• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy qualms

bgh0521

Smash Rookie
I love playing diddy, he's awsome, but what are some general things i need to be doing. I try short hop airs alot and smash attack. i mix jabs in there. What is the best general strat for playing him.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
I've had a good run with Diddy Kong by flowing in chains with his moves. He's very fluent in his attack movements, not to mention the ability to exted his timing via bananas. Depending on the opponent, bananas can be harmful or helpful.This also depends on YOU. Being able to pick up your bananas, reguardless of whether or not they are working for you at that time, is very important. Best not to slip on your own peel when you're about to forward throw your opponent and take his last stock.

For approaches, dash attack is near flawless. It covers a good...I'd say 90-180 degree arc on Diddy's body, from his feet to his head in front of him. It pops up enemies perfectly for follow up chains, such as utilt (which has near no lag). Also, his throws are decent, especially his forward throws and back throws. His fair has better range, and his forward throw is stronger in pretty much all aspects compared to the back throw.

For smashes, Fsmash does well against shielding opponents, since most multi-hit attacks land the more powerful hit after the shield shrinks. Dsmash comes out faster and hits lower, with a slight reduction in power. Upsmash is decent, but if done while dashing it usually doesn't have knockback, since you slide the final hit out of the way in most cases.

Some simple chains to try out might be as follows:
Banana->fthrow->fair
Banana->dthrow->bair
Dash attack->utilt->uair/fair/bair
Natural combo->ftilt(it's surprisingly powerful)

Diddy's KO strength is horizontal, since most all of his killing moves cause the opponent to fly left or right. However, don't let that discourage you from trying vertical KOs/combos. Diddy's dair is a nasty spike, but has a bit of windup lag. Perfect for spiking Snakes on Cyphers ;P

Diddy's moves by themselves are powerful, but manipulating how the opponent moves with bananas and being able to follow up most any approach is a must for a Diddy, in my opinion. Learn some simple chains, try out some of your own combo ideas for sick results.

That's my rant :p

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
As far as the characters, I don't think there's a good list to be made.

To point out the extremes, if you are careful with your timing, and comfortable with your chikita (those are bananas, right?) then no opponent is a bad opponent.

On the flipside, if you're just learning how to use them, then no opponent is a good opponent.

Go watch some Diddy vids with the intent of watching their banana games, and try to ask yourself why something they did worked, or didn't work. And then try it out!

Good luck.

Also, people (you and your opponent) tend to forget the mixup capabilities of the Diddy Hump (over B). It will grab a shielder and the kick is a good mixup.

Top Bottom