• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong: use em or forget it?

StamataBar

Smash Rookie
i was using diddy kong today just messing around with characters (my main is PIT prob like alot of other people) and i found that most of his attacks lead into his other ones perfectly. he seems like one big combo character. the only thing i cant figure out is how to use his pop gun and his b up move. how do you guys think diddy would translate as a solid main character, and where do you guys rate him?

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
i have yet to impliment the popgun into my playing as of yet, but his up+b recovery is actually quite easy to use

he's good, and i love maining him

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
I find Diddy a lot of fun... his bananas and style of attack just fits me perfectly. He'll probably be my main for a good long time.

His peanuts are certainly not useless... however they aren't that useful except for in key situations. They have a difficult trajectory to master, are very easily avoided, and don't have much stunning ability. I rarely ever use them, although I sometimes shoot a few to mix things up.

His Barrel Cannons (B-Up) are very good. By charging them and aiming, you can recover from just about anything, especially when you use the Side-B (Diddy Hump) first. They can also spike, if you blast from directly above someone. And as an extra bonus, if you ever get hit while using them, the barrels will fly off and explode, often hitting your attacker and sending him flying.

Hope that helps. :)

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
So far he is my favorite character in the game. He is well rounded on the ground and in the air. As far as combos go he is spectacular. His up+b is not only a great as a recovery, but it does a good amount of damage too. I like to stick it at the end of a combo if the guy is above me. After the Diddy Hump they are usually in a perfect position for this. Only thing is you're sitting duck afterwards or if you miss....
The popgun I use
1. At the start of a match or to throw off an aggressive attack
2. Spamming - when I don't feel like chasing someone off the edge

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
One thing about the peanut gun and other projectiles... it's not always so much hitting them, as it is making them avoid it/move to not take damage, which can make it easier to hit with your main attacks. Gives the opponent another thing to worry about.

Personally, I've been playing almost everybody and haven't given Diddy much time other than the first day, so I haven't really gotten good at his recovery and manage to bounce off the stage a fair amount. His lack of killing moves (fair is great, fsmash is great, and dsmash can do the job at times) also puts me off, when I find that I enjoy (and usually have greater success) with many other characters. He's still a lot of fun to play, and I'm not gonna write him off yet in terms of whether or not to get good with him.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Killing moves are all of his airs, his side smash, down smash, up tilt, side tilt, up b, pop gun, over b....trust me he has PLENTY of moves for killing.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
Killing moves are all of his airs, his side smash, down smash, up tilt, side tilt, up b, pop gun, over b....trust me he has PLENTY of moves for killing.
How can you list his tilts, pop gun, and over b as killing moves?? These moves are situational and can be used to make a kill, but they are definitely not "KO moves"

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
How can you list his tilts, pop gun, and over b as killing moves?? These moves are situational and can be used to make a kill, but they are definitely not "KO moves"
pop gun and over b is situational. His tilts do kill. Not at like 120 but in the higher hundreds.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
Started using is forward tilt more often and it is a very useful defensive move. I also retract my earlier statement about it not being a killing move. It managed to knock Pit out a few times for me, and thats an important thing against a character like him

Top Bottom