• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you ever "play with your prey" and when has it backfired?

P-J

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, For Glory story here:

I'm playing Charizard against a Falco and he obviously outclasses me in skill level and reads in every sense of those words. I'm already at 110% on my second stock before he's at 40% on his first. He's obviously prolonging the match to have fun and practice grabs and aerials. I get a lucky Down Smash over a roll to FINALLY take his first stock.

He gets me around 200% and is still just doing throws. He's been destroying me in the neutral with mixups on the dash so I turn to YOLO mode and play with nothing to lose. I flare blitz. It connects and creates some space. He charges at me again and AGAIN I flare blitz and connect to send him off the edge. He goes for a low recovery and starts his up-B. I know I can't beat him on stage so I run off and execute the most satisfying meteor smash down-air in history and complete the comeback. He left the select screen faster than any rager I've ever seen.

He could have beaten me easily if he didn't mess around, but it backfired on him in the worst way possible. Are any of you guilty of this? When have you accidentally lost/won a match to someone far better/worse than you? I'd love to hear some more stories!

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
As long as we're doing friendlies, expect to get up thrown when you know the back throw will kill.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I only ever do this when the opponent isn't really good enough for me to gain anything from playing them, so I take it as an opportunity to practice tech. For example, "you're not allowed to win with anything but a B reversed Dragon Fang Shot." That kind of stuff.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
At most, I'll keep doing baiting techs to see how many times it'll take for the person to stop falling for it.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I often spend entire afternoons playing as Kirby, with my main tactic being to stand at one ledge until I get a grab. Once the grab is secured, I B-throw to D-air and possibly a footstool after that. It's intensely satisfying and helps me relieve stress. However, on occasion, it backfires and I end up killing myself.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I do sometimes let my ego get the best of me and start playing with my food before I eat it. It's blown up in my face many times, but most of the time I just laugh it off.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Back when I was working on my offstage game, I used to go offstage to attempt spikes and edgeguards regardless of whether they were needed or not. There have been many occasions where i've missed Roy's D-air and gone too deep as a consequence. Now whenever I play a match, I just do what I can to get the job done.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'm no Smash saint. I've been guilty of this quite a few times, and sometimes it has backfired.

Most notable case I can think of was in For Glory Teams, which I play a lot of with my friend who comes over frequently. We came across these two who my guess was pretty new, or just didn't know what they were doing. We kept beating them by +3 to +5 each match and they were always ready for more. I sort of wanted to make the match more interesting, as well as make it harder for me, so I essentially had my friend sit on the sidelines. He stayed at the edges the entire time and dodged them both if they tried to attack.

Basically, it became a 1 on 2 match. He did try to stay out of it as much as possible, and deal as little damage as he could if he had to fight back. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful but I suppose it could be seen that way due to the situation. I also guess I got cocky.

In the end we lost by -1. They got a good double smash on me in the end, and even taunted. I deserved that, didn't I?

Other than that, I have this nasty habit with King Dedede when going against Ganondorfs/Captain Falcons. If I can get them off the edge, I will throw Gordos endlessly at them even if they were already doomed. There was one Ganondorf that, no matter what he did he couldn't come back and I kept hitting him with Gordos to prevent his death. Eventually a Gordo actually sent him back towards the stage due to the angle it hit him. I paid for it by getting an elbow to the face. If I'd just let him fall I would of won hands down. Oh well.

Sheep McLamb

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3368-3778-4498
Well, I'm guilty of messing with friends like that, but as for playing with strangers, I've only done it once. It was some guy on For Glory who switched to Samus after I absolutely destroyed his DK with Mega Man. He was annoying, and he camped purposely, so I felt like my taunting was deserved. Other than that, however, I respect my opponents, and "playing with prey" usually comes off as arrogant.

Top Bottom