• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you like the Idea of puppet-based characters?

Kalamander

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kalamander
3DS FC
2809-9438-7271
Or any character that can summon things to help them fight?

EXAMPLES OF PUPPET-BASED CHARACTERS:
-Viola(Soul Calibur 5 "and a REALLY good example at that")
-Orianna(League Of Legends)
-Ice Climbers
-Carl Clover(Blaz Blue)
-Rosalina and Luma (Of Course!)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
You can probably consider the entire cast of Persona 4 Arena to be a flavor of puppet fighter as well, although Shadow Labrys fits the archetype the most since her Persona is out at all times. And I know Guilty Gear has a puppet fighter or two in there as well, I just can't remember who they are. I think Bridget and Eddie?

I really love the idea of a puppet fighter, since the mere existence of a second controllable entity opens up a whole world of interesting techniques and options, and both playing as and playing against them becomes more of a strategy game. The puppet user has to worry about proper placement of the puppet and how to utilize it, and the opponent...is usually out of luck now that I think about it, since Smash seems fairly unique in that there are opportunities to swat the puppet away. (Unless Nirvana is vulnerable if Carl messes up? I haven't played much BlazBlue.)

My personal issue with them is that they usually require a degree of execution that I simply don't have the time or inclination to master. The puppet usually has their own unique set of commands that have to be executed in tandem with the main fighter's moves, which is just that many more inputs per second to smoothly handle. Heaven help you if the puppet has a lot of windup and thus you have to send the input several moves in advance of when it needs to hit. This is basically the only reason I couldn't really handle using the Ice Climbers, I couldn't deal with the precision necessary to make Nana do what I wanted her to. Rosalina is a lot simpler.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina & Luma are the first puppet character I consider myself good with in a fighting game. I'm usually going for the fast, combo, and juggle-centric characters.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more in Smash though.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Love them. Viola, Carl, and now Rosalina. All fun and effective.

I don't really count Ice Climbers myself, in that Nana is not as controlled as Luma, Ada, or Viola's orb. There isn't a set definition, though, so I wouldn't disagree with calling them Puppet fighters either.

I wish Zelda's Phantom was more self sufficient and stayed out for a tad longer. Then Zelda might even be considered a mini puppet character.

Last edited:

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
In Smash, definitely. Being an Icies main for close to a year now it's safe to say I've really adapted to them, and with Rosie&Luma fitting my playstyle it only made sense for me to main them. In terms of other games however, I'm a very different player. In MvC2, I'll normally play Team Watts (Blackheart/Sentinel/CaptainCommando) and in UMvC3 I play Dormammu/Doom/Phoenix. My playstyle varies across most games cus in the Smash series, it's puppeteers, in VS series of fighters I play lame teams, and in anime fighters (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Persona) I just play really weird characters.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I like them but they have to be balanced well. By the way none of the characters in Persona 4 Arena characters are puppet characters except Ken in the new Ultimax which he is fun to use in.

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
I like them but they have to be balanced well. By the way none of the characters in Persona 4 Arena characters are puppet characters except Ken in the new Ultimax which he is fun to use in.
Narukami says hi, a lot of his pressure is based around controlling Izanagi separately

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
Wouldn't consider Ori a puppet based character, but yes I do enjoy playing them. The beautiful part about them is that because of their utility, they're always going to be solid picks in any game, no matter how you nerf them.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Shadow Labrys? Also most of the cast has sufficient variety in their persona moves to keep them out doing stuff for quite a while. Yukiko and Elizabeth come to mind.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Ultimax is my first time buying P4A and I've been really busy with Smash so I'll go back and look soon. But as far as my definition of a puppet character, Ken was the only one...

Now that I'm looking online, I guess Shadow Labrys is. I have to go play it more later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom