• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you like the NEW (not as OP) MetaKnight?

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
So Meta Knight is probably the most different character in Smash 4 over Brawl. Do you like the new nerfed Meta Knight?

Check out this video to see me try him out online : )

D

Deleted member

I stick to him (he's my main), but I really wish they'd give him some buffs...

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
He needs either a attack buff or a range buff(to match his sword). He is still good. You just need to actually apply effort in your fights.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
I'm really liking him. All he needs is a fix to his animations to match his boxes, really. Some things I noticed from the first few minutes of your video, you use Fsmash way too much, and Shuttle Loop too little. SH isn't really a move you're likely to whiff if you're careful about it, it comes out super fast, and has a larger hitbox(I think) than most of MK's moves. Fsmash also has a sh*t ton of delay, so you probably shouldn't rely on it for kills, if Zard was being more careful they could have avoided it. Also Nair's priority isn't too good, and it's a long move, so I'd suggest using it for offstage kills as opposed to interrupting recovery attempts, and only if you're not in a position to Bair.

EDIT: Also, Dthrow followups are worth practicing.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Yeah Shuttle Loop and occasionally Bair will be more reliable kill moves. Fsmash is too punishable to ever use.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I stick to him (he's my main), but I really wish they'd give him some buffs...
agreeing with meta knight buffs is something i never thought id do, but yea his sword attacks just feel off. Hard to apply his specials since we are so used to those moves being safe and really good

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Shuttle Loop and occasionally Bair will be more reliable kill moves. Fsmash is too punishable to ever use.
Fsmash can actually be used as a frame trap option. For example, let's say you just did a Dthrow-Shuttleloop. You fall straight down, and begin buffering an Fsmash behind you. The opponent techs towards you, hoping to dodge the follow up dash attack, and gets hit by the Fsmash, netting you a kill in some cases.

However, I do agree that Fsmash is really punishable. However, if you use it sparingly, you can use it very well in frame traps.

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
Meta Knight needs 1 lagless areal (neutral) and less lag on every special to match the rest of the cast.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I've been enjoying playing as :4metaknight:, the best part is the lack of the guilt you'd have when playing as :metaknight:, couldn't ever feel good when I won in brawl, now I'm able to enjoy playing as him to it's full extent:happysheep:.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
I love him. Definitely one of my mains, I know people complain about his range and attack power, but really, his range doesn't bother me. You need to learn to get up close and personal with Meta Knight, and right fully so. In the air, his attacks are incredibly quick. Learning to combo with him is key, and finding ways of using kill moves after building up damage is certainly tricky, but I feel I'm getting used to it. He's overlooked a lot as a low tier character, but his potential is very high.

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
Regardless of his nerfs, his playstyle is pretty much the same. And his playstyle is pretty damn fun and satisfying to win with in this iteration.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
I never really used him in Brawl, just tried him out today and I'm actually liking him.
I think I might use him a bit more..

Super___Sonico

Smash Rookie
Meta Knight is a side character for me at the moment. But I really like Meta Knight in both games.

That said. I think his kill moves are better in Smash 4

SSBSteve

Smash Rookie
Meta Knight is currently my main and I am enjoying him more the more I play him.

At first he felt awfully clunky, lacked combos and never reached. But now He moves very well, combos decently and never reaches. It is very satisfying to land the final blow with any of his kill moves however (Foward-Smash, Up-Special, Down-Special).

Right now I am annoyed with his Down-Smash. It clearly looks like the sword touches my opponent but never actually hits. Its misleading to how far my range really is and I end up leaving my self to more attacks.

His Back-Air spikes on the second hit which is great...But most of the time I spike an enemy to the groumd and they would Neutral-Air out of it straight away. This is usually an accidental spike and not a useful one as it never works when I want it to (to spike them off stage)!

Pokepal148

Smash Rookie
Just tweak his range a bit and we'll probably be good. He could use another kill option as well but that's about it.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Just tweak his range a bit and we'll probably be good. He could use another kill option as well but that's about it.
He's already hella good as it is, if anything was to get buffed it would be his damage per hit to compensate for his range. Another Kill option? You crazy? Lemme list his kill moves

• Down Smash 2nd hit
  • F-Smash
  • U-Smash
  • Dimensional Cape
  • Bair
  • Nair
  • Shuttle Loop
  • Nado(With Rage)
  • Up Throw
Now for kill set ups

• Down throw to Shuttle Loop
  • Dtilt to Dimensional Cape
  • Dtilt near the ledge into Bair
  • Forward throw into Shuttle Loop
  • Dash attack into Shuttle Loop
  • Uair to Shuttle Loop
And he needs another one?

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
Now for kill set ups

• Down throw to Shuttle Loop
  • Dtilt to Dimensional Cape
  • Dtilt near the ledge into Bair
  • Forward throw into Shuttle Loop
  • Dash attack into Shuttle Loop
  • Uair to Shuttle Loop
I agree killing isn't his problem, he has a rather low damage output (which is why nado is so useful). The buffs I would like to see for meta knight is more interesting customs.

Could you imagine the insanity if mk got a weak or slow projectile as one of his customs? Half of his real in game appearances have him with projectiles attack options. That would change up the sonic mu entirely.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I like him way more than Brawl. And not just because he's rebalanced, but because I like the way he's been rebalanced. His KO power and combo ability are perfectly fair but also satisfying. His B attacks, while all nerfed, are ironically all more useful KO moves (Nado is harder to SDI, DC is WAY stronger and SL kills just as early and is easier to land in a lethal fashion), just much worse for recovery. I don't even mind his range, or his damage output. He deals damage just fine in a combo, especially with throws, nair and nado.

And he doesn't even need much damage when bair kills at 90% offstage, SL kills at around 110% on most, especially grounded or near the top blast zone, DC kills around the same point, and FSmash kills at 70% on a read. He doesn't need damage like, say, Pikachu.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I neither hate, nor love Meta Knight in Smash4, but i do agree that his hitbox should be extended to match his sword.
Visually connecting, yet whiffing your attack must be friggin' frustrating.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Ive been playing a lot of MK recently since I picked up a Brawl and subsequently Project M - and I thought I'd compare it to Smash 4 (I really didnt touch MK at all in Smash 4).

Honestly I was pleasantly surprised, I really enjoyed his play in 4 - I actually like how much I can string combos together on him.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
I like the fact that he's not broken in this game. I really like Meta Knight as a character and so being able to use him without it being easy-mode is an improvement to me.

I never played Brawl competitively so I'm not sure of all the changes, but initially Smash 4 Meta Knight felt a bit more clunky to me then Brawl Meta Knight. Once I got more comfortable with him though, I found him really fun to play. He feels like a really solid character even despite his flaws. Planning to main him alongside Falcon.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
I know this sounds crazy, but I like the new MK more than the old one. He may be nerfed, but he feels so buffed. His sword no longer being transcendent means he can clash away projectiles, his tornado now has actual knockback at the end, his up b and down b are now more reliable as kill moves, and so many of his moves true combo into his up b.

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
His perfect the way he is now, just some buffs would be nice, for instance, more range, that way his up air strings would be incredible. But still, a good competitive meta knight is incredible.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
I just noticed, your mains are the same as mine except for the slightly different space animal (and different colors).

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I like him better now. I can use him without feeling guilty and he takes effort to win with rather than in Brawl where his Shuttle Loop, Mach Tornado and D-Smash were instant-win buttons.

Avakrr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cluelessjoe
3DS FC
4511-0460-5313
Metaknight is a extremely underrated And completely viable character. I feel like the only reason people don't like him is because he was the most nerfed or because he isn't overpowered. (Which is dumb :p) he's now a mix of poking, overwhelming, and damage racking. Or that's how I play him at least. If played well, he can be an extremely hard to fight Meta-Knightmare.

Last edited:

Avakrr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cluelessjoe
3DS FC
4511-0460-5313
Well duhh :p But he needs more love. he's immidiatley deemed "terrible" either because of the Event Hubs Tier List or because he's not op. Which is kinda the same argument actually.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Any tier list that has him at mid tier or below is terrible. Aka reddit, eventub, community list on this board, users tier lists etc.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I was a bit iffy on him at launch, I was happy that he was no longer overpowered as **** but he didn't feel all that great to play. Luckily patches came and while they didn't change a lot of things they did change some very crucial things, he now feels better than ever before imo. He might not be a top character but he's certainly the one I enjoy playing the most.

Last edited:
Top Bottom