• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong vs. Toon Link

JBix

Ka744
NNID
murderotica744
Do you guys/gals have any tips on how to approach Toon Link as Diddy Kong? I am having a lot of trouble getting near my friend without taking too much damage.

Things I have tried.
Dash - Shield. He Grabs me with his Grappling Hook
SH - Fair. Boomerang knocks me back, or throws bomb
Roll. Arrow or Boomerang
Side B - Same as above.
Banana or popgun get negated by any of his projectiles.
High Approach, results in his up-smash.
Let him come to me... Doesn't Happen.

He has gotten really good at throwing a bomb between us. Throwing his boomerang in an upward arc to control my aerial attacks and charging his bow for anything else.

Ill be honest I am not the greatest at the game and just started playing Diddy, but this match up has me frazzled. I've searched YouTube for this match-up, and there really isn't much out there.

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it!

RyanFoolz

Smash Rookie
I have recently tried using Diddy these past few days as well and have had similar trouble against Links who just spam the boomerang, arrows, and bombs. Having a ton of trouble approaching.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Short hop flip kick as they charge an arrow. If you judge distance correctly you'll beat the arrow and hit them during the end lag. It's a quick and dirty way to get in. If you find yourself at close quarters with Link, you'll want a quick move (I like d-tilt) due to the fact that his sword will generally beat out most of your moves if he gets a chance to send out a hitbox. Once you're in, hit them grab them and throw them off stage or in the air.

Link is generally pretty unsafe with someone below him. Your goal is to either bait out a dair and punish it with a fsmash or dthrow uair, or force an air dodge to frame trap him into another uair.

If a Link takes to the air, a short hop fair is usually pretty quick, safe, and a good way to space.

Just try to minimize getting hit by his normals by keeping to safe, quick moves and getting up in their face and into the air.

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
My best friend main Toon Link so I'm pretty experienced with the match up.
If TL is putting up a wall of projectiles there are 2 way you can approach him:

1. Side B - If you get the timing right your foot will break through both arrows and boomerangs. Be careful with this though, If he gets time to shield it there's a free punish for him due to the end lag

2. Falling fair - Toon Links projectiles don't cover the space above and slightly in front of him, so if you can avoid the boomerang when its thrown at an angle you can fast fall forward air to break up his camping. fair beats TL's upsmash and if they shield it you can go straight into repeated down tilt to avoid getting punished.

Here's a video for some reference, unfortunately this is the only clip I have of us at the moment, He was playing quit aggressively this game but there are some things to take away form it.

Ill be able to upload some better games tonight.

Last edited:

JBix

Ka744
NNID
murderotica744
My best friend main Toon Link so I'm pretty experienced with the match up.
If TL is putting up a wall of projectiles there are 2 way you can approach him:

1. Side B - If you get the timing right your foot will break through both arrows and boomerangs. Be careful with this though, If he gets time to shield it there's a free punish for him due to the end lag

2. Falling fair - Toon Links projectiles don't cover the space above and slightly in front of him, so if you can avoid the boomerang when its thrown at an angle you can fast fall forward air to break up his camping. fair beats TL's upsmash and if they shield it you can go straight into repeated down tilt to avoid getting punished.

Here's a video for some reference, unfortunately this is the only clip I have of us at the moment, He was playing quit aggressively this game but there are some things to take away form it.

Ill be able to upload some better games tonight.

Thank you very much. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. In a lot respect I do need to just get better, but having some ideas will help.

Thanks again

Top Bottom