• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DI and returning help.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
As some of you may know I have terrible DI. Its my biggest weakness. I try to DI away and all but I guess its no good. Is there some certain spot that Im suppose to go into? And returning on to the stage is another problem from the skies. also when Im on the edge. so can you help me out here. whcih ever vids you saw of Peach Vs Roy I want to know What I could have done and the time on the video of the problem. Guess im not too much of a bright one if I get comboed like this and cant return safe to the stage by a roy huh? well thanks in advance for those that could help.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2EDE5A72AFE61E5F.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
What I've figured out is that when it's comes to Peaches DI it's a little hard. I've played to many matches with my bro to not be able to figure that out, but from my experience all I can say is this. *Ahem*

When It comes to peaches edge game you want to confuse your opponent. Try to do something to make him attack so it's easier to get back on the board.

Another thing you want to do is to try and draw your opponent closer to the edge. With that you can edge jump and use the umbrella to stun him.

When it come to Marth and Roy and their freakishly long sword you want to know the exact distance of the sword. When coming back to the board DI carefully. Move forward (Slightly) then come back. This should force the Marth/Roy player to attack or try to Smash. If that doesn't happen continue to move in and out. Be sure to remember that Peaches float on lasts 3 secs. When continuing moving in and out this will confuse the player. He will not know whether or not your coming in for an attack. Time this carefully .
You might want to Fair when coming in. This should knock him back. Also pay attention ahead of time, and notice if the player move closer to there edge. If so Fast fall and umbrella. You should be able to hit him and reach on the board no problem.

Next way of easily getting on to the board is, again confuse the opponent then dodge coming onto the board. Your opponent should attack and leave him/herself open for attack.

Well that's all the info I have to share at the moment if I can think of anything else to help I'll come back and update my post. Good luck. I hope you find this information useful.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
DI:

Away from lateral combos

Up to survive in air and sometimes ground

Down to survive on the ground.

When you attack, any directional input is ignored minus in the air when you press left or right, so whenever I attack, i'm always holding either up or down ALWAYS. Get used to holding those directions in the middle of everything as you approach. Always assume the risk of a hit. If you always hold down on the ground, you'll crouch cancel and stay on the stage probably until 100%, and then DI'ing up helps you survive and giving you the mobility and options of being off and high rather than off and low that comes with CCing. Always be holding a direction, you dont need fast reaction times for good DI, unless you're smash DI'ing certain attacks (which you should, like the shine, or when Sheik d throws you, DI away, and then smash DI up the slap). If a combo is started, you should know whats coming next and generally you DI away, such as falcon's or mario's uair combos.

Returning

For getting back vs marth and roy... there are 3 options really, and you should mix up the 3.

1) If you can, recover way way high so that as you enter stage space they cant jump and hit you, its no use going high and entering the stage space if they can still hit you. From there you can drift about and choose an appropriate time to FF when you think the opponent wont be able to react to your landing in time.

2) Go in from below and Up sweet spot, with an emphasis on the sweet spot. With a sweet spot, forward smashing becomes very difficult, and also, if the marth or roy has anything but perfect spacing, the umbrella will most likely hit (it has a surprising horizontal range if you ride the wall) and so now you have the ledge. More on the ledge later

3) Up B, and just go just barely in front of them to grab the ledge. a crude diagram:

if you Fast Fall and open the umbrella right before grabbing:

Y...P..|......./
O...A..\.....|...SWORD RANGE
U...T....\....\
R...H......*-,.*-
................¯¯¯LEDGE

OR... you can just slowly float back. This is an excellent feint as the opponent will most likely wait for the FF

Y...P.|...../
O...A.|...|...SWORD RANGE
U...T.|....\
R...H.*-,_.*-
.............¯¯¯LEDGE

And there you are.

From the Ledge

If you're above 100%, more often than not, ledge attack. Its weird speed and ******** range make it far better than the below 100% ledge attack. Try to never use the below 100% ledge attack. Other than that, a switch up between rolling, standing, and jumping (dont underestimate jumping, its hard expected from Peach and leads into an... aerial assault >_>). You can switch up and actually try ledge hopping nair every so often, which I have met with some success. another nice reentry is ledge hop wavedash d smash, which I have also been able to use effectively. (Note that the timing has to be pretty tight, you can wavedash pretty early after the DJ from the ledge, so do it ASAP) Another cute trick just to get your opponent to reevaluate his options while you try to get back is Peach's pseudo ledge stall. If you press back and immediately air dodge up, you'll air dodge straight up and just grab the ledge again. Now, if you fast fall at a certain time frame (a very small one, cause you can still FF through the ledge) You have about a frame or 2 only of vulnerability during this. Most opponents will react instinctively and attack you right after the air dodge, but you wont be vulnerable until right before you grab the ledge, giving you an opprotunity to get back on. I should note that the FF is hardly necessary, as the point isnt to stall with invincibility but to feint your opponent into thinking you're vulnerable at times when you are not. You can also simply change the angle of your air dodge slightly outward or inward. Outward to give yourself more space and once again get your edgeguarder to follow you, or inward just to get back onto the stage.

Remember, vs marth there is no sure fire way of getting back on safely, it really is all about mindgames, and these are all the tricks I know.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
What I've figured out is that when it's comes to Peaches DI it's a little hard. I've played to many matches with my bro to not be able to figure that out, but from my experience all I can say is this. *Ahem*

When It comes to peaches edge game you want to confuse your opponent. Try to do something to make him attack so it's easier to get back on the board.

Another thing you want to do is to try and draw your opponent closer to the edge. With that you can edge jump and use the umbrella to stun him.

When it come to Marth and Roy and their freakishly long sword you want to know the exact distance of the sword. When coming back to the board DI carefully. Move forward (Slightly) then come back. This should force the Marth/Roy player to attack or try to Smash. If that doesn't happen continue to move in and out. Be sure to remember that Peaches float on lasts 3 secs. When continuing moving in and out this will confuse the player. He will not know whether or not your coming in for an attack. Time this carefully .
You might want to Fair when coming in. This should knock him back. Also pay attention ahead of time, and notice if the player move closer to there edge. If so Fast fall and umbrella. You should be able to hit him and reach on the board no problem.

Next way of easily getting on to the board is, again confuse the opponent then dodge coming onto the board. Your opponent should attack and leave him/herself open for attack.

Well that's all the info I have to share at the moment if I can think of anything else to help I'll come back and update my post. Good luck. I hope you find this information useful.
Yes, this is useful. thank you. I'll try to remember.

DI:

Away from lateral combos

Up to survive in air and sometimes ground

Down to survive on the ground.

When you attack, any directional input is ignored minus in the air when you press left or right, so whenever I attack, i'm always holding either up or down ALWAYS. Get used to holding those directions in the middle of everything as you approach. Always assume the risk of a hit. If you always hold down on the ground, you'll crouch cancel and stay on the stage probably until 100%, and then DI'ing up helps you survive and giving you the mobility and options of being off and high rather than off and low that comes with CCing. Always be holding a direction, you dont need fast reaction times for good DI, unless you're smash DI'ing certain attacks (which you should, like the shine, or when Sheik d throws you, DI away, and then smash DI up the slap). If a combo is started, you should know whats coming next and generally you DI away, such as falcon's or mario's uair combos.

Returning

For getting back vs marth and roy... there are 3 options really, and you should mix up the 3.

1) If you can, recover way way high so that as you enter stage space they cant jump and hit you, its no use going high and entering the stage space if they can still hit you. From there you can drift about and choose an appropriate time to FF when you think the opponent wont be able to react to your landing in time.

2) Go in from below and Up sweet spot, with an emphasis on the sweet spot. With a sweet spot, forward smashing becomes very difficult, and also, if the marth or roy has anything but perfect spacing, the umbrella will most likely hit (it has a surprising horizontal range if you ride the wall) and so now you have the ledge. More on the ledge later

3) Up B, and just go just barely in front of them to grab the ledge. a crude diagram:

if you Fast Fall and open the umbrella right before grabbing:

Y...P..|......./
O...A..\.....|...SWORD RANGE
U...T....\....\
R...H......*-,.*-
................¯¯¯LEDGE

OR... you can just slowly float back. This is an excellent feint as the opponent will most likely wait for the FF

Y...P.|...../
O...A.|...|...SWORD RANGE
U...T.|....\
R...H.*-,_.*-
.............¯¯¯LEDGE

And there you are.

From the Ledge

If you're above 100%, more often than not, ledge attack. Its weird speed and ******** range make it far better than the below 100% ledge attack. Try to never use the below 100% ledge attack. Other than that, a switch up between rolling, standing, and jumping (dont underestimate jumping, its hard expected from Peach and leads into an... aerial assault >_>). You can switch up and actually try ledge hopping nair every so often, which I have met with some success. another nice reentry is ledge hop wavedash d smash, which I have also been able to use effectively. (Note that the timing has to be pretty tight, you can wavedash pretty early after the DJ from the ledge, so do it ASAP) Another cute trick just to get your opponent to reevaluate his options while you try to get back is Peach's pseudo ledge stall. If you press back and immediately air dodge up, you'll air dodge straight up and just grab the ledge again. Now, if you fast fall at a certain time frame (a very small one, cause you can still FF through the ledge) You have about a frame or 2 only of vulnerability during this. Most opponents will react instinctively and attack you right after the air dodge, but you wont be vulnerable until right before you grab the ledge, giving you an opprotunity to get back on. I should note that the FF is hardly necessary, as the point isnt to stall with invincibility but to feint your opponent into thinking you're vulnerable at times when you are not. You can also simply change the angle of your air dodge slightly outward or inward. Outward to give yourself more space and once again get your edgeguarder to follow you, or inward just to get back onto the stage.

Remember, vs marth there is no sure fire way of getting back on safely, it really is all about mindgames, and these are all the tricks I know.

What do you Mean By lateral combos?

And I have a few DI questions here.

If a Fox Up Throws me. Where do I DI? in the direction he is looking?

When am I suppose to smash DI his shine and Up-air. I never really tried to smash DI in a match before.

You seen how For got me with the F-B's? Where to I DI on that. Up and slighty away? its kinda hard cause its like that move sucks you in.

XIF

Smash Master
lateral is horizontal.

Try to DI to initial throw of fox, and you can often times tell when they dont jump off the ground fast enough, and in which case at mid percents you can nair out of it. at lower percents just try to DI whichever way is closest to the outside of fox (hard but the only advice I can give, its a combo afterall, sometimes you just cant escape it) and at high percents just DJ away, and then try stalling out with the shine.

And there's only one time to smash DI and thats when you're in the hitstun animation, when you're curled up right before you get sent away. You jam the control stick away from the shine as soon as it hit you and you get sent further. Not a garuntee for escaping further shines but grabs and u smashes become much harder.

And figure out the DI on that move yourself I dont care about Roy =P

XIF

Smash Master
you tap the control stick repeatedly right when you get hit.

imagine getting hit by samus's charge shot.

when you get hit, you stay in place for a second in that agonized position before you fly off.

every attack has that hitstun though. just for a very short amount of time.

if you tap the control stick repeatedly during that time, you travel a small bit in that direction before you get sent away.

generally in real time you can only jam the stick once to get away, but its enough of a boost to get out of combos or to help you survive.

Tako

Smash Cadet
i love peach, i think shesgood as ****, but her di's r horrible

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I brought this Topic up cause I still have some trouble and need more advice if possible. Yesterday my DI on Roy was the worst of them all. 4 N-airs in a row at high damage. I'M, really an idiot with this.

XIF can you explain tyhat chart you made? I dont get it at all

_SSnakeKen

Smash Cadet
if you have excellent reaction time you can SmashDI to the weakest hitbox then follow your normal DI patterns

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
if you have excellent reaction time you can SmashDI to the weakest hitbox then follow your normal DI patterns
I wish I did but sadly I dont. it really sucks. I dont know what goes on in my head when I play. Might be mental or something when it comes to the game about where to move and such

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
you have a nice style ok
so i don't see you use Toad you should cuz Roy wants to smash you he wants to keep on hiting you so use Toad it will stun him and it does about 20% damage so try it

and you didn't use Peach's Bomber you could of used it but you just wanted to win
and you should change you attacks make them random....^_^

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
you have a nice style ok
so i don't see you use Toad you should cuz Roy wants to smash you he wants to keep on hiting you so use Toad it will stun him and it does about 20% damage so try it

and you didn't use Peach's Bomber you could of used it but you just wanted to win
and you should change you attacks make them random....^_^
Im sorry but I am a visual learner so can anybody post a link to a video explaining Peach's DI

Top Bottom