• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DJC(FFL) / SHFFL Confusion

yonh

Smash Rookie
So I've been getting into Lucas, and I've yet to find an answer to the question, "Why use SHFFL aerials when DJC aerials are so much better?"

There are these threads:
smashboards.com/threads/shffl-vs-djc-ffl.360075/
smashboards.com/threads/djc.363506/

But neither of them really offer an answer other than 'it depends'. So, more experienced Lucas mains, what factors go into your thought process when deciding between a SHFFL aerial and a DJC aerial?

Side note: After watching a bunch of Neon videos, I notice he usually SHFFLs his fairs/nairs/dairs, and only DJC fairs on rare occasions (e.g. in his whole set with Mew2King, the only DJC fair I noticed was this one (youtu.be/chFhHxRGhYk?t=5m37s) and it seems like that was because Mario was so close to the ground). Is the opponent's vertical position the only factor here?

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
SHFFL fairs are great combo extenders, though DJC Fairs are useful to chain when enemies are at low %. So I find more use depending on the position and the character I'm fighting. I also find DJC fairs more useful on fast fallers and heavy characters since they don't go far or high when at low percent. SHFFL fair is also good for hitting annoying projectiles (fireballs, boomerang, peanuts, etc.). I guess you could DJC here in the same situation, but I feel like I drop down too fast and get hit by the projectile anyway.

I don't really ever DJC Nair unless it's out of a short hop magnet. SHFFL is pretty much the way to go with this one.

SHFFL uairs if you want to chain them together for an upcoming finisher. I usually only DJC uair to follow up with magnet.

I don't SHFFL dair at all because I like getting all the hits from it. DJC dair puts them in a hitstun state for you to get a nice f-smash on them, though. So there's always that option.

So pretty much like everyone says, it depends. The options are up to you. Just play the character yourself and find out which options you find the most optimal. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom