• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discovery: How to get only White & Purple Pikmin

lampiaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp_lampi
A friend of mine discovered this today, we don't remember reading about it anywhere.

I made a video demonstrating the method:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k-UgzSTJ18I

When Olimar plucks a Pikmin, he tosses it behind himself. White and purple Pikmin, however, get tossed a little closer to Olimar than the other colors. If you use Pikmin Pluck close to an edge, this property will filter your selection so only white and purple Pikmin survive (while the rest dies an awful death).

As shown in the video, it may take a while to get all 6 Pikmin to be white and purple. This is useful, however, to make sure you get at least 2 or 3 white/purple Pikmin in an initial 6-pluck (since they are the rarest types).

Discovered by Artur, video by Lampi.
from Brazil

This has been incredibly useful to me. Hope you like it!

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
Dude, this is a good discovery, but there's way too many flaws with this.

First is the fact that there wont be a minute to get white or purple pikmin.
Second is the fact that you dont want all white or purple pikmin as there no real stragety with having just white and purple pikmin.
Third is the fact that since white pikmin get killed way too easily, you'll be without white pikmin in seconds.

but matches usually go for 3 minutes usually, sometimes even 1 minute if your fast enough, but this stragety took soo long, as well as the proper placement, I doubt that the opponent will give you this kind of room, especially with olimar.

if you can figure out a way to make this work within 5 seconds, then I'll be for it lol.

lampiaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp_lampi
You're not supposed to use this as an attempt to get "only" white and purple pikmin, as I pointed out in the description. I've been using it to make sure at least one or two of the initial 6 are of those colors, like this:

edge pluck -> 2 or 3 white/purple -> pluck the rest elsewhere.

It takes less than the 5 seconds you ask for, and also levels out the strategic flaw that is having exclusively white and purple pikmin.

It's only a way of overcoming the eventual unlucky 6-pluck with no whites or purples.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Dude, this is a good discovery, but there's way too many flaws with this.

First is the fact that there wont be a minute to get white or purple pikmin.
Second is the fact that you dont want all white or purple pikmin as there no real stragety with having just white and purple pikmin.
Third is the fact that since white pikmin get killed way too easily, you'll be without white pikmin in seconds.

but matches usually go for 3 minutes usually, sometimes even 1 minute if your fast enough, but this stragety took soo long, as well as the proper placement, I doubt that the opponent will give you this kind of room, especially with olimar.

if you can figure out a way to make this work within 5 seconds, then I'll be for it lol.
The only complaint I have about this list is that there are some strategies you can develop with purple/whites. use the whites for grab attacks (with or without throws), then keep your purples up front any other time. Then, finish with a purple throw if you can.

Another strange fact. Purple pikmin don't always leave ghosts when they die. :p

Stiffmystirr

Smash Rookie
Very nice! I find it very frustrating when I don't get a white for a good portion of the game. I completely agree this shouldn't be used to exploit having white and purple only, that gimps your melee damage, throwing ability and comboing ability. But doing this at the start of the game to get 2 or 3 is great for initial latch damage, those little *******s die quick but their poison sure does it's job. So now I gotta wonder what happens when you get 2-3, then get another 3-4 white/purple. Now what! :X

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
The only complaint I have about this list is that there are some strategies you can develop with purple/whites. use the whites for grab attacks (with or without throws), then keep your purples up front any other time. Then, finish with a purple throw if you can.

Another strange fact. Purple pikmin don't always leave ghosts when they die. :p

aside from the fact that you wont have must of a chance to get to do this, there's also the problem that you cant get pikmin to go in the order of P W P W P W if you use the wistle, as most of the time you'll usually get a mix up of this order, or even have the chance to get four of one kind or another.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
First off, why do you only want white and purple pikmin? Second, have you ever fought vs. anyone who doesn't suck? If you are playing against anyone who knows what they are doing, you'd probably want to have maximum numbers of pikmin, regardless of their color.

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
First off, why do you only want white and purple pikmin? Second, have you ever fought vs. anyone who doesn't suck? If you are playing against anyone who knows what they are doing, you'd probably want to have maximum numbers of pikmin, regardless of their color.
He has already stated that the objective is not to only have purple and white Pikmin. Instead, it´s to guarantee having at least some of them available in the line-up.

And a maximum number is not required. Having three can surprisingly suffice most of the time. If you´re latching, though, of course it´d be useful to have six. But having three limits the randomness of having a white Pikmin finish your combo instead of ... any other color.

To the guy who discovered the technique, very nice find. It´s a technical discovery nevertheless and whether you want to use it is up to you. I´ll experiment with it, especially with the noobs who try to out-camp Olimar.

Fino

Smash Master
Sorry to say, this has been found before, and it wasn't very useful the first time. No offense, but typically playing against people, they won't give you the time to mosey over the the edge to leisurely pluck some pikmin out. Even if the goal is to get some purple and white, which could be handy, you're not guaranteed those colors, meaning you have to wait until the pikmin fall to their death (how cruel lol) before triyng again. To me it's wasted time, and purely situational, because assume you have three pikmin (yrb), and you just happened to have an opponent not attacking you long enough for you to position yourself at the sweet spot to 'seed out' (so to say) whites and purples, but all you pull out is yellows or blues or reds.... now you're out 3 pikmin for a few seconds, and I dounbt your opponent (after seeing you trying to gather more minions) will continue to sit there.
idk.... it just seems like it needs some work.

~Fino

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
that pretty good but you would need the time getting the first few seem to take little time but one you get 4-5 you should just carry on getting the last one takes too long.

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
not only this fact, but the problem is that each color contributes to certain moves and combos that white and purple just cant replace, beside the fact that purple arent the best decision with killing moves, and white pikmin's short lifespan, it's asking to get pwned by the opponent.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Sorry to say, this has been found before, and it wasn't very useful the first time. No offense, but typically playing against people, they won't give you the time to mosey over the the edge to leisurely pluck some pikmin out. Even if the goal is to get some purple and white, which could be handy, you're not guaranteed those colors, meaning you have to wait until the pikmin fall to their death (how cruel lol) before triyng again. To me it's wasted time, and purely situational, because assume you have three pikmin (yrb), and you just happened to have an opponent not attacking you long enough for you to position yourself at the sweet spot to 'seed out' (so to say) whites and purples, but all you pull out is yellows or blues or reds.... now you're out 3 pikmin for a few seconds, and I dounbt your opponent (after seeing you trying to gather more minions) will continue to sit there.
idk.... it just seems like it needs some work.

~Fino
This is basically the same thing I was thinking, only longer.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
see guys, this is natural selection.
I laughed.

Now, for others: The original poster said this a bit, but, just because you can do this doesn't mean you would do it just for whites and purples.

What I am saying is, you can half 3 random ones (let's just say 2 reds and blue, but that doesn't matter). Then, do this strategy and end up getting two purples and a white. If you are on the verge of a KO, this is an excellent way to get one.

Fino

Smash Master
I laughed.

Now, for others: The original poster said this a bit, but, just because you can do this doesn't mean you would do it just for whites and purples.

What I am saying is, you can half 3 random ones (let's just say 2 reds and blue, but that doesn't matter). Then, do this strategy and end up getting two purples and a white. If you are on the verge of a KO, this is an excellent way to get one.
This is all based on the false assumption that you are guaranteed a white and a purple by doing this. No. You could end up plucking all yellows, and then you're SOL, and under the same scenario (being on the verge of KO), you've left yourself wide open to lose.

I'm sorry, but you people don't seem to get it. It's a flawed logic. And I'll point it out again:

Fallacy #1: You get whites and purples (only) by plucking at the sweet spot at the edge

WRONG, you randomly pluck any color like everywhere else on stage and IF you pluck whites and purples they will be the only one's to stay on the platform

Fallacy #2: You can continuously pluck pikmin until you get a white/purple

WRONG, you have to wait until the pikmin plummet to their death and allow you to pluck again (since only 6 can be on the stage at a time), meaning your potential is weakened by, not only the time you spent doing this, having less pikmin, but you always have time to wait and pluck more right...?

erhm *ahem* Fallacy #3: Your opponents will courteously wait for you to get a line that you like / not pressure you when you're plucking / cut you slack.

WRONG, it's a competitive game, and every time I've played someone, the fact you're plucking more of those insane damage dealing carrot minions out of the ground makes them want to stop you, if not at least try to score a hit on you (hoping your lag still lasts or something... idk). This is pretty much the biggest one though. You will never have the proper time to adjust yourself to the right place, get lucky enough to pull only whites or purples out (and yes, this is under the assumption you already have reds or blues or yellows... I'm not blatantly stupid), and not get attacked by your opponent.

Sorry people, it just doesn't work. I know I'm being pretty brash here, but apparently no one's getting it.

~Fino

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
This is all based on the false assumption that you are guaranteed a white and a purple by doing this.
Where did you read this? Not in this thread.

This trick/technique will not guarantee that you get all white and purple, just that you discard those who are not. Chances are that you will get at least one white or purple one. That will do for the short time it takes the first pikmin to reach the bottom of the stage, enabling you to pluck another one.

The problem is that you assume that people will use the trick as it is shown in the tutorial video, which they will not.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
i think this is good if oli is at high %, when he has the time to do it. if he only has white and purple, he can dodge & spam the whites to try to get as much damage as possible on the enemy, if he gets hit off he can use the purple pikmin to stop edgehoggers.

since theres only 2 types of pikmin itll be easier to whistle the purples when falling.

im gonna do this, only in the right situiation though

IllidR

Smash Champion
I never watched the video up until now. But I definitely like this discovery, although i can't see it being practical in any situation, since you would rarely or never get a chance to stand there plucking that many Pikmin. Unless of course your opponent is a vegetable.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
A friend of mine discovered this today, we don't remember reading about it anywhere.

I made a video demonstrating the method:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k-UgzSTJ18I

This has been incredibly useful to me. Hope you like it!

very good discovery. pretty much useful for when ur edgeguarding i guess. hit the dude away, then try and chuck purples at him using this technique.

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
That is a pretty cool discovery. I won't ever be using it. I have kinda grown to have a grudge against white pikmin. I love them for throwing and racking up some nice damage, as well as for grabs. But a lot of times I will forget the order of my pikmin, have the kill oppertunity, go for the up smash and!... White pimin.... Crap! Gotta find another spot to up smash XD haha. But seriously. I love all the little pikmin :D

Good find.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
while it does have many flaws, i can see at least some sense in using, say, after a star ko, when you have time. after all, thats when you want whites the most, for racking up damage. yes, you wont necessarily get any, but chances are youll still at least have some time to re-pluck back to 6.
but ya, its not as wicked sick hackzors!!11 as that advanced tech natural selection (more sarcasm)

themagicnickel

Smash Rookie
lol it might work the first time, but then your opponent will catch on and not give you anymore time to get purple and white. Also, it takes way too long. The only time i would be able to use it is if the opponent was dead or about to die. It might be usefu....idk

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is all based on the false assumption that you are guaranteed a white and a purple by doing this. No. You could end up plucking all yellows, and then you're SOL, and under the same scenario (being on the verge of KO), you've left yourself wide open to lose.

I'm sorry, but you people don't seem to get it. It's a flawed logic. And I'll point it out again:

Fallacy #1: You get whites and purples (only) by plucking at the sweet spot at the edge

WRONG, you randomly pluck any color like everywhere else on stage and IF you pluck whites and purples they will be the only one's to stay on the platform

Fallacy #2: You can continuously pluck pikmin until you get a white/purple

WRONG, you have to wait until the pikmin plummet to their death and allow you to pluck again (since only 6 can be on the stage at a time), meaning your potential is weakened by, not only the time you spent doing this, having less pikmin, but you always have time to wait and pluck more right...?

erhm *ahem* Fallacy #3: Your opponents will courteously wait for you to get a line that you like / not pressure you when you're plucking / cut you slack.

WRONG, it's a competitive game, and every time I've played someone, the fact you're plucking more of those insane damage dealing carrot minions out of the ground makes them want to stop you, if not at least try to score a hit on you (hoping your lag still lasts or something... idk). This is pretty much the biggest one though. You will never have the proper time to adjust yourself to the right place, get lucky enough to pull only whites or purples out (and yes, this is under the assumption you already have reds or blues or yellows... I'm not blatantly stupid), and not get attacked by your opponent.

Sorry people, it just doesn't work. I know I'm being pretty brash here, but apparently no one's getting it.

~Fino
He was just selling his discovery, it wasn't necessary to point it out.

And according to me it's a great discovery for flashy players.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
i agree with zelazon. there are too many combos u miss out on when u have lotsa purples and whites. good thought tho.

Top Bottom