• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Moveset topic *WIP*

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Note: I don't have taunts.

Entrance is the DK barrel.

One taunt is him clapping as seen in the Nintendo Fall conference video.

I don't have knockback details for most of his moves, as a lot of them didn't hit.

If you find anything new post it and I'll edit it in.

Diddy Kong.
---
Neutral attacks
---
Standard Combo: Two punches then a tail combo (Video 1, Video 2)

Dash Attack: Cartwheel (Numerous sources)
---
Tilts
---
Forward Tilt: Pushes both hands forward. (?) (Video 1, Video 2)

Up Tilt: A sort of upward sweep with one hand (Video 7)

Down Tilt:
---
Smashes
---
Forward Smash: spins in place and smashes the enemies with his arms. (Video 2)

Up Smash: Jumps up then attacks with his arms. (Video 2)

Down Smash: Fairly strong, Breakdancing (Video 7, Darkgea)
---
Aerials
---
Neutral Air: Appears to be a Sex kick (Like Mario, Luigi, Link, Samus, Doctor Mario, etc in Melee). (Video 3)

Forward Air: If you're played SSB 64 it's like Mario's forward air in That. Kicks both feet forward. (Darkgea, Video 3)

Back Air: Similar to Jigglypuffs in Melee. (Video 1, Video 3)

Up Air: Like Fox's in Melee only weaker. (Darkgea quote)

Down Air: Faster verison of DK's, Meteor (Darkgea)
---
Special moves
---
Neutral B: Peanut Popguns. Charge to shoot peanuts faster, can expldoe if charged for too long, peant shells may break revealing the nut inside, this heals damage. (Dojo site, numerous videos)

Forward B: He does a flip and catches onto thing, damaging them. (Numerous sources, Video 2 (Doesn't hit), Video 6 (Hits a paratroopa, so it may be different on a normal character))

Up B: Rocketbarrel Boost, can be charged for higher recovery. Descent slows as you charge. Can be knocked off if they get hit, but no one knows if this delays you from recovering again. (Dojo site, numerous videos)

Down B: Banana Peel, he simply tosses one back. (Seen in Video 6 twice.)
---
Throws
---
Forward throw:

Back Throw:

Up Throw: Grabs them, throws them up and kicks them upwards. (Video 2)

Down Throw:
---
Other
---
Good aerials, good combo ability, light, fast, decent aerial priority and movement.
---
Sources
DarkGea said:
Diddy's dash attack is his cartwheel. and to be really honest I wasn't even using his B moves. We were actually playing matches and I was using his aerial moves which are pretty **** good. His fair is like Mario's in SSB and his dtilt is a MUCH quicker version of DK's. His downsmash is pretty **** powerful as well. He had the best horizontal movement in the air it felt to me, but I may be wrong.

No idea on the peanuts, you gotta realize all of the matches were way hectic because of how they were played.

Diddy's moves are kind of strange.

You have a fox esque uair in the trajectory and hitstun, but it doesn't send them as far. His fair (or was it his bair?) is like Mario's fair from SSB 64 and has nice range, speed, and proirity. His dair is a quicker form of DK's and actually is decently strong for a meteor in this game. *thinks hard* I don't remember the rest.

Basically I was wall of paining with the fair (or was it bair? my brain is fried from SO much info at once) and it was very effective and strong. His downsmash was decently strong and I felt safe jumping out to ledgeguard people.
---
Videos
---
Video 1: (Yoshi's Island) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL-I-pAGjLw
Video 2: (Halberd) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWveOhgXDzo
Video 3: (Castle Siege) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evajWSPy7SA,
Video 4: (Smashville) http://youtube.com/watch?v=brFvqPbE6SI
Video 5: (Final Smash) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLwVd7QESSc
Video 6: (Subspace Emissary) http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26643.html
Video 7: (Pokemon Stadium) http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26667.html

(Video's 2 and 3 can be seen on IGN.)

lalaKilo

Smash Rookie
Woo DIDDY KONG!!!!

Ok ok sweet well heres some stuff about the best character in the demo............... ... ..

Down Tilt- Does the DK down tilt from melee basically just shorter range and faster

Forward B- Leaps forward and if it hits, Diddy latches onto their face/shoulders and you can push B or A to hit them once then leap up and off of them... You can also cancel the intial leap forward with both B or A in which case he does his neutral air sex kick(its pretty weak in the knockback but may be good for comboing later on...) No idea if you can cancel it into other attacks will have to test it out.

Up B- Has an ok knockback if you hit someone with it... and is pretty good for recovery.

B- Seems at the moment to be better to shoot it fast than waste time charging it (extra knockback from the charge seemed very insignificant from the times I tried it)

Down B- It was fun laying down banana peels (2 at a time Max) They had good priority and you can pick em back up off the ground.

I'll put more as I remember

ooh I'll try to see if his >B can be used on people in the air a la grabbing people in the air and then bouncing off them before you die as well...

*edit* grammars

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Woo DIDDY KONG!!!!

Ok ok sweet well heres some stuff about the best character in the demo............... ... ..

Down Tilt- Does the DK down tilt from melee basically just shorter range and faster

Forward B- Leaps forward and if hits Diddy latches onto their face/shoulders and you can push B or A to hit them once then leap up and off of them... You can also cancel the intial leap forward with both B or A in which case he does his neutral air sex kick(its pretty weak in the knockback but may be good for comboing later on...) No idea if you can cancel it into other attacks will have to test it out.

Up B- Has an ok knockback if you hit someone with it... and is pretty good for recovery.

B- Seems at the moment to be better to shoot it fast then waste time charging it (extra knockback from the charge seemed very insignificant from the times I tried it)

Down B- It was fun laying down banana peels (2 at a time Max) They had good priority and you can pick em back up off the ground.

I'll put more as I remember

ooh I'll try to see if his >B can be used on people in the air a la grabbing people in the air and then bouncing off them before you die as well...
Thanks much for the info. We've been dying for stuff like this. xD

Where in video 7 does he breakdance?
About 1:46 - 1:49, left handd side of the arena.

RocketDarkness

Smash Cadet
I'd just like to add that his Rocketbarrel boost may have spiking capabilities. I only saw this out of the corner of my eye, but it looked like Diddy fired his barrels while directly above someone else, and while he launched upwards, the unfortunate soul below him was shot down to a flaming demise. It's possible this may not be what happened, but it sure would make sense.

It's notable because it would be the first spike(other than the toadstool jump) that actively launches you upwards while sending opponents downwards. It seems to have little risk in attempting, in that regard.

lalaKilo

Smash Rookie
Yah no problem!

Anything specific you want to me to test out?

I'm going to go through all the grabs tomorrow and possibly jot down some percentages if I have time (though they are subject to change so it'll be last on my list)

I'll try to spike with the Up B too that sounds sweeeet.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
One thing I'd like to know for sure is...

IF his barrels get knocked off, can you up B again right away? Or do you gotta wait for them to vanish? Also, what causes the nuts to break open? If it's as simple as attacking them then that's lame.

I'm sure a lot of people, if you were to jot stuff down, would be more interested in the general power, and knockback of the moves. Like, does his up air hit hard like foxes or is it good for juggling? Does his Neutral air his up or to the side? Just general stuff like that would be awesome.

I've heard he has good aerial priority and movement, so he seems like an awesome character. I honestly wish people would play him more in these demos for more footage for us who aren't fortunate enough to go to E4A.

Once again, i've just gotta say thanks for getting some information on him. It's almost as if everyone but him (And pika / Yoshi. <___<) have been explored thoroughly.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
New info... courtesy of N1c2k3. http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3101152&postcount=975

N1c2k3 said:
Finally, Diddy Kong!! Omfg, I hate to sound like an ***, but I'm going to have to finish this section tomorrow. I know all you Diddy users wanted to read this post just for this, but it's already 5 am here, and I have to wake up and 7:30 to do physical labor to be able and make it in time to the convo again tomorrow. For right now I'll just leave you with a few short comments, but I promise to give a full account of everything I can possibly think of later:

Pros
He's quick, falls fast, and is extremely maneuverable, which I think will be a big determining factor in this game.
All his tilts and smashes are solid. They're pretty much standard attacks, flailing the appropriate body part in each direction.

Moves
Neutral B = His repeating standing neutral is pretty good. I think he punches, kicks, then if you press A repeatedly he swipes his tail in a somewhat circular motion in front of him, really quickly and with decent range.
Fsmash = 3 punch combo, with the last punch serving pretty decent knock back (looks really kool)
Dsmash = Break dance - Standard leg swings
Usmash = Standing cartwheel motion, hitting with every limb.

His throws are some of the best in the game, IMO. They have serious knock back, at even 0%, which is huge given the overall reduced knock back of almost everything (most char's throws at 0 barely move them at all). I found myself reverting to throws more than anything else.

His specials are really fun. Only 2 are really useful, though..
Neutral B/Pop Gun = Knock back isn't bad when it's 3/4 to fully charged. Anything behind that and it doesn't go anywhere, and the lag is bad enough for them to probably be able to counter you before you recover, which is pretty hefty. I did use it as an edgegaurd a few times, but it probably could've been replaced by an aerial to be more effective.

DownB/Banana = Also not great. Diddy throws them up and over his head, landing a little ways behind him. You can only have two out at a time. If you're opening steps on one, they slip around pretty much in place and are uncontrollable for about 3/4 of a sec, which isn't bad. Only downside is your opponent can pick them up or grab them out of the air while they're being thrown, and throw them back at you. I believe whoever is currently "in control" of them is immune, meaning only your opponent can slip on them, but I'm not positive. Overall I'd say his weakest special by far. I do a sweet kill against MikeHaze with them, though. It went to sudden death, so I immediately turned around and Naner'd, guessing he would rush towards me. He did, got hit by the naner, and I was able to run across the stage and grab him before he was able to tech/recover, threw, and won. It was sweet. As of right now, I'd say only useful for being fancy, but that will probably change.

OverB = My fav move in the game so far. Like Champ said, you leap forward, not too far, about 3 of his body lengths distance. If you press attack again before you land/reach an opponent, Diddy sticks out his leg for a sex kick, more or less, which I haven't found to be really useful at all yet, as its knock back is horrid. If you don't press anything, you automatically jump and latch onto your opponent's face (can't be blocked). From there I believe the only thing you can do is press the attack button, twice. Diddy will "hump", as Champ so eloquently put it, his/her grill twice, then kick off springboard-style automatically (no throw input required as was 1st thought), sending your opponent backwards and slightly downwards, but I believe that be influenced by DI. Can be used to recover, acting like Fox/Falco's overB, but not nearly as far. You're also immobile afterwards if used in the air till you hit the ground. One of my 1st matches I was playing against MikeHaze. He knocked me off the edge and went off to edgegaurd me as I was recovering. I overB'd, caught him in midair, ***** his face as I was falling, then kick off at the last second, spiking him and then using my upB to make it back. Basically similar to Kirby's swallow kill, but a lot kooler and funnier looking. It caused quite an uproar. As I'm pretty sure I was the 1st player to achieve this, I'm going to attempt to name this technique "The Molester", taken after the obvious way Diddy seems to **** the opponent’s face. If this catches on fine, if not, idc. Might as well try though, right?

UpB = This move *****! Basically in league for the best recovery move in the game, if not the best. If you just tap B Diddy barely rises up and you can't control his direction. However, if you hold down B for as longas possible, it turns into the HIGHEST upB in the game. Yes, I was surprised too. You can easily go from all the way to the bottom of Battlefield to well over the point where you would die if you were hit. And you can control it if it's charged anywhere beyond the initial phase; the longer it's charged, the farther it will go, the more control you have. Lastly, it's auto-grab move, so it you'll grab the ledge if you go near it anytime during the animation. I actually just discovered this myself yesterday, even though some1 had mentioned it the day before. I look forward to seeing it's potential tomorrow...

T0MMY

Smash Master
I switched over to playing Diddy Kong, because I wanted to play a newcomer instead of sticking with Pikachu, who hasn't changed too much in Melee.
I can answer any questions, if I remember or saw anything while playing.
Just so you know, his taunts:
He takes off his hat and flips it
He hops on one foot to the other clapping his hands, classic chimp style
And I don't really remember his last taunt, I guess I'd rather see someone confirm this than go off memory.

Down Tilt:
I believe this to be kind of like Donkey Kong's d-tilt, a quick slap outwards while crouching.

Forward B:
He leaps onto the opponent, treated like a Grab. Then you press the Attack button to pummel, then press in a direction to throw them. You can bounce off their head by pressing down, which is good to spike them downward if you've grabbed them off the edge in a Diddycide, this is like Bowser's Forward+B

Up B: Rocketbarrel Boost
You can also angle this, Left or Right, while charging.

Forward throw:
Flings them forward, I think with both hands.

Back Throw:
I can't remember, but I think he rolls back and throws them kind of like Pichu/Pikachu.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I believe I've also seen Diddy's Up Smash, which looks to be a quite powerful move aswell and it's a 3 hit combo. And I SO wanna pummel faces with Diddy! =) That's one hardcore move Sakurai just made up there. I SO wanna pummel in Snake and especially Sonic's faces now. ^^

lalaKilo

Smash Rookie
GOOOOO DIDDY KONG YAH
Ok soo here goes...

Forward B- You can still jump and Up-B or attack etc after the Forward B but you can't Forward B again it seems until you touch ground

Up B- I got hit multiple times while doing it and EVERYTIME I couldn't Up B again as the rocket barrels flittered toward the ground ... : /
HOWEVER if you hit them with the flames coming out the bottom it knocks the
enemy away in a less than 45 degree angle! woooo spike!

Forward Tilt- Was actually able to KILL with it so it seems more powerful then most
and has less lag than Forward Smash (He double fists them woo)

Grabs- Hitting A humps the crap outta their leg for a few percent each

Standing grab= less lag than running grab....(Running grab = DK running grab
animation but faster)

Up throw- throws them a bit up

Down Throw-Smacks them into the ground bouncing them up into the air

Forward Throw- Chucks them(DK Style) forward and Up, has good distance at lower
percents but doesn't kill too easily at higher because of the trajectory...

Back Throw- His best for killing... chucks them straight back at a really low
trajectory

It was fun Forward B'ing people and having them fall to their demise :D
OH and it ALWAYS cancels to a Mario esque Sex kick if you hit a or b during it
(decent knockback not great like five or less diddy's away?)

Neutral Air- He does a cartwheel that hits throughout its animation and has mediocre
knockback from what I could tell

Back Air- the Jigglypuff Kick killed with it a few times Wall of Pain style...

Up Air- Slightly Weaker version of Fox's Up air in brawl but can still kill if you hit them
after a full jump at around 120+% (Not toooooo bad for this game) basically
down throw to an Up air

Overall he's really good at comboing especially if you are tricky with his bananapeel etc and his dash dancing is pretty darn fast (not as good as Sonic's but whatever)

Edit:

Just remembered about Diddy's Peanut Pop Gun!

I saw it side-kill a Bowser in Sudden death on the Bridge of Eldin from about halfway in...(was decently/fully charged since at no charge it has low low knockback)

Also I was messing around with the charge lengths and at about halfway it lightly hit a slanted platform and a Peanut was left there... Not the edible kind tho it was a peanut item that you could pick up and throw. I hit the Sonic with it and it had some knockback but no edible-peanutty goodness was left over.

It also seems to be fully charged as soon as his gun starts shaking so you get a few seconds(like less than 2) with it fully charged before it blows up in your face.

EDIT AGAIN!:
Peanut pop gun does NOT seem to be land-canceled(like Falco/Fox's from Melee)

Taunt-1) Clappy thing as said above
2) He wiggles his fingers at them magic fingers style
3) Can't remember something not too memorable like monkeyish...

Losing Animation: SCREW CLAPPING! Diddy scratches his head and looks to the ground!

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Ok, if the Fair is like marios double kick, the bair is like jigglypuff, the dair is like donkey kong, the nair is like a cartwheel, the uair is fox's, and the canceled F-B in the air is like a sex kick, then what on earth is he going here?

Oh, one more thing, does anyone know if you can link a canceled Forward b in the air to his Up B? If so, Diddy seems to have great recovery.

lalaKilo

Smash Rookie
Not from what I could tell, I tried it a few times and he just goes through the same animation.... tho it did seem that if you continue shooting fast, the lag is less between shots than when you stop shooting and put away the gun...

lalaKilo

Smash Rookie
OH his Forward B does NOT leave him vulnerable you can still jump and Up-B out of it! ooh forgot to put that...

To cancel his Side B you just push B or A while flying towards them

**WRONG cept the Curry part**That picture seems to be a Yoshi using Spicy Curry on a Diddy as he jumps off him from his Forward B or something to that regard or he hit with his Up-B then got hit? and his rocket barrels are flying off... Definitely seems to have Spicy Curry involved thats the EXACT animation for it (a little fireball is near Diddy on the left as well)

hahah SHPPG would be AWESOME cept I think Diddy jumps too high to be able to falco-it

Still would be super-cool to pop em with a few percent as you latch onto their face..

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Well, the picture is Diddy using spicy curry, and Sakurai was talking how you could combo while using the fire. I was wondering if that was his up air? Or is it more like Fox's where its a more vertical flip.

lalaKilo

Smash Rookie
Oooh yah you're definitely right don't know what I was thinking...Yah could easily be his up-air looks like it probably hit him and Yoshi got caught right back into the curry its like a fireflower on steroids...

One cool curry combo was a curry to chain grab... Just throw em into more curry and regrab over and over

tho curry is pretty OP and I doubt items will be used in tourneys anyways...

edit: OR he Forward B'd Yoshi and yoshi broke free only to get hit more with the Curry

Luigi player

Smash Master
So you can't use Diddys upB another time after someone hit the rocket barrels away? That's really sad ... he would've been so great ...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But to balance it out Diddy's recovery seems to be really good, from what I've heard Diddy's got the best recovery in the game up till now. And most characters can't come back either when edgeguarded so it's not that big of a deal. And perhaps it's also possible for Diddy to recover with his >B attack?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I heard you infact can use it in the air, but it'll be replaced by a sex kick wehn you do they say. So probably it isn't possible. And I doubt the move is even chargeable though I'm not sure, to me the move looks more similair to a sort of attack like Fox's Side B, one that comes out right away instead of being chargeable but I dunno, it could go both I think.

However it's still an awesome move. =) Looks pretty useful aswell from what I've seen from it.

EDIT: And after looking through some videos again I found out that you CAN use Diddy's Side B for recovery! =D Look at it yourself, it's seen in video 2 around 0.52. Diddy = ****.

Luigi player

Smash Master
But Diddy will be edge guarded so easily... it won't help him much if he can charge it, because the other player will just go where you fly and hit you .. you can use it another time if they don't fall of (I saw it in a video), but that's only if you already fall down and don't have the jet pack anymore. so you could just go up very high and fall down and use it another time if your enemy hits you back again, but that won't help you much. I really hate that... that "best" recovery really sucks if you can only use it once.

I guess I'll have to go with Sonic because he can at least use his upB more than once (if he got hit), or at least I think he can.

It makes me really sad what they did to Diddy... it prevents me from using him... but I love Diddy... why must his recovery suck so much ): his >B won't help him either, because it probably will be very easily edge guarded...

lalaKilo

Smash Rookie
His >B doesn't leave him vulnerable you can jump etc out of it or dodge then jump so its pretty decent for recovery... and it works like captain falcons where you grab them if you hit them with it only you can delay jumping off of them and when you do it knocks em down and not to the side!

You can still use his Up-b if you hit the ground or grab the ledge even if the rocket barrels got knocked off of you. (don't know if that helps you not play Sonic instead) and if they fail at edgeguading you the flames of the barrels SPIKE and also the barrels themselvs do decent damage and knockback

Luigi player

Smash Master
Oh... that dodge out of it and then use the second jump sounds nice, but if you are too far away it won't help you much I guess. It would be awesome if you could use his >B, then jump out of it and use it again.. can you do this? That'd be nice^.^

lalaKilo

Smash Rookie
I don't think so I tried using the >b out of a >b and I couldn't do it however most of the levels are short enough on the sides that one >b without a jump was enough to get back on from way off the stage.

Diddy's jumps go pretty far as well

T0MMY

Smash Master
lol i read diddys side b u can grab people in air hit down u jump off them and they die
Yeah, I posted that just a few posts before yours...
Did you think it was that important people would miss it in the same thread?

EDIT: I just remembered his other taunt. I don't know why I forgot it, it was one of the best taunts in the game! He does a Kung Fu style stance, hands up in chopping motion, I think on one leg. A chimpanzee impression of Bruce Lee.

ripa9

Smash Apprentice
Hes 2 taunts should be:
1. He plays guitar
2. He throws hes cap in the air like in DK Country

And hes voice should be just like in DK 64.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
His other taunt, which no1 mentioned I think, and my personal favorite, is a throwback to his classic victory pose in DKC. He tosses his hat up in the air, it spins a couple time, catches is and puts it back on his head. The only thing he doesn't do, to my dismay, is the tauntalatious wavering of the eyelid/brow back and forth thing, which sux 'cause that's the funniest part. Anyways, it's still the best taunt...

Kent: Sorry I didn't respond to your pm's. How were my descriptions not clear exactly? When I said "all" it meant his vest and hat were the same color. I'm beginning to not remember as clearly now, but I believe he had an all blue w/white Stars/Nintendo logo, the all pink Dixie one w/the artist cap and no stars/ponytail or logo, an all purple one w/yellow stars/logo, an all dark green one w/yellow stars/logo, and the lime green vest w/white stars and white cap w/red logo. Pretty sure that's it...

Top Bottom