• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DIG DUG aka Taizo Hori: The Man with the Giant Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Alright, here it goes again. I created a thread about Dig Dug, Mr. Driller, and Kissy from Baraduke but it got literally no responses. I'm bringing down the focus to just Dig Dug this time since I've seen people talking about him but no character support thread has been made.

Dig Dug, also known as Taizo Hori in his more recent appearances, is not only one of video gaming's most iconic characters, but he is owned by Namco and has appeared on Nintendo systems multiple times. While he is definitely a retro character, Namco has shown their love for him by finding excuses to bring him back time and time again in the Mr. Driller series and by choosing him as a representative in the Namco x Capcom video game.

Dig Dug (1982): One of the most iconic early video games, right up there with Oregon Trail and Lemmings in my mind. For those who don't know, you essentially play Dig Dug and carve out tunnels with a giant drill in order to hunt down underground monsters. When you find them, your drill tip launches into them like a harpoon that's connected to the pump handle with an air hose, allowing Dug to start pumping the monsters full of air until they pop.
It was a classic, creative, and over all wonderfully fun game... especially for the time. The game has appeared on Nintendo consoles several times, largely as part of Namco Classic collections.
Wikipedia Link: Dig Dug

Dig Dug/Taizo Hori's history with Nintendo, courtesy of Rosalina Supporter:

Dig Dug (NES) (JP).1985
Dig Dug 2: Trouble in Paradise (NES) 1985
Dig Dug (GB) 1992
Famicom Mini: ( GBA) Dig Dug (JP): May 21, 2004
Dig Dug: Digging Strike (Nintendo DS)October 18, 2005

Dig Dugs Cameos.-
The character Pooka has many cameos in Namco games, most often as an enemy in Namco games such as the Pac-Man World series. Pooka was playable for the first time in the game Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness as an unlockable character for the multiplayer modes. He is also available to play as in Pac-Man World Rally, as well as Fygar. Pooka also appeared in the Namco arcade game Pole Position on a roadside billboard. In Pac-Man World, he appears as one of the friends of Pac-Man who was kidnapped by Toc-Man.

In R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, there is an American racing team with Dig Dug artwork on its hauler and is named the "Dig Racing Team", run by manager Robert Chrisman. It is the "expert" team of the game. Also in R4, the track "Phantomile" has a giant statue of Pooka alongside Pac-Man on the left hand side of the finishing straight. The "Pooka Line" track, which is the first in the game, has a giant screen with a Pooka and Fygar chasing Dig Dug's protagonist in arcade-style graphics, which changes to him inflating a Pooka when the player takes the lead. In Ridge Racer 64, however, "Dig Racing Team" has to be unlocked by winning all the tracks in Stage 3 in first place – and waiting for the credits to roll, then defeating the car on the "Renegade Expert" track in Car Attack mode. This same game also features Pooka as a selectable car, which is unlocked by breaking the time record in any of the Ridge Racer Extreme tracks on Time Attack mode.

The Dig Dug universe and some of its characters appear in the Mr. Driller games, starring Taizo Hori's son, Susumu. Additionally, he is also a playable character in the Japan only RPG, Namco X Capcom.

Namco compilations That include Dig Dug-

Namco Museum 64 November 29, 1999
Namco Museum (GBA) November 29, 1999
Namco 50-year Anniversary GameCube,GBA August 30, 2005.)

Namco Museum (DS) Sep 18, 2007

Namco Museum Remix (Wii)-Oct 23, 2007)

Namco Museum MegaMix (Wii) Nov 16, 2010)

DIG DUG
(aka, Taizo Hori)
His original character art depicting him drillpumping an enemy to balloony oblivion​
As he appears in the Mr. Driller series​
Dig Dug's Character Description, Special Moves, and Final Smash

In the Mr. Driller series, Dig Dug/Taizo is portrayed as a glory-seeking show boater and the father of the main character. He's not remarkably intelligent and his greed for glory often gets the best of him. In the end, however, he is still regarded as a hero for his actions during the course of Dig Dug.

SPECIALS AND FINAL SMASH
DIG DUG, Taizo Hori

Up B​
DRILL HOOK
Dig Dug shoots off the tip of his drillpump at an angle as a diagonal tether recovery. If the tip hits an enemy, it grabs them and swings them in the opposite diagonal direction as the drillpump hose retracts.

Side B​
DRILL PUMP
Dig Dug's classic combat technique. He shoots off the tip of his drillpump into an unshielded enemy in front of him. A hose connects the tip and the actual drill, and the handle of the drill turns into an air pump. As you tap B, air is pumped into the enemy as it struggles for freedom and starts to rise like a balloon. When enough pumps go in or the enemy escapes, the foe takes damage and is launched based off of how much air was pumped in. It's harder to escape at higher percentages, and can be an effective killing move around 130%, but it's a risky move because if Dug misses he's vulnerable while the tip/hose is retracting.

Neutral B​
CHARGING BIT
Dig Dug turns on the drill and holds it in front of him. While the button is held, the drill continues to spin and Dug can run/jump around with it. It's useful for irritating enemies with quick damage and for cancelling out projectiles that disappear when hit.

Down B​
JACKHAMMER
Dig Dug turns on the drill and starts drilling downwards until the button is no longer held. In the air, it his fall speed increases while drilling, making it an effective approach from above. When hitting an enemy or hittable object, he stops on top of them and keeps drilling on them, but the drill starts moving left and right erratically as it bounces along. The same thing happens when used on the ground, except it starts spraying damaging rock chips to the sides as well.

Final Smash​
FULL PUMP
His Side B on steroids. He gets an insane look on his face and launches the pump tip into the first enemy in front of him, shielded or not, and starts pumping like crazy. A few moments later, the victim takes 50% damage and pops horribly, most likely killing it and anyone else nearby.

Thanks to 8-peacock-8 for pointing out that the main picture of my post wasn't working and finding this DeviantArtist's take on Dig Dug including alternate color schemes and moveset:
http://evilwaluigi.deviantart.com/art/NEWCMER-Taizo-Hori-343849632

His character has been shown as a digger, driller, soldier, husband, and father. I think it's time for him to be a Smash brother.

People who dig Dug for Smash Bros: SUPPORTERS' LIST

qdMbp
FallKoopa
8-peacock-8
Swampasaur
volbound1700
Rosalina suporter
frostwraith

Support icon, courtesy of FrostWraith

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Mr. Driller alt costume? (Just wears the suit)
Heh, totally. For Smash, I do imagine him looking more like the first picture with realistic proportions, and seeing full-size him with a ridiculous pink onesie would be literally the best thing ever.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Heh, totally. For Smash, I do imagine him looking more like the first picture with realistic proportions, and seeing full-size him with a ridiculous pink onesie would be literally the best thing ever.
How about this version? lol

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
How about this version? lol
Ah shoot, I put that picture up in the OP but I think it didn't show. That's exactly how I want him in the game, though maybe with a different drill. I imagine the drill looking more like, well, a drill and less like a tank's machine gun.

Is the cool picture showing up in the OP properly now?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ironically, I think he may have a better chance than Llyod Irving and definitely does over a Tekken character. I just don't see him beating Pac-Man however. Who knows though, since Namco is making the game, perhaps they get more then one.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ironically, I think he may have a better chance than Llyod Irving and definitely does over a Tekken character. I just don't see him beating Pac-Man however. Who knows though, since Namco is making the game, perhaps they get more then one.
He's not likely for one reason.

There is no demand for him. Lloyd, and Tekken characters have demand. Taizo does not.

Regardless, he would be cool to play as. Dat theme man!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sakurai loves games from his time. Pac-Man and Digdug were both big time 1980s games when Sakurai was in his teenage years. I say they both have a GREAT SHOT.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I've seen more people ask for Dig Dug. HOWEVER. All the people I'VE SEEN asking for him only want him in so Pac-Man, Lloyd, and a Tekken rep can't get in. So the people i've seen asking for Taizo Hori don't really want him.

I would love to have Taizo Hori though.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
He's not likely for one reason.

There is no demand for him. Lloyd, and Tekken characters have demand. Taizo does not.

Regardless, he would be cool to play as. Dat theme man!
Probably true. On the other hand...

He has a GIANT DRILL/HARPOON GUN/ENEMY EXPLODER!

Clearly, clearly, that should outweigh the little fact that nobody really seems to care about him.

Seriously though, he really would be a lot more interesting to play than Lloyd (more swords), Tekken characters (more fists), or Pac-man (Sonic+Wario). While not as popular of a choice as those three, he is more iconic than Lloyd, isn't from other fighting games (which Sakurai has nixed), and has aged much, much better than Pac-man.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Not when it comes to retro. See Ice Climbers for example. Truth is he probably asks around the rest of his staff for input as well.

Also King Dedede was going to be in Melee if they had more development time according to the rumors. Also it isn't like he can get Pac-Man and Digdug in the future. He will go after what he can get now.

To me, Pac-Man seems hard to topple form the Namco pyramid. He is iconic, he is old school, and he is the face of Namco.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
You do realize that Sakurai harbours a bias against his favourite characters? That's the reason why King Dedede and Meta Knight didn't show up until Brawl.
Well, for Kirby characters I think he just didn't want to seem unreasonably biased towards the characters that he helped create. That's certainly different than intentionally ignoring characters he likes.

Yeah, maybe we'll get two Namco characters... it's unfortunate that Pac-man is Namco's main icon and will probably get in. I feel like a lot of Pac-man supporters are more in the camp of "Well, he's Namco's icon and he'll probably get in" instead of "He'd be fun to play as!"

Dig Dug/Taizo Hori would be completely awesome to play as.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I think he has a chance of getting in with Pac-Man..Heres a history of Dig Dug with Nintendo.
Dig Dug (NES) (JP).1985

Dig Dug 2: Trouble in Paradise (NES) 1985

Dig Dug (GB) 1992

Famicom Mini: ( GBA) Dig Dug (JP): May 21, 2004

Dig Dug: Digging Strike (Nintendo DS)October 18, 2005

Dig Dugs Cameos.-

The character Pooka has many cameos in Namco games, most often as an enemy in Namco games such as the Pac-Man World series. Pooka was playable for the first time in the game Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness as an unlockable character for the multiplayer modes. He is also available to play as in Pac-Man World Rally, as well as Fygar. Pooka also appeared in the Namco arcade game Pole Position on a roadside billboard. In Pac-Man World, he appears as one of the friends of Pac-Man who was kidnapped by Toc-Man.

In R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, there is an American racing team with Dig Dug artwork on its hauler and is named the "Dig Racing Team", run by manager Robert Chrisman. It is the "expert" team of the game. Also in R4, the track "Phantomile" has a giant statue of Pooka alongside Pac-Man on the left hand side of the finishing straight. The "Pooka Line" track, which is the first in the game, has a giant screen with a Pooka and Fygar chasing Dig Dug's protagonist in arcade-style graphics, which changes to him inflating a Pooka when the player takes the lead. In Ridge Racer 64, however, "Dig Racing Team" has to be unlocked by winning all the tracks in Stage 3 in first place – and waiting for the credits to roll, then defeating the car on the "Renegade Expert" track in Car Attack mode. This same game also features Pooka as a selectable car, which is unlocked by breaking the time record in any of the Ridge Racer Extreme tracks on Time Attack mode.

The Dig Dug universe and some of its characters appear in the Mr. Driller games, starring Taizo Hori's son, Susumu. Additionally, he is also a playable character in the Japan only RPG, Namco X Capcom.

Namco compilations That include Dig Dug-

Namco Museum 64 November 29, 1999
Namco Museum (GBA) November 29, 1999
Namco 50-year Anniversary GameCube,GBA August 30, 2005.)

Namco Museum (DS) Sep 18, 2007

Namco Museum Remix (Wii)-Oct 23, 2007)

Namco Museum MegaMix (Wii) Nov 16, 2010)

More on Dig Dug-

Mr. Driller was originally intended to be a third game in the Dig Dug series, under the working title of Dig Dug 3. Hexagonal blocks were briefly considered, but this idea was abandoned when chain construction proved to be too complicated. Dig Dug 3 was initially developed unofficially by a few Namco staff; however, work on the game was suspended while Ridge Racer Type 4 was being completed. However, Namco executives were impressed with the game and decided to support it as an official project.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Rosalina Supporter
What was the need to make the text that big? (>_>);

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well, for Kirby characters I think he just didn't want to seem unreasonably biased towards the characters that he helped create. That's certainly different than intentionally ignoring characters he likes.

Yeah, maybe we'll get two Namco characters... it's unfortunate that Pac-man is Namco's main icon and will probably get in. I feel like a lot of Pac-man supporters are more in the camp of "Well, he's Namco's icon and he'll probably get in" instead of "He'd be fun to play as!"

Dig Dug/Taizo Hori would be completely awesome to play as.
I see alot of supporters of Pac-Man including myself that want him in because he would be fun to play as. I also think Dig Dug and Lloyd Irving would be fun to play, especially Digdug because he would be so unique.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I see alot of supporters of Pac-Man including myself that want him in because he would be fun to play as. I also think Dig Dug and Lloyd Irving would be fun to play, especially Digdug because he would be so unique.
Cool, it's good to hear that there are Pac-man supporters who are actually excited to play him and not just see him. Pac-man's iconic status alone warrants his inclusion, it is nice to know that people think he'll have gameplay merits as well... most movesets I've seen have looked a lot like a combination of those of different characters, but I'm sure the Smash team will think of something. I just get a little bummed thinking that Pac-man will probably override the Namco characters I'm more excited about, especially since there are actually quite a few good options.

Speaking of movesets, how do people imagine Dig Dug playing? Would any of his attacks not use the drillgun?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Gotta admit it. Dig Dug looks like an interesting character. That huge drill makes him really unique imo.

Hmmm... Maybe it's time for a supporters' list?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Gotta admit it. Dig Dug looks like an interesting character. That huge drill makes him really unique imo.

Hmmm... Maybe it's time for a supporters' list?
Sure thing. Start posting if you want to be on the supporters' list! I might not update it super frequently, but I might as well start it up. I might do some alternate color ideas as well.

Edit: started the list. If I've put you on and you don't want to be, feel free to let me know. I know Frostwraith makes tons of icons so maybe that doesn't actually support, but I still slapped you in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom