• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Observations (and how Villager wrecks Diddy)

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
TL;DR: Villager's pocket has a time limit, anything put in it must be taken out or used within a minute.
Of course Villager can just re pocket the banana after pulling it out. This usually means a variable loss in momentum against Diddy.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Villager doesn't wreck Diddy just because he can pocket a banana. A good Diddy will bait you into using pocket and then when Villager starts the animation where he pulls his hand back in and throws his arms up you will be hit.

Villager's Lloid rocket is very easy to deal with, Diddy outspeeds Villager and can crouch under Villager's fair.

Spaced Fair beats Villager's Nair. The best thing Villager can do to Diddy is gimp him.

I could see this as even at best, even then it still feels as if Diddy has the advantage because he deals with Villager's best options quite effectively.

I did my best to explain it. Maybe the matchup isn't even and Villager could wreck Diddy but all of this is from my experience.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Villager can force Diddy to approach and can gimp his recovery really with drop-off tools like fsmash.

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
That's why Diddy shouldn't recover from directly below......

You guys have never played a good Diddy lol.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
That's why Diddy shouldn't recover from directly below......

You guys have never played a good Diddy lol.

If Diddy uses sideb to snap the edge he can get hit out of it, forcing him to upb from below. Sidebing above stage level every time is predictable and unsafe so sometimes Diddy will be forced to upb. When Diddy is charging upb Villager can charge Fsmash above the ledge, which if released at the right time will gimp Diddy if he tries to upb to the ledge. You don't have to be 'directly' below. If timed correctly the fsmash can catch Diddy trying to ledgesnap regardless of what angle he comes from. The other option is to upb over villager and onto the stage. Apart from the laggy landing, it would require Diddy to not drop too far when charging the barrels, in which case Villager can probably just go off stage and gimp him in a more conventional manner.

It's not a guaranteed gimp but if you think Villager isn't a huge threat to Diddy everytime he's forced to use his specials to recover you probably haven't played a Villager who knows how to gimp.

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Nobody will cover all of those options at once. Villager can run away but Diddy beats him up close. Diddy can score a grab and then follow up with uairs. Villager can't camp above Diddy lol.

I've played good Villagers but I don't let a fsmash determine the matchup.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Nobody will cover all of those options at once. Villager can run away but Diddy beats him up close. Diddy can score a grab and then follow up with uairs. Villager can't camp above Diddy lol.

The video I posted ITT pretty much proves you wrong. It works and it's the most boring mess to watch.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
He would have played Zero Suit if he didn't think he was a good Villager.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
He would have played Zero Suit if he didn't think he was a good Villager.
Salem isn't very good with ZSS in Smash 4. He is on Brawl autopilot with her.
He has clearly played Villager the most but he still keeps switching characters.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Matchup could still be in his favour. And I don't think Salem had nearly as much practice on Villager as ZeRo had on Diddy.
To tell the truth i don't really think that Timer scamming was the best idea against Diddy, a character that goes nuts when he gets advantage. If in that minute and a half that Salem began timer scamming he made one mistake (which he made a few) then Zero's Diddy could make him regret it so hard.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

You can cover all of Diddy's recovery options fairly easy with Villager. You just have to cover above stage level with sideb and fair or something and that stops Diddy from sidebing to the ledge or onto the stage. He's then forced to upb from below the stage, at which point you can gimp him with fsmash, unless Diddy somehow plays it that he starts charging early enough that he can either upb to the ledge or over Villager and onto the stage.

That's why Villager is so good at gimping Diddy. Whenever Diddy has the option of recovering high with sideb or low with downb, Villager can just commit to denying the high recovery because he can then reactively gimp Diddy even if he misreads and Diddy goes low.

Top Bottom