• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Directional Influence as Fox

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Picking up Fox, trying to survive as long as possible has become a really big challenge for me. Didn’t realize how light he really was. Was wondering how his extreme gravity affects his DI though...

For straight up vertical knockback would he actually maybe survive slightly longer than a character who maybe weighs a bit more than him but is much floatier? That would make sense to me?

And for horizontal knockback, you’re supposed to DI towards the stage but because he falls so fast I feel like DI’ing in that way isn’t as effective? For right horizontal knockback should I DI to the top left corner? I’m aware of LSI so straight up would be bad but maybe the mix of in and up would be optimal?

Just trying to get some advice. Will also try to not get hit lols that would be the best di. Thanks

Anomika

Smash Apprentice
AFAIK the falling speed shouldn't affect the survivability because the falling speed gets "homogenized" during hitstun (meaning that all fighters get launched at same falling speed until they can act out of hitstun). For horizontal moves it depends how vertical or horizontal the angle is. If it's diagonal (more vertical but still not strictly vertical like Ken's Shoryuken), it's best to DI down and away from the stage to prevent reaching the upper blast line and instead aim for the very corners of the zones. For more horizontal angles, it's best to DI down and towards the stage.

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
AFAIK the falling speed shouldn't affect the survivability because the falling speed gets "homogenized" during hitstun (meaning that all fighters get launched at same falling speed until they can act out of hitstun). For horizontal moves it depends how vertical or horizontal the angle is. If it's diagonal (more vertical but still not strictly vertical like Ken's Shoryuken), it's best to DI down and away from the stage to prevent reaching the upper blast line and instead aim for the very corners of the zones. For more horizontal angles, it's best to DI down and towards the stage.
Did some testing and found that for Mewtwo’s up throw Fox does at the exact same percent 126% as the heavier Olimar and Pikachu. What would explain that other than his high gravity? Genuinely asking.

And for knockback more horizontal I don’t understand how DI’ing down and towards the stage would be optimal? Towards the stage I get but down I don’t? Besides the fact that I almost always avoid recovering low with Fox because UpB is really exploitable, I think down would kill me sooner with his high gravity. If anything I still think up and in would be best.

Anomika

Smash Apprentice
It's because LSI works with horizontal angles, so holding down (LSI) and towards (DI) the stage is optimal. For more vertical angles (but not strictly vertical so LSI still works) but you're near the ledge, it might be the best to just hold down so you don't accidentally touch the side blast zones.

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
It's because LSI works with horizontal angles, so holding down (LSI) and towards (DI) the stage is optimal. For more vertical angles (but not strictly vertical so LSI still works) but you're near the ledge, it might be the best to just hold down so you don't accidentally touch the side blast zones.
Understood thanks

Top Bottom