• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DH game slipping after playing Mewtwo

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
Please tell me I'm not the only one. I was almost unbeatable and could get rhythms going before Mewtwo. Now, I can't do anything like I used to and I'm getting wrecked constantly. That's frustrating. Please tell me somebody else is experiencing this.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Before playing AS or AGAINST Mewtwo?

I'm having trouble playing against Mewtwo because I've never fought him before today. I don't have him downloaded because I don't have a DS version to register, so I can't really test things out.

If it's because you're playing as Mewtwo, he requires an entirely different style of play. You gotta think way differently before hitting up DH. If I don't start with him, and play one of my (more autopilot) secondaries, I suck with DH for a bit till I get a groove going. Take a break then try again.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Against :4mewtwo: as :4duckhunt:, having just came off of a FG Teams session as DH against a Mewtwo player, I can definitely tell you that Gunmen will be KEY in warding off Shadow Balls, much like it is against Lucario's Aura Spheres, because Shadow Balls will rip through Clays (if charged up enough) and possibly Cans (untested), though if its anything like Aura Spheres, the Can will take the hit, be sent flying, and damage you and/or your teammates if it reaches you. While Clay can be reflected, also like other reflectors, Clay can simply take its course without it being shot up. Confusion can help Mewtwo stay in the air like Mario's Cape and even recover (he can make like Villager and go under a non-walled Omega from one side to the other), so do plan around it. Thankfully, Mewtwo is lighter than Lucario, and thus can be KO-ed earlier. He also has a harder time piercing through your arsenal than Lucario does, since his Side B doesn't have Lucario's range on it, without resorting to Teleports, which if badly positioned, can mean a free punish, including our more consistent FSmashes. :) You can duck or even crawl under Disable and DTilt or even Down Smash him for it. The dog's aerials can definitely challenge his, especially our FAir and BAir and UAir. However, his grounded moves seem to outrange ours, especially DTilt. Thus, aerial approaches with our self-made cover fire may be advised.

Personally, going from Mewtwo to DH and back doesn't seem to be that hard of a transition to make, though I'd probably attribute that to my 10-ish years of experience in numerous other fighting games, and also memories of Melee!Mewtwo serving me well. XD;

cdc112

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0877-2511-3405
Well the thing I love about duck hunt is the fact, clay disc will stop full charged shadow balls. (I suggest not using gunman to stop because of the end lag/respawn time of them)

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Oh, Clays CAN stop fully charged Shadow Balls? I must've been detonating them before the Shadow Ball actually collided with it. I also saw a Duck Hunt player in FG Teams in a replay in the Wii U version make that kind of mistake as well against Charizard's Flare Blitz... during a Sudden Death, and that DH player got KO-ed for it. That's fantastic to know, because Lucario's default Aura Sphere also loses to non-shot-up Clays as well, and thus, the Mewtwo MU has become easier now. I do agree that spending a Gunman to block off a Shadow Ball is not the best thing to do, since its recovery time when its KO-ed is pretty long (and provides an opening for Mewtwo to get in on him!), but it is decent at being a last resort option (it's the fastest of the 3 projectiles at actually sticking out & thus guarding you. Gunman itself comes out on Frame 3, according the Competitive Sub Forum's Frame Data) when you're coming down from being launched upwards &/or off-stage, your Can's not already in-between you & him, and the Shadow Ball itself is too close for you to reliably get out a Clay in time. I actually sent a replay in the Wii U version in the U.S. FG Teams DH section showcasing that particular scenario under the name "GunmanGuardians". That was within the 1st few days of the recent balance patch, so that particular tech you've mentioned here will not be on display, sadly.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I actually sent a replay in the Wii U version in the U.S. FG Teams DH section showcasing that particular scenario under the name "GunmanGuardians". That was within the 1st few days of the recent balance patch, so that particular tech you've mentioned here will not be on display, sadly.
"Gunman Guardians" is the perfect name. They protect Duck Hunt against a majority of the projectiles in the game

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Gunmen definitely are among the dog's key barriers for guarding against a couple approach moves as well (The Side B moves of :4peach:, :4myfriends:, :4pikachu:, and :4charizard: [make sure you can block or get away from your Gunmen before Flare Blitz actually reaches him], for example). They, along with Cans and Clays, can help cover both the dog's & other teammates' approaches (though not so much Cans when you've got teammates) as well (without friendly fire, Gunmen and Clays are reliable. With friendly fire, [Mega] Gunmen would be preferable), which is definitely one of the key components of an aggressive rushdown style. Said arsenal can also help penetrate some of the most fortified of camps, especially those that can be set up in team battles withOUT friendly fire. Speaking of team battles, the dog's arsenal is fantastic at keeping teammates that are at 100+% around longer, especially when projectiles and approach moves that can either lead to or directly cause KOs are being thrown around. In that department, Gunmen are among the fastest of the 3 that the dog can send out, with Can probably being the slowest of the 3.

The moves that Gunmen canNOT protect us from... are rather scary, especially when we're at 100+%. :4bowserjr:'s Mechakoopas & Cannonballs, :4sonic:'s Spin Dashes, :4robinf:'s Thoron (we can duck, DTilt, and crawl under it! If we're close enough to :4robinm: if Thoron's casted, we get a free DSmash for it!), :4megaman:'s Metal Blade & Leaf Shield, and :4pacman:'s Galaxian Ship/Bell/Key/Hydrant are among such moves. Confronting such moves in a team environment, especially without the right partners, is... unnerving, to say the least. Among said examples, it's :4ludwig:, :4sonic:, and maybe :4pacman: if he gets to Galaxian Ship &/or launches the Hydrant that would actually be threatening to us.

Top Bottom