• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do I really need to get consistent with tipping?

AkkoBestuGrill

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3626-4449-6484
And if it's a yes, I'm still not switching to Lucina. And if yes again, any tips on how to get more consistent with it (saying use Lucina instead doesn't count lmao)

Phatty

Smash Cadet
There are a few things that help me get tippers. The first is MU knowledge. I find that I get more tippers when I have a good feel for what the other character wants to do and where they want to be. I think this is pretty important for both Marth and Lucina in general since their gameplan revolves around controlling neutral, but it does get you more tippers as well. The second is getting a good feel for your opponent. I've had a few matches where I initially struggled in the first or second game but by the second or third I started getting the tippers that I want. When you play multiple games with a person try to get a sense for how they move and space themselves and adjust your spacing accordingly. The third is just getting used to spacing well with Marth. This sounds kind of obvious but it really does help. Sometimes in training mode, I either set the computer to walk, run, or lv3. This helps you space out moves on a moving target. I use walk a lot when I practice Dtilt tipper spacing out of a run.

Finally, I know you're not going to like this but there are some MUs that I don't like Marth in at all. Against some characters, I just can't get the spacing I want or I have a hard time pinning them down and I just use Lucina for those MUs. This one is more down to personal preference in Ultimate. In smash4 I had some rules on which characters I used Marth and Lucina in and why. In Ultimate, though, since they took out jab to Fsmash/Ftilt those rules mostly don't apply. This comes mostly down to trial and error. Play Marth and Lucina a lot and find out which one you prefer in each MU. Anyway, those are my tips.

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
If you know your own moves well enough, you can select which move to use for a punish based on your distance from your opponent. Jab, D-Tilt, Up-tilt, turn around Up-Tilt, F-Tilt, F-Smash, Fair, etc., all have slightly different tipper ranges and hitboxes. I emphasize Ftilt because I find its tipper is the easiest to land of all Marth's grounded moves. If you are walking backwards as a bait and your opponent mis-spaces an aerial, say Pikachu does a Fair but you've walked out of range, you should have the knowledge to very quickly judge which normal will give you the tip.
:)
Walking is essential to tippers because it gives you the most precise control of your spacing.
:)
Them's my two cents.

Oukami

Smash Rookie
don't underestimate the power of a head-shot tipper shield break! something fairly simple i've managed to pull off is, catching recoveries with sheild-break after purposely missing fair while moving backwards.

D

Deleted member

Here is what I use most often. First, try to learn the MU as best as you can. If you know what your opponent wants, then you can react to when they are going to do it, rather that what they are doing. Because of this you will know the spacing of where you will be. Walk a little more to slow down the pace of the game. The more patient you are, and the more your opponent gets impatient, and they are going to run in very predictably. Use this to punish them for not thinking. I mostly go for sour spots in neutral because they lead into strings that will combo into a tipper, if you lab it out. Try to get really good at tech chasing, and DB. The most broken thing that Marth has is Tech chasing and Dancing Bade. Marth can tech chase at 0 through 160, depending on weight and fall speed. When your opponent is put in a tech situation, they can do multiple options, but they all end up to be in 3 positions. Lab out what is best in different situations. Honestly, DB is kinda the best because it is the only move that Marth has that can interrupt his dash, and it has immense kill power, sometimes even as much as tipper Fsmash depending on rage.
It might help to know how I play, or rather, how I am trying to play(I am a pretty aggro Marth, and I am working on patience). So the TL;DR of how I play Marth is a rather simple concept, but with almost 80 match-ups now, and many different play styles within those match-ups, it can be complex. This is more a summary of what you want to do with everyone, again, for each matchup you need to be more complex.
Lets start with neutral, because that is where everything revolves around this character. When playing Neutral you want to be just outside of your opponent's range, or your range depending on the range of each respective character. If you have more range, then outside of your range, if they have more range, then outside their range. Most of the time this is roll distance away. What you are looking for is a mistake so that you can punish. A mistake can be a whiff, mispacing, airdodge, or not attacking. Congratulations you have won neutral. Now your goal is to press your advantage hard, but do not overextend. Now you want to do combos, strings, juggles, tech chases, ledgetraps, edgegaurds, or kill them, depending on the situation. Remember, go for sours in neutral to confirm into tippers, but if you get a tipper, good job, capitalize off of it. With disadvantage, save your jump when necessary, don't press buttons too much, and try to get back to ledge, or reset neutral.

TL;DR of the whole thing: Learn MUs, incorporate patience, learn Tech Chasing, get good at tippering Dancing Blade, and read the last paragraph, I can't tl;dr that because it is too important. I will also give you a video that I think will help. I hope you found this helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhdBFFQPK8w

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
best player Mkleo can't tippered consistently so why should you instruct yourself to learn it?
practically this.

The buffs are good but still marth needs more kill confirms.

he is too irregular. Sometimes you steal stocks with a random tipper...others you lose matches because you cant simply finish the stock and the other guy spam killer moves until he gets you

Last edited:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
You should absolutely strive to consistently hit tippers. If it's within the confines of the game to optimise go for it. You'll be one of the best if you can.
Practice optimising your spacing and most importantly the feel of a good tipper. Nail the F-tilt for a start

Top Bottom