• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Final Smash: As a musician, I'm angered

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Hey, DK's got his bongos out! Press A to the beat? Sounds fun! ...Well, it's not. If you can read music, play music, or even count, you can tell that most music goes in measures of 4. The music of this move is no different. When you press A to the beat of the notes, the attack goes larger, and is thus more effective. But thats the thing. For this to work, you have to press the button out of time. It's at least a quarter note off, and that bothers me as both a Smasher and a musician.

[/rant]

mikeQUESTIONMARK

Smash Rookie
Well, Brawl isn't exactly Rock Band, so obviously it's not going to be so heavily rhythm based.

What I do for the Final Smash is rotate the C-Stick, really. It's effective enough, to me.

mp1776120

Smash Rookie
i don't understand your complaint. I press A with the beat of the song and the FS seems to function perfectly. Maybe your controller was malfunctioning at the time.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
lol its not that he cant get the correct beat to the final smash its that the beat that you are supposed to be following is off from the standard 4 measure time that typically found in music.

mp1776120

Smash Rookie
lol its not that he cant get the correct beat to the final smash its that the beat that you are supposed to be following is off from the standard 4 measure time that typically found in music.
And like i said, i follow the standard 4 measure time with the song and it's been working fine for me. the same goes for the people posting below me. it's not that hard to go with the beat of the song. maybe there's just something wrong with IWontGetOverTheDam's controller, or he's just using an HDTV. I know that when using an HD, there's always some sort of lag when i play beatmania, DDR, Guitar Hero, etc.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I find the FS input rather... difficult too. Do i press it with the beat or with DK's hands because that S*** doesn't match up. lol

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Figured it out, Press A when you hear the BONGOS, not the rhythm. This is a little tricky because when you press A you actually make bongo noises, BUT, while not pressing anything, you still hear bongos. Match them. Don't watch DK's hands.

The time scale is 4/4 and the entire song has five measures, if you complete the last 3/4 of any measure DK picks up his hands and the FS has been buffed in range and power. 5 measures = 3 buffs.

O O O O I O O O O I O O O O I O O O O I O O O O I

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
I also noticed that the timing is very bad. I'm also a musician and have played the Trumpet for 6 years now and when counting to music, it's my natural tendency to anticipate the hit of the beat to hit it on time. It's how my music director has taught me how to keep time on play with the beat of the song.

Instead, it's as if you have to desync yourself and tap A an eighth note after the beat should happen. It's as if we should react to the beat, which is completely wrong.

I'm not happy about the timing, and I also think pressing A is REALLY ********. I initiated the Final Smash with B, shouldn't I continue pressing B to increase the range? A is for standard attacks -- I'm not punching with the soundwaves. I should be pressing B to the beat -- not A and react after the beat.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I'm not happy about the timing, and I also think pressing A is REALLY ********. I initiated the Final Smash with B, shouldn't I continue pressing B to increase the range? A is for standard attacks -- I'm not punching with the soundwaves. I should be pressing B to the beat -- not A and react after the beat.

I second this, it should be the B button. And the react comment is spot on.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
IWontGetOverTheDam said:
If you can read music, play music, or even count, you can tell that most music goes in measures of 4.
Most music is in common time? News to me …

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Figured it out, Press A when you hear the BONGOS, not the rhythm. This is a little tricky because when you press A you actually make bongo noises, BUT, while not pressing anything, you still hear bongos. Match them. Don't watch DK's hands.

The time scale is 4/4 and the entire song has five measures, if you complete the last 3/4 of any measure DK picks up his hands and the FS has been buffed in range and power. 5 measures = 3 buffs.

O O O O I O O O O I O O O O I O O O O I O O O O I
Thanks for the help, I was really wondering this too, as I was playing the sometimes laggy with anyone matches, and I kept getting the Smash ball but it was a joke because I didn't know what beat to press the buttons too. Thanks!

pirkid

Smash Lord
If we have to work this hard to execute his FS, while Lucas can just stand there and still have better range, I'm disappointed.

ethadream

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I was playing DK in training mode today, and this is what I found:

The rhythm that the game wants you to clap (lol, press) is not on beat. It's an odd-ball syncopation. Not really jazzy either, sort of like an old African traditional "jungle" music. Pretty cool actually.

The first and final "ring" also differs in rhytm. It's on the down beat first, then it beats up beats for the whole time except going back to the down beat for the last clap. Sort of like Mozart's famous syncopation rhythms.

I am really not sure what meter or how many meters it's in, but I know the rhythm is a syncopation.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Here is my thought on the effectiveness of DK's FS.
I think the range, after the first buff, is great. It's almost like a mini version of the final bosses (not saying the name because of spoilers) you know what attack. The damage, I observed, actually racks up - highest I have ever seen in a FS. The music sorts of disorient the opponent too, messing up their recoveries.

Overall, I think DK has one of the coolest - and most effective - FS in the game.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
This thread is ridiculous, lol.
Talking about eigth notes and syncopated rythms.

Listen to the **** bongo beat, that is what he is playing.
Then hit the button in time with the bongo noise ::rolls eyes::

This is DEFINITELY in 4/4 and there are 5 measures.
You should be pressing A a total of 20 times

If you guys have a real problem with that, then it's like some earlier posters were saying and there is some kind of lag on your television's audio.

I don't care what kind of musician you are, I am a DRUMMER lol.

Top Bottom