• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you like Little Mac? Like, in Smash Bros.?

Do you think Little Mac is a good addition to Smash?

• Total voters

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
No hate towards the character in videogame media overall, but I ask you, who the hell wanted this guy in Smash? Who saw logic in this guy being in Smash other than the fact that he's among Nintendo? How do you apply a moveset for something like this without being gimmicky? Exactly, you don't. Little Mac has got to be the most unique character in Smash, having a moveset completely different from every other character even among the newcomers of Smash. Perhaps too different. Little Mac can barely do anything in the air. (Sure, there's that new mechanic that allows him to K.O. uppercut in the air, but that and probably one other thing are about literally it for Little Mac's air game). Little Mac's strategy is all about the ground combat and charging for the K.O. uppercut. You could also mix it up a bit by playing a little bit of mindgames by either rolling or attempting to fake out your attack.

EDIT: I would also like to note, if I haven't stated it already that for me, Little Mac doesn't feel like a Smash Bros. character at all. He does things completely different from other characters, not trying to edgeguard the opponent, barely having an air game, etc. he just doesn't feel like one. I feel as if you have to do some things not Smash Bros. like in order to use him.

I utterly despise how simple this character is to use. It's pretty much all you do with him and all you can do with him. There's not much else to it. Most common casuals thinks he's a broken character simply because of his ridiculous attack and good speed, but he's not. Little Mac can be knocked off the ledge easily. For the majority of Little Macs that have been played, they're predictable as the general overall ending of every Phineas and Ferb episode to mankind. What I mean is if someone doesn't know how to expertly use him (which would be a surprise to me if someone did), they will get 2 stocked and most likely ragequit. Not like I've been losing against this guy as a character, really. Whenever his superguard punches finish me off, or when I devilishly 2-stock him with this demon thing called a Yoshi the majority of the time, I feel like the person on the other side of the screen really didn't want to think and just wanted to win with something quote-on-quote "broken".

So why am I complaining if the majority of the time nowadays I can win against Little Mac? Why am I writing essays about "X character is stupid" when "I can best him with Y character?" Because I love games that make you think a little bit and reward you for doing so. I would care less for simple games that become popular and people follow like Call of Duty. And yes, this is most simplest Smash game I have ever played (Mastered Yoshi in pretty much about 2 weeks) (Also, no hate toawrds this game overall. This game, both 3DS and Wii U are one of the best competitive Smash games I played, and the best overall Smash game I have played). But when it comes to competitive play at it's absolute finest, Smash Bros. is a different beast: One where you must think approaches, what your opponent is going to do the next second, what you should do in said second, advanced techs that assist your character, and so, SOOO much more. Please, show me a video about a competitive match between a professional Little Mac main or secondary vs. another professional smasher with any character showing me there's more to Little Mac.

Love this game, love my main, love the majority of everything else in these games. But I just came for your opinion whenever someone disgusts me for making this thread or not. I've heard plenty of Little Mac topics about "people think he's broken but he's really not", "Little Mac is OU in For Glory", etc. in which that and the Little Macs I have seen are enough to make me ask all of you Smash 4 competitive players out there: Was Little Mac worth being a character in Smash 4 to you? Do you think he is a valuable character in this game? Honestly, please.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For some people, part of the thrill of playing Mac
IS the limitations imposed by his design.
There's nothing quite like using with someone
with such obvious weaknesses and winning in spite of them.

If you're bemoaning his status as a character chosen
by noobs looking for easy wins, you kinda have to realize
that these kinds of characters exist in almost every fighting
game, and if Little Mac weren't in this game, someone else
would likely fill that role. There was Zelda and sometimes Meta Knight in Brawl,
Link in Melee, and Kirby has been Stoning rookies since 64.

People wanted Little Mac in Smash because he's
a renowned fighter and, well, if there's even a somewhat beloved
character in Nintendo pantheon, there's someone who wants him
or her in Smash. Simple as that. If Little Mac wasn't the way
he is now, how different would he from say, Captain Falcon?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
For some people, part of the thrill of playing Mac
IS the limitations imposed by his design.
There's nothing quite like using with someone
with such obvious weaknesses and winning in spite of them.

If you're bemoaning his status as a character chosen
by noobs looking for easy wins, you kinda have to realize
that these kinds of characters exist in almost every fighting
game, and if Little Mac weren't in this game, someone else
would likely fill that role. There was Zelda and sometimes Meta Knight in Brawl,
Link in Melee, and Kirby has been Stoning rookies since 64.

People wanted Little Mac in Smash because he's
a renowned fighter and, well, if there's even a somewhat beloved
character in Nintendo pantheon, there's someone who wants him
or her in Smash. Simple as that. If Little Mac wasn't the way
he is now, how different would he from say, Captain Falcon?
You're saying Zelda was the kind of character noobs would pick and expect to win? I mean Meta Knight I believe you but Zelda can't be that basic to use for someone to pick up and play. Just sayin'. Also, was Link also some favorited character during the first years of Melee? What were noobs doing? Spamming Up-B on the ground?

Still, if people keep failing with these kind of characters, noobs or not, since they should've been losing to people with more experience to this game, shouldn't these people try to find a better answer? Stop spamming whatever they thought was useful and learn what else that character could do and what you should do with said character if you didn't find another character to use? Or are people actually winning with Little Mac a lot of the time and that doesn't change? Or.....are people that "noobish" in Smash to not even care about what more there is to competitive Smash? Questions everywhere in this world I say!

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Your first three sentences could be said about Pacman, DHD, CF, and a handful of others. Also a lot of contradictory statements.

Basically, as I've said elsewhere, Little Mac's is an easy to learn, hard to master type character. Partly because he's not a rusher, but a defensive punisher, as a boxer should be. The big reason is that you need a good grasp of mechanics we haven't discovered and named yet to play. Little Mac is a valued addition to the roster, due to his great history in Nintendo, novelty, and his moveset. I'm surprised it took this long to put him in a smash game.

Noobs will play him, that's all it is. No reason to get any more mad than you have to about it. But like you said, he's easy to gimp. Since he's still viable in higher level play, there's nothing to discuss in regards to "should he be on the roster?"

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You're saying Zelda was the kind of character noobs would pick and expect to win? I mean Meta Knight I believe you but Zelda can't be that basic to use for someone to pick up and play. Just sayin'. Also, was Link also some favorited character during the first years of Melee? What were noobs doing? Spamming Up-B on the ground?

Still, if people keep failing with these kind of characters, noobs or not, since they should've been losing to people with more experience to this game, shouldn't these people try to find a better answer? Stop spamming whatever they thought was useful and learn what else that character could do and what you should do with said character if you didn't find another character to use? Or are people actually winning with Little Mac a lot of the time and that doesn't change? Or.....are people that "noobish" in Smash to not even care about what more there is to competitive Smash? Questions everywhere in this world I say!
If you don't know how to shield in Brawl, her smashes
beat almost everything, and Din's Fire blasts
you everyday all day until you die.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
I think lil mac is the worst character in the game, at least in for glory. Ironically, I thought he was Op at first lol.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Your first three sentences could be said about Pacman, DHD, CF, and a handful of others. Also a lot of contradictory statements.

Basically, as I've said elsewhere, Little Mac's is an easy to learn, hard to master type character. Partly because he's not a rusher, but a defensive punisher, as a boxer should be. The big reason is that you need a good grasp of mechanics we haven't discovered and named yet to play. Little Mac is a valued addition to the roster, due to his great history in Nintendo, novelty, and his moveset. I'm surprised it took this long to put him in a smash game.

Noobs will play him, that's all it is. No reason to get any more mad than you have to about it. But like you said, he's easy to gimp. Since he's still viable in higher level play, there's nothing to discuss in regards to "should he be on the roster?"
So paying attention to the second paragraph, there's just more mechanics we could learn. Too early to judge Little Mac and his maximum potential? Fair enough. Agreed.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Wow, this thread has to be one of the most useless polls I've ever seen. And you asked the question in the Little Mac boards. What did you think the overall answer would be? :p

To answer the main question, I've wanted Little Mac ever since I saw his assist trophy in Brawl. One of the scariest of the whole AT bunch, if you ask me, I'm glad he's back as an unique character.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
Little Mac is from Punch-Out!!, what I'm pretty sure is one of Nintendo's first 3 franchises that are still alive. He's also a fighter. Punch-Out!! is older than Kid Icarus, Zelda, Metroid, etc. and Little Mac is ALREADY a fighter. It's a no-brainer that he'd be in the game. Honestly, he should've been in the very first game. In terms of GAMEPLAY? I'm not sure I like the way he is, but I love Punch-Out!! enough to main him. It does make sense, however -- Little Mac has awful recovery because he was super fragile in Punch-Out!!. When he got a chain going in Punch-Out!!, he'd have to stop after a certain amount of punches, which is a parallel to not being able to chase opponents into the air. I also find it neat that he plays much like his AT did -- he has a powerful, early-kill uppercut, a fast dash speed, a jab combo, and he can't chase people into the air. It sounds like you're taking salt out on the character(and by extension, Punch-Out!!) as a whole. Little Mac is out of approach options, mainly because he never approached in Punch-Out!!. In a competitive scene, no Little Mac could sprint right up to their opponent.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Little Mac is from Punch-Out!!, what I'm pretty sure is one of Nintendo's first 3 franchises that are still alive. He's also a fighter. Punch-Out!! is older than Kid Icarus, Zelda, Metroid, etc. and Little Mac is ALREADY a fighter. It's a no-brainer that he'd be in the game. Honestly, he should've been in the very first game. In terms of GAMEPLAY? I'm not sure I like the way he is, but I love Punch-Out!! enough to main him. It does make sense, however -- Little Mac has awful recovery because he was super fragile in Punch-Out!!. When he got a chain going in Punch-Out!!, he'd have to stop after a certain amount of punches, which is a parallel to not being able to chase opponents into the air. I also find it neat that he plays much like his AT did -- he has a powerful, early-kill uppercut, a fast dash speed, a jab combo, and he can't chase people into the air. It sounds like you're taking salt out on the character(and by extension, Punch-Out!!) as a whole. Little Mac is out of approach options, mainly because he never approached in Punch-Out!!. In a competitive scene, no Little Mac could sprint right up to their opponent.
Then again, considering history, he probably should've been in the very first game. Although I didn't know how popular he was back then sooo......

But yeah I see your point.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
He is certainly a worthy addition, my personal dislike of the sheer amount of them that pop up online put to one side.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
He is certainly a worthy addition, my personal dislike of the sheer amount of them that pop up online put to one side.
Glad you at least understand where I come from making stuff like this. :)

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, he is certainly a fun addition to Smash Bros. and I really don't have anything bad to say about him.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I like the character ,just not the way he was executed.

He should have been a normal character without the gimmicks and ko move.

He's a headache to fight if the little mac player is good.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I like the character ,just not the way he was executed.

He should have been a normal character without the gimmicks and ko move.

He's a headache to fight if the little mac player is good.
Yeah. It's one thing to fight little mac and his annoying superguard, but against one who predicts everything, it's a nightmare to deal with.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Isn't anyone who always predicts what you do really annoying to play against? Especially if it's someone like Ganon?
Little Mac is 10x worse with a good reader. Both Ganon and C. Falcon are deadly with people who can make reads and plays, but it's not like they have superarmor or anything like that (Ironically said by the PM Bowser player).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Little Mac is 10x worse with a good reader. Both Ganon and C. Falcon are deadly with people who can make reads and plays, but it's not like they have superarmor or anything like that (Ironically said by the PM Bowser player).
You really need to give props to people who can roll you with Little Mac like that, especially
when you consider how deadly mistakes can be when using him.

And actually taking advantage of the armour on his smashes instead of just tanking hits by accident
is also a sign of mastery and not scrubbery.

If Little Mac had his "gimmicks" taken away (KO Punch, terrible air game and recovery etc.), how would he stand out?

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
He absolutely deserved his spot in Smash.
Little Mac is one of the oldest Nintendo characters, and Punch Out got a lot of love, references, and spoofs even decades after its' release by both fans and Nintendo themselves, unlike Kid Icarus and Ice Climbers who only people started remembering after melee & brawl.

And Punch Out! for wii only rekindled my wish of him being in Smash for me and many people.
I'm not going to dislike a character i've liked for decades just because he is popular with noobs who have no understanding of Smash's basics.

It's true that his playstyle becomes very limited at higher level play (and a literal struggle against any decent opponent who knows about Little Mac's weaknesses), but that's exactly the reason why he's so interesting:
"Will i be able to overcome Mac's extreme flaws, and use his strength to win a battle?
How can i overcome a campy/zoning opponent? I can't get knocked off-stage even once, or i'm as good as dead!"

And defeating an opponent with your K.O.punch is just satisfying, seeing how hard it can be to hit with this move. (or even keeping it without loosing it)

TL:DR: He deserved to be in Smash, and as Tino said; he's a fun addition.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
You really need to give props to people who can roll you with Little Mac like that, especially
when you consider how deadly mistakes can be when using him.

And actually taking advantage of the armour on his smashes instead of just tanking hits by accident
is also a sign of mastery and not scrubbery.

If Little Mac had his "gimmicks" taken away (KO Punch, terrible air game and recovery etc.), how would he stand out?
Right, I forget that someone I'm facing in For Glory mode is either a noob or a pro. It's once in a blue moon that someone takes me out using a Little Mac by doing things over and over again (sometimes I feel I can overcome that) and usually when I face someone who knows what they're doing, they're using Shiek, C. Falcon, or sometimes a Falco, Samus, etc.

I fought one Little Mac who I at least was able to chat with via Smashladder. He was getting new to the website and everything and afterwards he 2-0'd me with Little Mac. I don't recall raging that moment. I just knew he was being nice and saying it was a good game / match. In For Glory, I don't know who I'm facing, whenever it's a professional who just wants to play games, or some person that justs wants to win once and then just leave.

Considering my experiences, maybe this was too harsh of a title for a thread. Maybe I should've called it something like, "Have you ever raged at Little Mac before?"

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Right, I forget that someone I'm facing in For Glory mode is either a noob or a pro. It's once in a blue moon that someone takes me out using a Little Mac by doing things over and over again (sometimes I feel I can overcome that) and usually when I face someone who knows what they're doing, they're using Shiek, C. Falcon, or sometimes a Falco, Samus, etc.

I fought one Little Mac who I at least was able to chat with via Smashladder. He was getting new to the website and everything and afterwards he 2-0'd me with Little Mac. I don't recall raging that moment. I just knew he was being nice and saying it was a good game / match. In For Glory, I don't know who I'm facing, whenever it's a professional who just wants to play games, or some person that justs wants to win once and then just leave.

Considering my experiences, maybe this was too harsh of a title for a thread. Maybe I should've called it something like, "Have you ever raged at Little Mac before?"
I'm think we've all "raged" against pretty much every character that beats us at some point, especially on For Glory.
Personally the biggest source of this for me is R.O.B.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I'm think we've all "raged" against pretty much every character that beats us at some point, especially on For Glory.
Personally the biggest source of this for me is R.O.B.
I assume because of the lasers and spin top?

Koby_T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kobyteith
I like how exaggerated he is in terms of strengths and weaknesses. I think that the cast isn't quite big enough for the distinctions though. Too many characters are unlike him that it leads to the general population thinking he's either cheap or a joke with hardly any in-between.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I like how exaggerated he is in terms of strengths and weaknesses. I think that the cast isn't quite big enough for the distinctions though. Too many characters are unlike him that it leads to the general population thinking he's either cheap or a joke with hardly any in-between.
I'd probably agree with the ladder: a joke with anything in between. Now that I think about it, there are like 2 things in Sm4sh that got popular for all te reaons of rage: Little Mac, and Diddy Kong's down-throw to up-air.

Top Bottom