• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences Between Marth and Lucina - My First Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanP_91

Smash Cadet
This is my first thread on Smashboards, so sorry if there's anything wrong with it. Before starting, I must say I won't include any statistics whatsoever, and this whole analysis is based on my own experience and some investigation.

"Lucina=Female Marth without sweetspot". Wrong. Even this little detail on a character can completely change how he/she plays, clone or not.

First of all, Marth is regarded as a great zoner due to his excellent range(nerfed or not). His sweetspot makes him even better, as opponents will be launched farther away from him, racking up damage and at times giving chance for combos. Still, Marth isn't always able to follow mainly because at times you'll land a sweetspot causing your hit to have more knockback and furthermore leaving you unable to follow up on time, so controlling whether you land a sweetspot or not is essential when playing as Marth, and could ultimately decide a match. Also, trying to not land them results in decreased damage, so it isn't too rewarding to do so. Him being nerfed in Smash 4 is mainly due to this.

I think this is the reason why it was stated that Lucina could be easier to use than Marth. As she has no sweetspot, the knockback and damage caused by her attacks is constant and more controllable for new and veteran players alike.

About Lucina, she doesn't only not have a sweetspot, but has other traits that make her stand out. She's slightly shorter than Marth, and so is her Falchion, even though not by much. How does this affect her? Simple. She has a smaller hurtbox, thus making her able to make safer approaches, and her shorter blade means she's not as good at spacing. This should't affect her most of the time though. Most importantly, she has more opportunities to follow up at mid-high percents and has no problems with unconsistent knockback or reduced damage because of sourspots. She's fit well with the change Marth had from Brawl to Smash 4 as she doesn't need much range to perform well, not saying Marth doesn't.

NOTE: Lucina has slightly faster Fair and Bair, Marth has slightly faster FSmash, USmash, and Jab.
At times I've even been able to land 2 Fairs with Lucina, Marth can KO earlier.

In conclusion, Marth has more spacing prowess than Lucina due to obvious reasons, has higher KO potential at low percentages, and works better with short, strong combos. Lucina isn't as good at spacing and can approach and follow up more constantly being able to rack up some more damage, but not finish off opponents as early as Marth. Still, it is important to know you must NOT abuse this differences, as for most aspects, Marth and Lucina are pretty much equal. Whether you use on or the other ultimately depends on which fits better your playsyle.

Any opinions are appreciated, good or not!!!

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there. First of all welcome to Smashboards. We already have a thread pinned to our character board that highlights the differences between Marth and Lucina. It also includes specific data as to their differences (programmed values). Additionally if you want to go in depth you can check out Lucina's Frame Data and compare them to Marth's Frame Data. For this reason, I am locking the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom