• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

diddys worst match ups

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Just out of wonder what are diddys worst match ups? I hear rose and spammers are bad match ups for him.

Also how do you cover some of your weaknesses as a diddy main? Do u have a 2nd character just for some match ups and to cover his weaker match ups.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
mega man is pretty good against diddy kong, i havnt lost to any diddykongs yet as mega man

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
I always struggle with the Rosalina and Luma matchup, as well as the Little Mac matchup.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Villager because of how good at he is at gimping Diddy's recovery.

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
I always struggle with the Rosalina and Luma matchup, as well as the Little Mac matchup.
Could you tell a bit more about Little Mac? I main Mac and I encountered an extremely good Diddy on for glory today. Couldn't do a thing.

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
Rose and Villager are his worst. Megaman can be tough if the Megaman knows what he's doing. That MU is probably even. I say Rosa and Villager have a clear advantage over Diddy though.

I don't think Diddy's bad MUs are so bad that you' need a secondary. Just learn them imo.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Could you tell a bit more about Little Mac? I main Mac and I encountered an extremely good Diddy on for glory today. Couldn't do a thing.
Whenever I play Little Mac, I always find it incredibly hard to approach him, as his roll is so hard and so hard to punish in a game where roll is already your best out of shield option. A Mac that can stay away from any and all approaches is a tough Mac indeed.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'd say Villager is his worst MU right now because he can pocket the nana, camp Diddy and is really good at the gimping Diddy's recovery. I'd say campers like Mega, Tink and DHD probably go evenish with him on paper because they can always maintain frame advantage on him due to forcing him to approach. Rosalina I don't know too well but she apparently does well against Diddy. Fast characters like Fox, Sheik, Greninja etc. can match him too as they can compete with him frame data wise.

Whenever I play Little Mac, I always find it incredibly hard to approach him, as his roll is so hard and so hard to punish in a game where roll is already your best out of shield option. A Mac that can stay away from any and all approaches is a tough Mac indeed.
You don't need to approach Mac though because he can't force approaches himself. You can just spam peanuts at him with a nana in hand and he'll have to approach you. When he starts getting close to you wait for him to commit to something and then punish it with the nana. If you land the nana that should be a free grab, which will get him into the air.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
You don't need to approach Mac though because he can't force approaches himself. You can just spam peanuts at him with a nana in hand and he'll have to approach you. When he starts getting close to you wait for him to commit to something and then punish it with the nana. If you land the nana that should be a free grab, which will get him into the air.
Yeah, that's true. It might just be a bad matchup because I'm playing the matchup wrong, since I try to make my Diddy as aggressive as possible.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
yeah i normally don't have any problems with little mac. the banana seems to destroy him and side b is pretty good for punishing his rolls.

match ups I find the hardest are the projectile based characters, especially villager. Projectiles can really gimp diddy's upB which makes the match up tough if they get you off stage.

As for rosalina, i don't find her to be too bad anymore. You just have to be really patient and think through all your approaches. I find that you shouldn't stop using the banana even though she can gravity it. Gravity has such a long animation that even if she uses it to catch the nana, you can get a free punish. Also, this may not help against really good players, but I find most rosalinas will use gravity whenever you have a banana in hand. Pull the banana out, wait for gravity, then punish it all day with side b until they're conditioned into not using gravity

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
When Kirby gets Diddy off the edge, it's game over for Diddy as Kirby has D-air into footstool.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Still I do not feel very well with Kirby, Diddys Up-Air kills too early.. Mario feels decent, since fireball and cape are quite useful tools against him. I dont think it is an advantage for mario though.

Andrew_Ryan

Smash Cadet
I also have a bit of trouble with Mario, not sure why. I think it's the fire ball; it's hard to get around since I don't think monkey kick goes through it.

Genghis_Connor

Smash Cadet
NNID
Genghis_Connor27
3DS FC
4356-1827-2712
Pit arrows gimp us to hell. Everything else about that MU is in our favor, but damn. Don't waste time offstage when Pit's got his arrows aimed at your Rocketbarrel Boost.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Pit arrows gimp us to hell. Everything else about that MU is in our favor, but damn. Don't waste time offstage when Pit's got his arrows aimed at your Rocketbarrel Boost.
same goes for pikachu. thunder jolt snipes really destroy our upB. not to mention that good pikachus will chase us off stage every chance they get

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Did anyone watch Beast 5? Don't know how much it was the player or the character, but Luigi did look good vs Diddy, to the point, in the finals he changed up to Shiek.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Did anyone watch Beast 5? Don't know how much it was the player or the character, but Luigi did look good vs Diddy, to the point, in the finals he changed up to Shiek.
No different than Brawl, really. Luigi slides after being hit by a banana or something light, it resets the momentum every hit and Diddy relies on that. Thankfully, our aerials dominate Luigi, so it's still likely our favor. Just needs to be played campy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4sheik: might have a slight advantage, purely cause she can really disturb :4diddy:'s flow. She's so fast, that even :4diddy: feels uncomfortable around her. And needles plus grenades are awesome for catching Diddy off guard. I also really dislike being too much above :4sheik: cause of her U Smash's crazy range. It's best to try and finish her off as quickly as possible. It's one of my favorite matchups so far because of the thrill. It really feels whoever lands the first blow or gets the first string going will get the major advantage in the overall match. They both combo the hell out of each other.

Sattoz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sir8BitHero
I saw a thread regarding olimar vs diddy on the /r/smashbros subreddit and thought it belonged here:
Diddy thrives off of his banana setups to pressure in neutral and grabs to convert into high damage. However, Olimar is able to shut down Diddy's options in neutral thanks to the fact that his best zoning tools beat Diddy's banana and he's really good at keeping him in that optimum range for Olimar to convert into damage. Latched Pikmin prevent the banana from coming out at all, Pikmin thrown at grounded bananas will bring it to Olimar and Purple Pikmin Side B (and all FSmashes) barrel right through bananas and hit Diddy. The hard part of this match-up for Olimar is if he does get grabbed against Diddy he can have trouble coming down and he also gets killed very early by him, however unlike against most characters Diddy struggles getting those grabs against Olimar in the first place.

RedQuelll

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedQuell
Yeah, that's true. It might just be a bad matchup because I'm playing the match up wrong, since I try to make my Diddy as aggressive as possible.
What I do is force them to make the approach. Pull out the popgun and sit on the corner (the only match up I to am not being hyper aggressive in) once he comes, shield grab him, back throw offstage (he will be forced to jump do to the knock back, otherwise he wont make it back to stage.Thus, jump and fair him. This will literally kill little mac at zero percent because his recovery is that easily gimped. He has no options. I actually have a replay where I JV 3d a little mac on for glory doing this, absolutely hilarious. I never lose to mac anymore after figuring this out (not that I discovered it or anything, just noticed it worked.)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy's D Air and throws should cripple Mac with ease. Just put your shield up and hold a banana in the hand, that alone will frustrate him more than enough. Also, approach with aerials.

RedQuelll

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedQuell
Diddy's D Air and throws should cripple Mac with ease. Just put your shield up and hold a banana in the hand, that alone will frustrate him more than enough. Also, approach with aerials.
However, I prefer my method as opposed to using bananas on Mac. (cant shield grab with the banana in hand) Now of course, there are some macs out there who know what i'm looking for and will just sit there on the opposite side. In this case I also do what you suggested, not only is it boring to wait for sudden death, but its harder for diddy to win a sudden death against mac. lol

Scr7

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scr7ven
I would say Sheik just because she can outplay Diddy in the neutral, and once you're offstage against Sheik with no double jump you're basically dead.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy can wall cling on some stages, and climb the stage using that vs Sheik. Sheik is definitely the hardest matchup for Diddy currently I'll agree with though. Needles are just too good.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I saw a thread regarding olimar vs diddy on the /r/smashbros subreddit and thought it belonged here:
Just re-read this again, and I will agree, :4olimar: is harder than most. As :diddy: also really struggled against :olimar:, but this time, :4diddy: is muccchhhh better at finishing :4olimar: off. Which was a great problem before that Olimar really benefitted from, much like :snake:. They could outcamp :diddy: through this by just living much longer.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
No different than Brawl, really. Luigi slides after being hit by a banana or something light, it resets the momentum every hit and Diddy relies on that. Thankfully, our aerials dominate Luigi, so it's still likely our favor. Just needs to be played campy.
This. Luigi, Greninja, and to a lesser extent Yoshi have this horrible slide momentum making it tough to control them, judge distance for bananas, and get a grab.

Top Bottom