• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do You Care About Your Record In FG?

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I want to know if you guys care about your record in FG. Personally, I don't care about it at all but I know some ppl do.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
Nah. I really don't care about mine, especially knowing how FG acts in some occasions. Winning often doesn't feel worth it unless I actually meet a pretty competent player, pretty much almost the only enjoyment I can get. Granted I want to be better, but I'm having mixed thoughts on if the glory I strive for will satisfy me.

Jaycee_023

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5215-0852-1547
Once I started playing FG (about March), I played exclusively 1v1 and kept track of individual character stats and win-loss record until 2 weeks ago, when I decided to let myself have more fun. Don't get me wrong, I had fun tracking stats because I like doing that, but keeping myself from FFA and 2v2 was unnecessary. Now when I play those modes, I'm a lot less strict about how I play and it leads to having more fun!

Link24242

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4184-3214-6215
It makes me a little happy whenever my "last 10 games" win rate is at 100%, but other than that I don't care very much.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I don't care about my record in the slightest. There's really no point in worrying about your win/loss record on anything, not just Smash. It's cute to see that you've won this many matches or so, but it's ultimately pointless. I've seen plenty of people that get upset that they lose more often than they win (or even getting upset about a 60% or higher win/loss ratio, saying it's not high enough), and I always tell them this: "If I fight one person who just played Smash for the first time and beat them one thousand times in a row, does that make me a better player?" No, it doesn't. No one should ever use W/L ratio to determine someone's skill, especially their own. It provides such a limited view on how good someone is, and is extremely easy to manipulate or alter in some way to be inaccurate to one's actual abilities.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
A win-loss ratio thread really? lol jk
I don't... It's just a number. If I care too much about it, it feels like pressure ("YOU'RE LOSING!!! OH, NOW YOUR W-L RATIO IS 55,35%, 0,01% LESS!!! MUAHAHAHA").

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Not really. I guess it is cool to look at it every now and then, but it isn't something I pride myself in.

To be honest, the only time my win record ever got me excited was when I saw that I once had a 100% win rate in the Last 100 Matches row, but that happened over a month ago so it doesn't really matter now.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Not at all,I would rather lose and learn from my mistakes and improve instead of farming noobs for a high record which no one would probably ever see.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Hell no, I don't give a **** about my win/loss ratio. What's the point of looking at some numbers when I play For Glory just for fun?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Not really, no.

Especially after I decided I don't like just playing one character online.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
No. Even if it is at 87%.

For Glory is full of so much BS that I just stopped caring about my W/L rate at some point. It's not worth losing my hair over.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I might, except FG is the only place to play 1v1 online (Without having to pester my friends). Since I just play it when I want to 1v1, it's not worth worrying about always being competitive.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
At one point when i did 1vs1 after i first got the game for 3ds i started getting competitive to get better, but most of my matches consisted of people who either won or lost against me and then would exit, i was surprised and when i learned there was an option to report/block people. i decided to try my best to remember the people who left after one match and just block them. I was pretty successful at targeting the ragequitters and people who left after their first win.

But now i play FG FFA as my random match post, i just get that thrill of taking on 2 or 3 people on, keeps me on my toes while having fun. I rarely go to 1vs1 anymore, after looking at my win/loss ratio being at 50% constantly after my match history was at 300, i stopped caring about whether my win/loss ratio was high or low, currently i've played over 1500 matches, most of them from FG FFA.

Silxer

Smash Apprentice
Nah, I mainly play For Glory FFA's and 1v1's to practice my mains with other players or just for the fun of it.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Not really.

I honestly play FG to learn, improve, and to get better in general. It's always nice to go against new people instead of friends because you can only learn so much from people you go against on a daily basis. And besides, the more matches you play in FG the lower your score is bound to go eventually (unless you manage to rarely ever lose to anyone I guess).

Also, no one but you can really see your score to begin with.
I always tell them this: "If I fight one person who just played Smash for the first time and beat them one thousand times in a row, does that make me a better player?" No, it doesn't. No one should ever use W/L ratio to determine someone's skill, especially their own. It provides such a limited view on how good someone is, and is extremely easy to manipulate or alter in some way to be inaccurate to one's actual abilities.
Also this. You're bound to go against new players or others who aren't on the same level than you, good or bad. It's easy for people to gloat about how high their W/L percent is; however did they really earn it or did they just go the easy route and take down weaker players to get it? So yeah, in short it doesn't matter much to me. Fun is more important than a score. :D

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
Not really.

I honestly play FG to learn, improve, and to get better in general. It's always nice to go against new people instead of friends because you can only learn so much from people you go against on a daily basis. And besides, the more matches you play in FG the lower your score is bound to go eventually (unless you manage to rarely ever lose to anyone I guess).

Also, no one but you can really see your score to begin with.

This^^

when i first got the game when it came out yeah i cared because i was just getting into competitive play for smash always was competitive with my friends but never really left my circle so i wanted to see how good i could do but once i was like 100 to 200 more wins than losses i noticed i stopped caring about my record and just wanted to improve my gameplay and most time better records come with that :p

PS dont get me wrong i still love goin into my records to see what it is and the only time i actually care is when like the last 10 50 100 win rates hit 100% i do kinda care about that if im playin someone good for those games just kinda makes me feel good :p

Last edited:

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
Honestly i used to until i discovered that barely anyone good gets on FG and i started suiciding on really laggy matches so i stopped caring. Despite this i'm still over 78% win rate so i take FG as a chance to try out other characters.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Not at all. The only way I would possibly care, is if:
  • No lag at all
  • Players don't abuse cheap tactics
  • More stages than just omega's
  • No insulting through tags
FG should really be called "For fun, with some serious players every once and a while."

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
A little bit.
As long as it hovers between 71.50% and 72.00%, it's good.
And that's exactly what it's doing.

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
lmao no only casual try hards do.... your rank that updates every 10-50 wins or w/e is a decent indicator of skill level IMO

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Nope. Not one bit. I have given so many free wins away due to lag that I don't care at all.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Not 100% win ratio? Uninstall.

It's a joke. If you rage reply to this without reading this youre an idiot.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
i think a lot more people used to care about for glory ranking earlier on when sm4sh was still pretty new, partially because "for glory" implies skill, but mostly because we were all still improving. the majority of us have progressed to a point where for glory poses almost no challenge to us, and we've moved on to other places to improve our play (e.g. Smashladder).

i don't care about my for glory rank, but that's because i know i can win virtually every match if i try to; it doesn't pose a challenge to me, personally. on the other side, i don't think people should get dunked for caring about their ratio, because it means they're actively trying to improve. playing with other community members is always better, of course, but for glory isn't that bad of a starting point, especially since you get a lot of diversity that your friend who can play only a handful of characters might not be able to offer.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Not really. FG limits you to one stage, which doesn't represent competitive Smash at all. Plus there are always games where you encounter someone with an huge amount of lag.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I just like using it as a metric of my progress, having started out pretty solidly around the 60% range and then gradually climbing up to 76% last time I looked at it - which has been quite a while now. I definitely don't take it seriously enough to not screw around when I'm feeling like it.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
If there was actual matchmaking involved like say in Street Fighter 4, or Tekken Tag Tournament 2, i'd care a little bit more.

D

Deleted member

A little bit, like maybe 20%-25%.

If I see my score improve, then I think it shows that I have been improving in my skills in a way. I do see an overall sense of progression.

At the same time, I don't for multiple reasons.
  • The matchmaking is terrible.
  • FD is the only stage in FG. At least I gain experience from playing on that stage, but not as a whole with the other stages.
  • The number is meaningless; there is no "glory" to be gained in For Glory.
  • I just want to have some fun and practice.
  • I fight the same characters over and over again. I could gain experience on how to fight a Captain Falcon or Ness, but how the hell do I fight Olimars and Duck Hunts?

Last edited by a moderator:

1FC0

Smash Lord
No. Even if it is at 87%.

For Glory is full of so much BS that I just stopped caring about my W/L rate at some point. It's not worth losing my hair over.
Is 87% supposed to be high or low? It is pretty low for my standards but you say it as if you find it impressive.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Is 87% supposed to be high or low? It is pretty low for my standards but you say it as if you find it impressive.
That sounded extremely condescending, dude. I didn't write that to impress anyone.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I could care less about it honestly.

I mean, when you play 3 extremely projectile weak characters in an environment where Link, Toonlink, and Samus are everywhere, worrying about your winrate will start to get very taxing very quick

:006:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Not at all.

Most matches have enough lag that it's not a true test of skill. It's a test of how good you are at dealing with input lag and frame skips.

I know when I'm being outplayed, and I know when it's lag. And most of the time, it's lag. So I don't care at all.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I could care less about it honestly.

I mean, when you play 3 extremely projectile weak characters in an environment where Link, Toonlink, and Samus are everywhere, worrying about your winrate will start to get very taxing very quick

:006:
No it will not. R.O.B. is weak to the combo characters and rushdown characters who swarm FG and I can get above 90% with only him without running from good players. Perhaps skill also plays a part in this.

Not at all.

Most matches have enough lag that it's not a true test of skill. It's a test of how good you are at dealing with input lag and frame skips.

I know when I'm being outplayed, and I know when it's lag. And most of the time, it's lag. So I don't care at all.
If you really have that much lag that often then it is probably your connection that is to blame and in that case your opponents are the ones that should really be complaining about it instead of you.

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
No it will not. R.O.B. is weak to the combo characters and rushdown characters who swarm FG and I can get above 90% with only him without running from good players. Perhaps skill also plays a part in this.

The joke is that if you really have that much lag that often then it is probably your connection that is to blame and in that case your opponents are the ones that should really be complaining about it instead of you.
ROB doesn't have to constantly approach projectile spammers in lag, on perma FD as a big heavy character with mediocre movespeed. Heck, i'd argue that the conditions of For Glory actually benefit ROB, even against his bad MU's.

Whereas someone like Charizard is greatly hindered by it.

Top Bottom