• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you have to L-Cancel with L?

What button do you use to L-Cancel?

• Total voters

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I've been learning to L-Cancel as of late, but I'm having a slight disagreement with my left index finger.

That is to say, learning the proper timing seems to be more about judging how long it takes for my finger to actually press the button. I've been having a lot more success with R.

Is there some advantage to L that I'm not seeing? Or is it just a name?

waygu

Smash Lord
just the name. you can do it with any button that's mapped to shield.

Last edited:

Crulex Crystallite

Smash Cadet
Yes. As said above, your keybinds are changeable and it's basically just that "shield button = action/tech button".

I personally feel very comfortable with R, and sometimes I use L or Z depending on what my hands are doing. Do you bro!

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The "L" in L-Cancelling stands for "Lag", dude. As in "Landing Lag". Not the actual L-Button.

Just use R.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I'm aware that any shield button works for it, that's why I made the poll asking about people's preferred button.

It's just that every time I read about the subject, people always say "press L", and I was wondering if there was a reason to use that one over the others.

I understand if people just say "L" as a placeholder for the sake of simplicity, though.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Yea. And in ssb64 it was called:

Zlag-Cancelling

Abbreviated to Z-Canceling.
Actually, it was officially called "Smooth Landing" in the manual and on the website. ¦D

Hence "Smooth Lander" in Smash 4.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
wait people use R to l-cancel

I thought everyone had R set to attack these days for dacus
...Why would anyone do that and how would it even work?

I just use the C-Stick to start the dash attack and Up+Z for the Up-Smash like I was taught originally. It's pretty easy.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
...Why would anyone do that and how would it even work?

I just use the C-Stick to start the dash attack and Up+Z for the Up-Smash like I was taught originally. It's pretty easy.
I've been using R set to attack for DACUS since 2.6 since it was the only way to do it with some characters, also having r set to attack enabled me to do some silly movement things with the cstick and made some things easier during the two months I tried to play lucas

I only ever use L in melee to shield, wavedash, or l cancel and honestly everything works fine wavedash oos isn't even hard

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I've been using R set to attack for DACUS since 2.6 since it was the only way to do it with some characters, also having r set to attack enabled me to do some silly movement things with the cstick and made some things easier during the two months I tried to play lucas

I only ever use L in melee to shield, wavedash, or l cancel and honestly everything works fine wavedash oos isn't even hard
I see. I've been able to DACUS with most of the cast in 3.5 with the Z method, though.

And I have R do all of that other stuff for me since my L is set to Up-Taunt.

Foo

Smash Lord
I'm surprised so few people use L for L-canceling. I use L as my only shield button and set R to grab with z for footstool. (not that I ever use it lawl)

Last edited:

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
I use L to L-cancel for a pretty specific reason.
When I was eightish (ten years ago), I cut my left pointer finger about half off. I got some stitches and some nerve damage, but I can still feel the finger. The only difference is that the third joint on my left pointer finger can't flex. My finger just kind bends into an upside down L shape. This actually helps with keeping the L button half pressed when I'm in the air about to tech/Lcancel. Using it to L cancel also kind of counts as physical therapy, and helps it get more flexible for Piano/Violin playing.
I hear that it could also help with barre chords, but I don't play Guitar ^_^.

Top Bottom