• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Matchups?

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
I'm wondering what I should do against 2 specific characters. Yesterday, I got 13th in a 49 man tournament in Spokane, Washington with only Diddy. But, I got so close to beating this man's Luigi, and then he spiked me. What am I supposed to focus on during the luigi / diddy matchup? Also, after that he 3 stocked me with DK because I have no idea what I'm supposed to do in that matchup either. Help please! c:

EDIT: Same dude wrecked me yesterday as Dedede, what the hell do I do against that fat penguin? He seemed so quick and powerful

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Camp. Repeatedly hit luigi away until you get him off stage and bair every side b, dair/banana z drop every down b. Break up his wd movement with good projectile uses and control neutral preemptively. Don't get hit, but if you do make sure you di away. Don't over extend juggles because you'll just get naired. Throw for positioning and make the most of every time you have him trying to fight his way in. Never let him recover. Diddy wins.

DK is similar but instead of out right camping him you get to blow him up with crazy punishes. Let him whiff something trying to get in on your projectiles, because you have a better horizontal control. Grab or trip>grab then do like 80+% at the least in the easy combo, then don't let him recover. If he ever up bs horizontal to the ledge dair him. Otherwise just keep following his high up bs and hit him out of the special fall (or just hit it out right) and repeat till he dies. Abuse how bad dk's item throws and spot dodges are, and punish him for trying to run away while charging punch by pestering him with projectiles and taking center stage. If you get grabbed you die, don't get grabbed. His nair is safe on shield but whatever he does afterwards isnt, punish secondary actions.

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Camp. Repeatedly hit luigi away until you get him off stage and bair every side b, dair/banana z drop every down b. Break up his wd movement with good projectile uses and control neutral preemptively. Don't get hit, but if you do make sure you di away. Don't over extend juggles because you'll just get naired. Throw for positioning and make the most of every time you have him trying to fight his way in. Never let him recover. Diddy wins.

DK is similar but instead of out right camping him you get to blow him up with crazy punishes. Let him whiff something trying to get in on your projectiles, because you have a better horizontal control. Grab or trip>grab then do like 80+% at the least in the easy combo, then don't let him recover. If he ever up bs horizontal to the ledge dair him. Otherwise just keep following his high up bs and hit him out of the special fall (or just hit it out right) and repeat till he dies. Abuse how bad dk's item throws and spot dodges are, and punish him for trying to run away while charging punch by pestering him with projectiles and taking center stage. If you get grabbed you die, don't get grabbed. His nair is safe on shield but whatever he does afterwards isnt, punish secondary actions.
Thanks! Yeah I got grabbed by DK and was out 3 stocks. Later I killed him 2 times i think and tried camping.

didds

Smash Lord
Just careful camping dk, alternating between passivity and aggression is extra important because of his punish off of grab. Get too flowcharty with your camping and I guarantee he'll find his grab

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Know how far Dk's dash attack goes, since it goes through banana.

Dash in nair is his only low risk approach, so either wavedash forward shield him on read, hit him with peanut before nair comes out, or stuffing it with your own nair works pretty well. Otherwise your better off holding down and using down tilt to grab since he is more than likely going to jab jab grab after hitting your shield .

Honestly don't know which is better, had success and failure controlling horizontal, but also played like a lamer ripple with holding banana in the air with two stall guns an adjustable on the fly agt and better priority nair. Make sure your sdi is on point is all I can say, his up air chain isn't real into death, just a lot of percent.

Top Bottom