• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do experienced players use more aerials?

Sheep McLamb

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3368-3778-4498
Well, to answer my own question, yes. Experienced players fight much more in the air than on the ground. I love aerials, and I much prefer fighting in the air, but it almost seems that using ground attacks are frowned upon, especially in competitive play. It's not that someone will call you out for not using aerials often, but using aerials is pretty much expected of you once you start to become more experienced. Any thoughts on this?

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Well, to answer my own question, yes. Experienced players fight much more in the air than on the ground. I love aerials, and I much prefer fighting in the air, but it almost seems that using ground attacks are frowned upon, especially in competitive play. It's not that someone will call you out for not using aerials often, but using aerials is pretty much expected of you once you start to become more experienced. Any thoughts on this?
I dont think its frowned upon at all. I think its extremely dependant on WHO you play as. Say for instance, Little mac. He needs to be played on the ground, in fact Zero's latest youtube video explicitly discusses Mac's strengths being solely groundplay and that he uses Mac specifically in such a way.

I think for most characters their aerials are the quickest, safest moves to apply pressure with. However if a character plays well with well spaced ground play than thats what you might try to focus on. Its all about optimizing your options, aerials I feel give you more situational versatility in some cases. But if your play style works better on the ground then who cares right? I certainly will never frown on anyone using ground play, I guess the only way it could be cringe worthy is if they spam 1 to 2 moves only. But someone utilizing their full ground kit I'd say is more impressive than air play.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Just to note, it's a misconception that Kirby is aieral based. He's good with both, and a mix, with slightly more ground than air. Many other characters stay on the ground more than the air too. Espicially Little Mac's

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I haven't actually seen such a question been asked before. In my opinion, it all generally relates to your character. If you character does generally better on the ground than in the air then you're obviously gonna see most people go for that grounded option more than their limited air options and vice versa. A already said example of this would be Little Mac :4littlemac:and I guess in a general sense Jigglypuff's :4jigglypuff: air game is better than her ground game so obviously in most matches you'll see her using b-air, n-air or fair most of the time other than staying on the ground. I'm guessing that most experienced players use aerials simply because they're just better to use in a general sense when comparing moves from the whole cast (not saying that attacking on the ground is bad or anything either.)

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Samus requires Air for most of her combos, BUT its absolutely necessary to get to the ground and reset the neutral. Her Tilts are essential, and she can only charge on the ground.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It does depend on the fighter. Little Mac isn't going to get anywhere with his aerial attacks, but Yoshi can be pretty nasty with his aerials, especially with the d-air being one heck of a damage builder.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Counter and Up B are little mac's air game. Not much versatility there.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
for glory little macs: spam smash attacks
for glory jigglypuffs: try to land rest?
i never see anyone who actually tries to use aerials in for glory
I see aerial puffs all the time in FG. And lately Macs ive run across have been pretty smart, they kill me with ftilt more than anything,

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Mario, for example, doesn't have that many approach options on the floor, but he has great air mobility and his fireballs are better in the air since the angle they go makes is easier for you to pressure someone and hopefully run for a grab.
All of his aerials but his Forward Air are basically instant, which is great for applying pressure on someone at any time, no matter where and how they are. Not only that, but his aerials all have their own distinct purpose: Neutral Air is a combo breaker and good for approaching, Down air is good for spacing and is a multi-hit, Up air is a kill move when used properly and can start juggle combos at low percents, Forward Air is a really strong spike that can be used to kill very early offstage, or you can use it as a surprise attack if someone approaches you with an aerial, and Back air is also a kill move, it's really strong and crazy quick, and it can space very well.

Every character has different uses for their aerials. That's why they're used so much.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
It depends on who you play as of course, and generally most of the games better combos and strings happen in the air, so it really only seems that way at high level play since that's just how the game is. BUT, that being said, the best way to kill in this game is off the top, so you will see many Mewtwo players (Best up throw in game, amazing up smash) and Toon Link (Up smash best kill move) stay grounded for a while to get those stocks.

also it feels more fluid when it comes to dodging and baiting things when you're hopping around all the time

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I tend to play Luigi more from the ground until I can actually get the opponent in the air. With his slow fall speed and high jumps I feel like i'm just going to set myself up for a punish. Once i've got a grab though, it's go time!

Top Bottom