• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disney beats Peter Jackson to the punch

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
The Black Cauldron, the worst flop in the Disney Animation Department's history...

... Is a work of art that deserves better reception. I bought it because I ran across a clip of Eilonwy and she reminded me of Peach (don't ask- don't get me starte- oh shut up)

I actually was looking up something about Star Wars: Kotor on TvTropes and this led to Wizards of the coast which led to a bunch of interesting topics that led to (you will be able to guess my age) Oliver & Company long after nostalgia kicked in, causing me to look up The Great Mouse Detective, the film that saved the Disney animation department...

From this film. It's page intrigued me however, and reading that it borrowed from Fantasia's satan scene I was almost hooked; post Eilonwy clip I decided I had to have it. I love that bell.

Anyway totes worth it but I feel like I had seen it before. Even though I hadn't.

Because I watched The Lord of the Rings. This 1985 film is absolutely Peter Jackson's LOTR in Disnese with a touch of Tangled (possibly? Haven't seen that one) plus a pinch of Charlotte's web and, oddly, the Smurfs.

Which sounded like a breakfast of eggs*1, salt*2, pepper*3, and antifreeze*4 back in 1985- especially in theaters with Back the Future and Star Wars and Indiana Jones...

1: Tangled. Would that movie have gone over well animated in the 80's? You bet, from what I hear.
2: Smurfs. Not much in this and what is there is only better because smurfs = huge in the 80's.
3: Charlotte's web. Again, not much but would do well in 80's.
4: The Lord of the Rings.

Those films were so revolutionary; and the original "Black Cauldron" was "too long and too dark"

Hmmmm.

But in light of today, it can be appreciated as a fix for a leaky radiator tragically cut short and made ineffective (the movie has obviously been shortened; it is the fastest paced and most assuming/disjointed flick I have seen in a while, which must have contributed to it's poor reception).

What is the leaky radiator?

The 80's restrictions on moviemaking. This works as an analogy as a car will still run with a leaky radiator but not as long or well as it's potential with the leak stopped.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
The Disney cartoon called "The Black Cauldron" released 1985, and the correlations between it and The Lord of the Rings that I happened to draw.

Also a recommendation to see said cartoon.
I heard about that movie and oddly enough despite it being a Disney movie I've never seen a copy of it anywhere, not even at Best buy

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
I heard about that movie and oddly enough despite it being a Disney movie I've never seen a copy of it anywhere, not even at Best buy
Disney has tried their best to bury it.

It is really disjointed, plagued with executive meddling, and dark such that it appears to have no plot.

It was a flop.

But I can see what potential it had and find it tragic it was not done to it's full potential. I hope they find and release the full edit (there is a lot of cut material).

Top Bottom