• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Directional FSmash

Jooce Bocks

Smash Cadet
I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner and it is probably posted somewhere within the many posts in SWF. Just in case anybody else didn't notice, it seems that they made it much easier to do a tilted FSmash, such as the upward or downward FSmash some Samus players liked to perform in Melee. Since FSmash is one of our few kill moves, and the Sonic forums is the place for the cool people, I thought I would mention it here. Just hit the C-Stick left or right followed by tapping the joystick in the direction (up or down) you wish to punch. No more having to rely on the diagonals of the C-Stick (I personally hated that..)!

Now for the main reason I wanted to bring this up. Even though people out there probably already know about this feature, but does Sonic's tilted FSmash have as much use as it did for Samus in Melee? Are some characters easy to gimp with a downward FSmash, or does the new Auto-Sweetspot feature pretty much destroy its use as a gimp move for low recovery? Since the FSmash can be pivoted for extra range and then tilted upward/downward, is there anything particularly useful or different when aiming the FSmash? Leave any additional comments you find useful to this or maybe just point me to a direction where this was already discussed.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Well, personally I prefer just smashing in the right direction and not use the c-stick because then I can charge if I want to.

And it works very well against floaty/multi-jump characters (Metaknight/Pit/etc) if you time it right. You can almost always get a part of their head and send them flying with it. Characters with faster/longer jumps can sweet spot the edge safely though so don't try it if you have other options.

Jooce Bocks

Smash Cadet
Well, personally I prefer just smashing in the right direction and not use the c-stick because then I can charge if I want to.

And it works very well against floaty/multi-jump characters (Metaknight/Pit/etc) if you time it right. You can almost always get a part of their head and send them flying with it. Characters with faster/longer jumps can sweet spot the edge safely though so don't try it if you have other options.
Well, I prefer smashing with the joystick as well, but I can't stand using the joystick for a pivot smash. You can charge a smash with C-Stick anyway if you just hold the Z Button or A Button immediately after (or at the same time) you hit the C-Stick in a specific direction.

The other part is what I am hoping to see in this thread. I am hoping to find out exactly what instances a person could be gimped or caught off guard by a directed FSmash. Would be nice to catch someone off guard at lower percentages by smacking them with an FSmash when they would otherwise sweet spot the ledge. Not sure how badly the new edge mechanics destroy the ability to do so.

Top Bottom