• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DHD Replay critique

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I don't have time for a full analysis of the match atm, but I will note a few things I noticed.

1. CPU sonics play nothing like actual people. I've played top sonics before, and their gameplay revolve around evasive movement, punishing, and mindgames. Something you don't truly get to experience vs a computer.
2. Don't get into the habit of going for a charged smash after a throw. It will not work vs a real person. Instead go more semi-accessible options such as shield grabbing their landing at low percents, f-air at mid percents, and u-air at high percents. You can also attempt to read and punish them jumping away or air dodging as well.
3. Use can as more of a trapping move than a simple projectile. Frisbee is a much faster and effective tool to use if you just wish to hit your opponent from affar. That isn't to say you can't use can for that purpose, but vs sonic it won't work at neutral. Use the can to limit his ground options.

alonecuzzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2422-6131
I don't have time for a full analysis of the match atm, but I will note a few things I noticed.

1. CPU sonics play nothing like actual people. I've played top sonics before, and their gameplay revolve around evasive movement, punishing, and mindgames. Something you don't truly get to experience vs a computer.
2. Don't get into the habit of going for a charged smash after a throw. It will not work vs a real person. Instead go more semi-accessible options such as shield grabbing their landing at low percents, f-air at mid percents, and u-air at high percents. You can also attempt to read and punish them jumping away or air dodging as well.
3. Use can as more of a trapping move than a simple projectile. Frisbee is a much faster and effective tool to use if you just wish to hit your opponent from affar. That isn't to say you can't use can for that purpose, but vs sonic it won't work at neutral. Use the can to limit his ground options.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah that throw to charged smash was becoming habit, thanks for catching that. That being said is there merit to playing the computer at all? I could see if I kept playing the computer for a while that I'd have to unlearn that habit once I started playing humans. I keep getting destroyed online, I think my win rate is like 15% or something like that. Would you advise to just stick at playing humans and eventually the losses will turn to wins?

I find it really hard to time my f-air's and my u-air's. For the longest I didn't even know that DHD had a good u-air. Any advice on learning how to time them better? I guess just repetition.

Yeah I use the can solely as a projectile I'm realizing. Do you have any example setups in terms of trapping? Hard for me to get a sense of it I think.

Just realized that I asked you a million questions, understand if you don't have time to answer.
Thanks again!

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Don't really pay any heed to your online win rate. It's what you do offline that matters. That being said, it is pretty bad to constantly play vs computers because of the habits you can pick up.

To practice landing f-air, go in training mode and set the cpu to jump. Practice only hitting the jumping cpu with the beak of the duck. Practice different timimgs during the jump too.

Will answer your question about can in detail later.

alonecuzzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2422-6131
Don't really pay any heed to your online win rate. It's what you do offline that matters. That being said, it is pretty bad to constantly play vs computers because of the habits you can pick up.

To practice landing f-air, go in training mode and set the cpu to jump. Practice only hitting the jumping cpu with the beak of the duck. Practice different timimgs during the jump too.

Will answer your question about can in detail later.
AH, never thought of doing that with training mode. THX!

Top Bottom