• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong help

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
I won my local gamestop tournament, and to practice for districts, I've been playing online against a sonic main (he's using diddy because the GS tourney only uses starters) and his diddy kong keeps tearing me apart. Part of it is lag, but then again, he has lag too. We've been practicing using the wiimote+nunchuk as per tournament rules, and i can't seem to get certain moves off quick enough.

When I resort to trying to attack mainly on the ground, his banana peels stop me and I usually slip on one multiple times and get punished for it, but then my aerials get blocked and i get grabbed. Does anyone have tips for beating a good diddy kong? I wont have to face him until regionals (counting my chickens, I know) but still

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Don't run over bananas, attack from the air and space it right so it doesn't get shield grabbed if he does block. You can also cross over him with dair to avoid the shield grab. Seriously though, bananas are obvious, just avoid them.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
if he uses bananas a lot, just evade them until its safe for you to pick it up, then use them against them. diddy gets like 5x better with bananas, so using them against him makes him a lot less useful. after that, just use your disjiointed hitbox and multiple jumps to keep a spacing advantage. avoid the edges until you get diddy into high percentages.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I'd say avoid him from above and below. Diddy's dairs and uairs (I'm not 100% sure on his dair) are superior, imo, to Meta's. Short hop (Meta's is excellent and easy to do) fair and nairs. Grab and at low percentages, it's fairly easy to chain throw some people with his dthrow. Even if you can't, you can punish it sometimes.

Other than that, I can only think of personal style. I tornado and drill (up-b and foward-b) alot because otherwise Diddy stomps me (literally).

Oh, I'd say to also avoid his fsmash as much as possible. It hurts, especially with a lighty like Meta.

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
thank you all for your help. I need to use my forward and neutral b's more and make him come to me.

To those of you who said space with the banana's, he throws them in just the right spot so that i have to land right on front of him because if i land at the full ext of my sword, thats where the banana is. Then he stands by the edge and waits for me to make a move

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Considering that Diddy is my other main besides MK, I can see how you might be having problems. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my group who plays either, so I don't get a lot of opportunity to see how they counter.

I'd say your best bet is probably edge-guarding. Diddy has ridiculous good recovery, but Meta Knight's is just as good and much better for chasing off the edge. Other than that, I agree with the previous statements about using Diddy's bananas against him.
I don't know for sure, but if Tornado and Drill Rush can go through bananas, they might be your best bet for advancing.

ThaCarter

Smash Rookie
Work on avoiding those bananas. Thats the top thing you should be expecting. Pick them up any time you can and use them to your advantage.

Don't let him recover.Meta Knight has to be the best edge guarder in the game.When he's recovering,just nair or fair like someone before me said.IF the nair's hitbox gets them at a decent percentage then their pretty much dead.

Top Bottom