• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you have Lucas combos I could use?

SpeedyGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
SpeedyGamer48
Recently, I had the money to download Lucas. Lucas was my secondary in Brawl and it's great seeing him back! But, Lucas is more of a combo character so, is there any combos I could use.

Combos I know:
Down Throw->N-air
Down Throw->F-air
Up Throw-> U-air
Down Tilt->Down Tilt->Jab

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Yo, man. Given that you're looking for combos, I'll take this opportunity to shamelessly plug my combo compendium. Even though I'm on a bit of a hiatus from smash at the moment, most of the info is all there (barring some specific few percent ranges), and I plan to update it when I get the time. I hope this helps :D.

Rezzer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-6944-8222
Spam Down Tilt
F-Throw into (Anything)
F-Throw into Fair
F-Throw into Nair
Fair into Bair
Bair Into Bair Into Bair (59%) = Go For another Bair if tossed offstage = ( WORKS ON FOR GLORY )
Hope this kinda helps chum

SpeedyGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
SpeedyGamer48
XD That Jigglpuff though. Also thank for the combos, I will take notes on that.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Spam Down Tilt
F-Throw into (Anything)
F-Throw into Fair
F-Throw into Nair
Fair into Bair
Bair Into Bair Into Bair (59%) = Go For another Bair if tossed offstage = ( WORKS ON FOR GLORY )
Hope this kinda helps chum
Spam down tilt is amazing advice. People don't realize how good that move is. Although, f-throw doesn't combo into anything. Did you meant to say down throw?

Personally I like to take combos one move at a time.

Your combo starters are:

• Down throw, obviously, since it leads into like EVERYTHING at like any reasonable percent. Even some unreasonable ones, too. This is easily a Top 5 throw out of ALL the throws in the entire game. Not even joking.
  • Down tilt, which most importantly leads into grab
  • Z-air, which can also lead into grab if spaced right
  • Last hit of nair, although it usually only leads into other things at low to mid percents before it stops working.
  • Falling nair, which gets stronger in combo potential as percentage rises and can actually true-combo into up tilt at kill percent.
Those are the BnB combo starters. After that you have some situational ones:
  • Sour spot of dash attack at 0% can lead to up tilt or nair.
  • Weak f-tilt can chain into sweet spot f-tilt at low percents.
  • Up tilt can chain into itself or nair at very low percents.
  • Landing fair, which has frame-cancel potential but can also lead to a grab if sweet spotted at low percents. It's also one of Lucas's safest ways to land, which is something he struggles at.
  • 9% back air can lead to up air at low percents, and another back air at mid percents.
  • Meteor back air can combo into almost any other aerial or a footstool if the opponent misses his tech on-stage
  • Falling up air at low to mid percents can lead into nair or another up air, but the hitbox is awkward to hit with.
  • Full jump AC down air can be used as a MIX-UP at low percents if you get the final hit. Opponents have can act before you're able to, but Lucas's air mobility allows you to cross up your opponent and follow up with something, grab being the most optimal choice.
  • Down air spike offstage at low to mid percents can be followed into a footstool, which can be deadly for characters with weak vertical recovery.
  • Down air spike on stage can lead to almost anything if the opponent dosen't tech, including up smash, although the opponent can drift left or right, so you have to read the DI. The up smash is guaranteed if the opponent mashes out an aerial or air dodge after the spike.
  • PK Freeze, obviously. PK Freeze to PKT2 is Lucas's version of the elevator combo if the opponent mashes out before PKT2 ends.
You can then just kinda mix and match between the aforementioned attacks to create your own custom combos. For example:
  • Z-air > down tilt > grab > down throw > nair > forward air
  • Weak dash attack at 0% (in neutral lmao) > nair > footstool > last hit of dair (jablock) > weak f-tilt x 2 > up smash
So on so forth. You can get really creative with this stuff as long as you keep spacing in mind since all of Lucas's hitboxes do one thing or another. As a general rule of thumb you want to set up grab because Lucas has possibly the strongest down throw in the game (post Luigi nerf) in terms of how much damage Lucas can get out of it in combos. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
My only input on combos is this: don't default to neutral air. Any player worth their salt will escape it and the total damage dealt is no more than his forward, up, and back air attacks, each of which are only one hit.

My input on sequences of attacks is this: Lucas trades in frame traps, and a string can last a lot longer than you'd expect.

The options given are good, but the best way to learn combos is to ignore specific lists of attack sequences and instead understand the properties of attacks, where each hitbox sends the opponent, and how Lucas can move around the stage in response. Go to training mode and beat up a practice dummy for a few hours.

Top Bottom