previous games, but for smash 4 where you need attacks to cover one or 2 frame vulnerability scenarios at the ledge, that's a big deal. Nair can guarantee a hit for those scenarios, but it doesn't send them back out there or kill in its own right.

But overall, like many of Bowser's moves in the transition between games, I'd say Bair is a net gain. Most characters would kill to have an aerial with that much damage and knockback and only 9 frames of startup.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Bair works out of Uthrow? Are you referring to as an air dodge read or is there actually enough time to do it with frame perfection?
Of course it works, Uair and Bair have the same 9 frame startup. But you can't connect at the same generous points as Uair because Bair doesn't reach above us, only behind. So it will only work at mid percents where they aren't sent high enough that a double jump is necessary. Gingerly turning around Bowser before jumping takes practice. We like Bair not for killing, but for its low launch angle forcing an edgeguard and potentially earlier stock. And if the edgeguard fails, the 19% is still on par with the alternative choice of Nair that would have dealt 12-24%

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Bair works out of Uthrow? Are you referring to as an air dodge read or is there actually enough time to do it with frame perfection?
Yes, there is enough time to do it and yes, it is a U-Throw follow-up. Great example would be the Grand Finals between Chaos and Keitaro. I will actually be working on finding percentages in which is it is a true combo this weekend. If schoolwork allows it, hopefully I will only have to spend OE day on it rather than multiple weekends.

Kerthorok

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kerthorok
Only aerial that I preferred was the old nair. All of Bowser's current attacks are way better in utility and appearance.

Top Bottom