• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Racing 2?

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Today a rumor popped up on My Nintendo News stating that DKR2 is actually a possibility. I have a few problems with this rumor because it has a some inconsistencies. First off, My Nintendo News have reported on DKR2 rumors before and even got in touch with a rep from Monster Games who said the rumor was bogus a year ago. Secondly, its coming from a Reddit user implying its insider news with no legitimacy of it. Even though these may be problems with the fact that the sources are not so trustworthy, it still has some valid points going for it. Including the fact that Monster Games hasn't worked on any game fully since Pilotwing Resort which came out in 2011. They worked on DKC Returns 3D and DKC:TF since then, but those shouldn't be considered since one of those games was a port and the other they were aiding on the development of. The details of the rumor are listed below.

• Retro Studios and Monster Games have been collaborating on Diddy Kong Racing 2.
  • This is why Monster Games ported Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and worked with Retro Studios on DKC: Tropical Freeze.
  • Diddy Kong Racing 2 began as a prototype in 2006. The animal transformation vehicles idea in Excitebots (2009) came from Diddy Kong Racing 2 prototype. The animal vehicles came from the idea of riding animal buddies in the Donkey Kong Country series.
  • The Wii Diddy Kong Racing was cancelled due to Donkey Kong Barrel Blasts low sales. It was also cancelled because Diddy Kong Racing DS didn’t sell as well as the original N64 game.
  • Nintendo asked Monster Games to work on Pilotwings because they were impressed with the flight/airplane mechanics in Monster’s DKC Racing prototype. Diddy Kong Racing was well known for letting players ride karts, hovercrafts, and planes.
  • Diddy Kong Racing 2 started up development for again (this time for Wii U) due to the amazing sales of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Mario Kart Wii.
  • Kensuke Tanabe, the producer of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, pitched the idea of Dillon (from Dillon’s Rolling Western) to be one of the racers in the game. Tanabe was the producer of Dillon’s Rolling Western, and he liked the idea of having a roster of lesser known Nintendo characters.
  • Tanabe thought that the concept of lesser known Nintendo characters “fighting to be Nintendo’s big star” could prove to be interesting for Diddy Kong Racing. Characters such as Mallo (Pushmo) and Rusty (Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball) were also added as racers to fill out the roster.
  • Nintendo purposely held off from showing Diddy Kong Racing 2 at E3 this year to avoid sabotaging the excitement around Mario Kart 8. It sounds like Diddy Kong Racing 2 will be revealed sometime in 2015, and released that same year.
  • Diddy Kong was taken out of Mario Kart 7 and 8 because of Diddy Kong Racing 2. Diddy Kong had appeared in Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii.
So I'd give this rumor some legitimacy, the reasoning behind it is pretty convincing and would explain a lot of the things we've seen so far. The strongest proof of this however is this famous quote from a blog on Neogaf.

Right now, the 20 employees at Monster Games are working on a top-secret video game for Nintendo. They’ve worked on it for two years and are nearly finished. The process is so private the designers must darken their monitors when the bottled-water deliveryman enters the office.
So what do you think of this rumor? Legit? Fake?
Check out the Original Source and see for yourself.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
there was also a rumor a few months back but it was proven fake.

anyway I don't see it happening

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
@ Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar Dillon would make so much sense if this was ever made!

@ Malkior7 Malkior7 Yeah I did include it within the links. That's what really killed it for me since in related articles you see they had already reported it so why the heck report on the same rumor a year later? I don't see why they shouldn't do it tho, to me DKR2 is like the Pokemon Snap of Donkey Kong. Tons of fan demand for the best spin off in the series, yet they keep ignoring it.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
@ Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar Dillon would make so much sense if this was ever made!

@ Malkior7 Malkior7 Yeah I did include it within the links. That's what really killed it for me since in related articles you see they had already reported it so why the heck report on the same rumor a year later? I don't see why they shouldn't do it tho, to me DKR2 is like the Pokemon Snap of Donkey Kong. Tons of fan demand for the best spin off in the series, yet they keep ignoring it.
That last sentence just resonates with me.

I would prefer an updated DKR that has better controls, better modes (Not silver coin challenge) and allows for online unlike the DS version.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
That last sentence just resonates with me.

I would prefer an updated DKR that has better controls, better modes (Not silver coin challenge) and allows for online unlike the DS version.
I think we all would love to see something like that. Here's hoping Nintendo comes thru for us soon.

Top Bottom