• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did that kid ever eat his hat?

SenselessB

Smash Rookie
I remember when the 35 character rumor was big some kid posted a topic saying if ROB was playable in the game he'd eat his hat and post a video. Well since he is playable did the kid actually eat his hat? I searched for the topic but couldn't find it.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
A figure of speech, sometimes termed a rhetoric, or locution, is a word or phrase that departs from straightforward, literal language.

-Wikipedia

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I heard he ate his socks.

JK. No one ever really keeps their word when they are wrong about something, and most of the time when they are wrong they go away or avoid the subject... like luke_groundwalker.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
After Ness was confirmed, we didn't see you around for a while.
I wasn't around before that either, so apparently you're mind is fooling you.

I got bored of this forum weeks before Ness was confirmed, and you'd probably only see me post everytime something on the DOJO was confirmed though. Plus I was having internet problems especially during the time when Ness, Lucario, and Jigglypuff was confirmed.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Did you believe Ness was coming back?
Yes I did, you can check the Ness support threads for proof.
I wasn't around before that either, so apparently you're mind is fooling you.

I got bored of this forum weeks before Ness was confirmed, and you'd probably only see me post everytime something on the DOJO was confirmed though. Plus I was having internet problems especially during the time when Ness, Lucario, and Jigglypuff was confirmed.
Ironic.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Yes I did, you can check the Ness support threads for proof.
Because we all know there's was good reasons to support Ness' return, right?

Right?

Either way, Ness still doesn't deserve to be in Brawl. It's cool to see him and Lucas together from a Mother fan's standpoint but it was really a waste of space.

What can you say, though? Sakurai is human, he makes mistakes, and like with the transition between Melee and Brawl where he took out Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu who were mistakes in Melee, he'll do the same with a future Smash game as he learns his mistakes in Brawl.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion

Right?

Either way, Ness still doesn't deserve to be in Brawl. It's cool to see him and Lucas together from a Mother fan's standpoint but it was really a waste of space.
Ness' chances were never affected by anything despite what some believed... and how is Ness a waste of Space when he came before Lucas... and even if Lucas did come first they have 2 completely different play styles.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ness' chances were never affected by anything despite what some believed... and how is Ness a waste of Space when he came before Lucas... and even if Lucas did come first they have 2 completely different play styles.
Well, it's debatable to say Ness is now a waste of space. In Melee, Ness stayed because MOTHER3 wasn't out yet and Lucas was intended to replace him. Personally, I see him back as pure fanservice. I'd personally choose Kumatora over Ness because of the similarities in Ness and Lucas' fighting styles and that they share all but one special move. Although, I'd pick Claus if the spot was for an original fighter.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Ness' chances were never affected by anything despite what some believed...
Yes they were, as Sakurai blatantly lied when you clearly said Ness wasn't in the game.

Sakurai loves to play mindgames, though, so it's really nothing new. He's a prankster and fooled even the greatest of people who know how to properly speak English. It's just a fact of life everyone is gonna have to accept and expect from Sakurai.
and how is Ness a waste of Space when he came before Lucas... and even if Lucas did come first they have 2 completely different play styles.
Okay, do you think Ninten should be in the game too?

blayde_axel

Smash Master

Right?

What can you say, though? Sakurai is human, he makes mistakes, and like with the transition between Melee and Brawl where he took out Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu who were mistakes in Melee, he'll do the same with a future Smash game as he learns his mistakes in Brawl.
Just like Toon Link doesn't deserve to-- oh, you know where this is going anyway. lol.

By the way, can't say someone deserves to be in Brawl... because you aren't making the game. Apparently, the developers thought he deserved to be in, so he is.

And Sakurai's "mistakes" are only subjective to whoever's calling them mistakes.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just like Toon Link doesn't deserve to-- oh, you know where this is going anyway. lol.

By the way, can't say someone deserves to be in Brawl... because you aren't making the game. Apparently, the developers thought he deserved to be in, so he is.

And Sakurai's "mistakes" are only subjective to whoever's calling them mistakes.
With Toon Link, it actually kind of makes sense. Both Link and Toon Link represent the two series that the Zelda series is made up of so it makes sense.

Before someone counters this with Ness and Lucas, they each have one game in one series. Technically, Zelda is made up of two.

The only "mistake" most people tend to agree on is Dr. Mario in Melee. The guy was added because Sakurai liked his music which is the dumbest reason to include a clone character. Had we had a character that was put in for music; was not a wardrobe change; and was an original fighter, I don't think most would mind.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Toon Link deserves it a lot more than Ness. He's a different concept from the regular Link and is actually a great character from one of the best Zelda games in the series.

Not so much with Ness. Out of all the Mother main characters, he's the worst. Mother 1 and Mother 3 were both better games than Mother 2 in any way possible.
That makes no sense whatsover.

There's tons of deserving characters in Nintendo history that didn't make it, and there's also a few undeserving characters in just about every game (Smash 64 had Jigglypuff [who I would completely support taking out if there's a suitable replacement, but I don't think there ever will be], Melee had Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu, and Brawl has Ness, Sonic, and Lucario). Mistakes are mistakes, though, and undeserving characters are mostly understandable on a business standpoint as they're put in for one thing: To take your money.
My words are never subjective.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
With Toon Link, it actually kind of makes sense. Both Link and Toon Link represent the two series that the Zelda series is made up of so it makes sense.

Before someone counters this with Ness and Lucas, they each have one game in one series. Technically, Zelda is made up of two.

The only "mistake" most people tend to agree on is Dr. Mario in Melee. The guy was added because Sakurai liked his music which is the dumbest reason to include a clone character. Had we had a character that was put in for music; was not a wardrobe change; and was an original fighter, I don't think most would mind.
Hmm... so you're saying Zelda's made up of a cartoony version and a more serious version? Hmm... I could get that.

And, yeah, Dr. Mario shouldn't have been in, IMO. It was odd, though. Peach had an alternate costume, but Mario couldn't have one, too? lol.

maxieman

Smash Ace
Anyone remember the way Regal Buster stated in every thread on the subject that the roster would be over 40 characters? hehehehehe

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Well, it's debatable to say Ness is now a waste of space. In Melee, Ness stayed because MOTHER3 wasn't out yet and Lucas was intended to replace him. Personally, I see him back as pure fanservice. I'd personally choose Kumatora over Ness because of the similarities in Ness and Lucas' fighting styles and that they share all but one special move. Although, I'd pick Claus if the spot was for an original fighter.
You should go watch some Lucas and Ness vids, they don't play alike at all. I think you are just ignoring the facts because Kumatora and Claus didn't get in (atleast they got stickers I think). Ness is already an Original Fighter (wtf?) If you want to remove someone remove Toon Link.

Yes they were, as Sakurai blatantly lied when you clearly said Ness wasn't in the game.

Sakurai loves to play mindgames, though, so it's really nothing new. He's a prankster and fooled even the greatest of people who know how to properly speak English. It's just a fact of life everyone is gonna have to accept and expect from Sakurai.

Okay, do you think Ninten should be in the game too?
Sakurai didn't play mind games, narrow minded people jumped to the conclusion that little things like "up until now" (a poor translation) and Lucas' moves where Sakurai specifically stated they had differences.. were enough to warrant his removal.

False.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Sakurai didn't play mind games, narrow minded people jumped to the conclusion that little things like "up until now" (a poor translation) and Lucas' moves where Sakurai specifically stated they had differences.. were enough to warrant his removal.
There's so much wrong with this post. It just deserves a facepalm but that's getting to be an old meme so just forget it.

For one, Sakurai did indeed play mindgames all the **** time. Hell, it started with the confirmation of Lucas where his statement about Ness could really go either way and no one is sure about it. And then when the Lucas update came, in pure English and clearly said that "Up until now, Ness was in Smash" which means that Ness was in the whole series so far but now he isn't. Maybe it was a grammatical mistake? Most likely, I could see it like that and it's completely understandable. But that's what it means according to the natural laws of language structure in the English language.

And another, it wasn't ****ing poorly translated. Samuraipanda clearly said it wasn't poorly translated. The DOJO is never poorly translated.
"Not so much with Ness. Out of all the Mother main characters, he's the worst. Mother 1 and Mother 3 were both better games than Mother 2 in any way possible."

Explain how this is FACT and not OPINION.

Go on.
Have you even played all of the Mother games?

For one, Mother 2 hardly improves from Mother 1. The only thing it adds is better graphics, a new HP system, and a bit more quirky adventures. That's it, it doesn't even warrant as a very good sequel ala A Link to the Past and Super Metroid. It even takes away one of the things that made Mother 1 great: It's story. In Mother 1, there was an actual backstory with Ninten relating him to Gigyas, and the final battle was almost trembling as the party sung a familiar melody to Gigyas and bringing up memories he hates to remember. Mother 1 basically still has all the quirk Mother 2 has, although Mother 2 has a bit more but I really don't think that makes it such a great game.

In Mother 2, there's hardly any story at all. Ness is just a backstoryless and personalityless character overall (although all the Mother main characters are, you at least get hints about it in their backstories and whatnot), and compared to his past counterpart Ninten he falls short in so many ways.

So no, Mother 1 > Mother 2 is in no way an opinion. It's a fact that Earthbound fanboys who think Mother 2 is the best one in the series is gonna have to face.

Shuma

Smash Hero
"sultanofsurreal"

Don't forget the name, we must find him and make him eat that hat.

Edit:

Also Groundwalker is right, no one expected Ness to return, Sakurai mindgamed us, it was not poorly translated, it clearly said ness was gone. THE END.

Top Bottom