• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Difficulties in improving

3Boz

Smash Rookie
How to actually improve in melee? I've been playing this game for 1,5 years and I know the advanced tech skill. But there are still players who are either have the same tech skill as me and 4 stocking me or players with only knowledge of few advanced techniques and are still be better or going even.
So thats why I was asking me how to actually understand melee and break down your and the enemy's moves.
I have recently played against a Falco who did nothing but excessive rolling. I knew what he was going for most of the time but I wasn't able to punish it. And I experience this the most of the time, I know the enemy's habits but I dont know how to work out a counter strategy which I can implement in my own gameplay. I dont get it when I play people for the first time and they just 4 stocking me, I mean are they that good to know my playstyle already even though we never played against before.
I watch top level marths and everything seems so logical, but when it comes to implement the things I've seen in tournaments I am not able to do it.
I watch my own replays but there is the same issue as beforementioned.
I have stopped playing melee for a while because I dont see a progress.
So what can I actually do?

iCrash

Smash Cadet
By knowing the advanced tech skill, do you mean you know what it is, or you know how to do it and can do so consistently?

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like you know how to do all this tech stuff but dont actually have a good grasp on neutral or punish game. Focus on the basics, watch youtube tutorials and grind the hell out of punish game and try to think of creative ways to punish every **** up the other guy makes. As for neutral you gain experience with that naturally over time but a quick youtube search can help speed up the process.
TLDR: Work more on the core fundamentals and less on the cool tech skill

Top Bottom