• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DH Bad Habits

Grimmdark2140

Smash Rookie
What are bad habits to pick up as DH. Like over reliance on projectiles, using a certain move, position on the stage, etc.? Then what to practice doing and what good habits to pick up to counter act these bad habits?

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Make sure to perfect shield explosion from the can, otherwise the explosion from the can could stop any combos and the momentum of them. To practice this, go up to a CPU and throw the can at them, quickly try to shield the explosion. If you're too close, it may not work.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Make sure to perfect shield explosion from the can, otherwise the explosion from the can could stop any combos and the momentum of them. To practice this, go up to a CPU and throw the can at them, quickly try to shield the explosion. If you're too close, it may not work.
I usually end up spending half my time as DHD shielded...

Grimmdark2140

Smash Rookie
Kind of another habit I have with the can. When I successfully edge-guard my foe and my can is on stage, I will knock the can off the stage. It will explode eventually. I like to work with a fresh can in terms of how much time I have before it explodes.

Last edited:

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
For me its moving around to use projectiles down b seems useless on the go, and I get to wrapped in the can somethings I can't protect myself with his tilts. Actually of all the characters I play Duck Hunt's Smashes are hardest to pull off.

Last edited:

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Throwing the can out just to have a can on the field seems like a bad habit I do a lot when I look at my replays. I usually don't think about where I'm placing the can carefully enough, finding it useless about 2 seconds after I've placed it and needing to get rid of it. The sheer fun of kicking that can around makes me always want to have one out on the field, sometimes foregoing a side-b (which would be a better option) for a neutral-b. Losing a lot of opportunities to harass my opponents with that just for a can on the field that won't even control a lot of space.

OnePeg

Smash Rookie
NNID
One-Peg
3DS FC
4682-9026-8782
I'm a very casual player, but so far my worst habits are:
-I throw out the can when I should have already been using it. If I knock an enemy off, I stupidly throw it out then mash B to try to follow up, instead of having on already waiting near the edge. In my defense, I'm terrible at mutlitasking the can's location and my actions as Duck Hunt himself.
-I play WAY too offensively. I go in close and spam my tilts and smashes often, then occasionally throw out a quick can to rack up some final damage and knock myself to safety, which is literally the worst tactic I can think of. I just read Proxi's guide though and I found it extremely helpful--time to practice some more!

Grimmdark2140

Smash Rookie
I'm a very casual player, but so far my worst habits are:
-I throw out the can when I should have already been using it. If I knock an enemy off, I stupidly throw it out then mash B to try to follow up, instead of having on already waiting near the edge. In my defense, I'm terrible at mutlitasking the can's location and my actions as Duck Hunt himself.
-I play WAY too offensively. I go in close and spam my tilts and smashes often, then occasionally throw out a quick can to rack up some final damage and knock myself to safety, which is literally the worst tactic I can think of. I just read Proxi's guide though and I found it extremely helpful--time to practice some more!
Duck Hunt requires a more defensive type of style of play. You can play offensively just not recommended. While DH has solid attacks all over, his projectiles and defensive game is where he shines. I always at the beginning of the match toss out the CAN and pressure my opponent with side b and down b. It is a good habit to pay attention to the can at all time. It's position, which direction it's going to move if I hit neutral b, how much time you have before it explodes, and if I can move it at all. If your opponent has hit it and it doesn't explode, it will count as their projectile. I remember that I was shielding hitting b trying to hit the guy in front of me and the CAN wouldn't move. It's also good to remember that the CAN is movable when shielding, during recovery, and during rolling. A habit(well I have) to have but can backfire so spacing is key to this (well, DH in general) is if on the ledge you can edge hop back and toss out a CAN so you can protect yourself at the ledge. Do also come from below the ledge too.

Last edited:

OnePeg

Smash Rookie
NNID
One-Peg
3DS FC
4682-9026-8782
Duck Hunt requires a more defensive type of style of play. You can play offensively just not recommended. While DH has solid attacks all over, his projectiles and defensive game is where he shines. I always at the beginning of the match toss out the CAN and pressure my opponent with side b and down b. It is a good habit to pay attention to the can at all time. It's position, which direction it's going to move if I hit neutral b, how much time you have before it explodes, and if I can move it at all. If your opponent has hit it and it doesn't explode, it will count as their projectile. I remember that I was shielding hitting b trying to hit the guy in front of me and the can wouldn't move. It's also good to remember that the can is movable when shielding, during recovery, and during rolling. A habit(well I have) to have but can backfire so spacing is key to this (well, DH in general) is if on the ledge you can edge hop back and toss out a CAN so you can protect yourself a the ledge. Do also come from below the ledge too.
The idea of sending the can out to protect yourself getting back to the ledge will DEFINITELY come in handy, thank you! I also didn't realize you could hit the can while shielding. Thanks so much, I'll take this all into consideration as I practice!

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
The idea of sending the can out to protect yourself getting back to the ledge will DEFINITELY come in handy, thank you! I also didn't realize you could hit the can while shielding. Thanks so much, I'll take this all into consideration as I practice!
yea I've been sending the can out while recovering for a while. from what I can tell, it's a useful thing to do. the can is probably dhd's best move so make sure to use it to its full potential

Grimmdark2140

Smash Rookie
There are two other options to cover yourself on the ledge because he has two other projectiles. The can is the best due to how well you can control it. Though down b is not a bad option either if your coming from the top of the screen though it does require a little luck to get the gunman you want for that moment.Some skill to get the placing of the gunman right to cover you. The side is an option just not that good because there is a little lag and you can't control it as well as the can or gunman to cover you in my opinion.

HorribleGhost

Smash Rookie
My biggest issue with DHD is forgetting my options with the can.

Jumping and dropping the can is such a great option because getting the can higher in the air takes much more time and limited shots while the can drops extremely fast. Starting with the can higher just covers so much more space.

Dropping the can and forward tilting it when it lands gives you a big boost in distance. People expecting it to just travel diagonally will be taken off guard by how fast it can cover horizontal distance.

Really the big problem is if I have someone so scared of the can they just hold the shield when it approaches I get caught up in microing the can and don't take the opportunity to grab them or set up more shenanigans.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
My biggest issue with DHD is forgetting my options with the can.

Jumping and dropping the can is such a great option because getting the can higher in the air takes much more time and limited shots while the can drops extremely fast. Starting with the can higher just covers so much more space.

Dropping the can and forward tilting it when it lands gives you a big boost in distance. People expecting it to just travel diagonally will be taken off guard by how fast it can cover horizontal distance.

Really the big problem is if I have someone so scared of the can they just hold the shield when it approaches I get caught up in microing the can and don't take the opportunity to grab them or set up more shenanigans.
This is all true, but just know this: while you might be messing up now, the potential is there. with practice you will get better and be able to manage the can aswell as yourself at the same time and be able to dominate. that's why I think DHD has one of the highest skill ceilings out there.

Last edited:

OnePeg

Smash Rookie
NNID
One-Peg
3DS FC
4682-9026-8782
I've been practicing more since I posted, and finally have some good can tactics down. I still play offensively too much, but I've been utilizing the aerials (mainly Bair) to get opponents off the stage and finally kept them off with the can. Like I said, I'm a very casual player and don't expect to be professional level, but your tips are all helping. Thanks so much!

Mewtario

Smash Ace
A bad habit I've picked up that I need to stop is sending a clay pigeon out immediately after bringing up a Wild Gunman while sitting on flag ground. Insofar as I can observe, the result ends up being that the Wild Gunman shoots the clay pigeon, with the simultaneous result of the clay pigeon absorbing the gunman's bullet while the bullet destroys the clay pigeon, rendering both of them inoperative.

that's why I think DHD has one of the highest skill ceilings out there.
This, very much. Duck Hunt requires so much more multitasking capability than even Rosalina does, I often like to say that playing as Duck Hunt is "like playing [as] an aircraft carrier".

Last edited:

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Over-reliance on his projectiles is prob one of the worst habits you can make. Clay pigeon is safe most of the time as long as you pay attention to spacing, it's the one thing you can spam most of the time. Just be aware it has ending lag. Gunmen are much more situational and are generally terrible against reflect/rushdown characters, but are good to poke with ocassionally otherwise. It has significant starting lag and the gunmen aren't fast and die easily. Outside edgeguarding, tin can isn't that great as a spam move against better opponents because they can hit it back pretty easily. It can be very useful for traps however, just leaving it there can cause unfavorable situations for opponent. Against opponents that can't rush down/reflect/outspam, all 3 projectiles used together at once can be difficult to deal with, but it's important to realize you can't do this in many matchups. Sometimes better to just use clay pigeon and melee in from there. When I was first learning Duck Hunt, I was relying on his projectile spam which won't always work, but when I used them with caution I was doing a lot better.

Last edited:

Mewtario

Smash Ace
Here's something I need to work on, and I don't know if anyone else here is experiencing this hiccup:

I am currently experiencing what I've come to start calling "video game boss syndrome". That is, it feels like 2/3 of the time when a projectile of mine, be it a can or much more rarely a clay pigeon, gets either reflected or just plane hit back at me, I seem to have this impeccable aim to squarely hit myself in the face. I've even been KO'd by my own attacks, much like how, say, Gannondorf gets taken out in Ocarina of Time or Bowser gets taken out in the post-Galaxy 3D Mario games. This is why I call it "video game boss syndrome".

The problem is that it can be hard to re-calculate where the can is going to land that quickly after a direction change, so I might not have the reaction time to keep it jumping to a safe distance over myself or allow myself to duck (badum tish).

At the same time, when it happens, I can't help but laugh about it. I love how this character feels more like a video game boss than some of the video game bosses in this game!

Last edited:

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Over-reliance on his projectiles is prob one of the worst habits you can make. Clay pigeon is safe most of the time as long as you pay attention to spacing, it's the one thing you can spam most of the time. Just be aware it has ending lag. Gunmen are much more situational and are generally terrible against reflect/rushdown characters, but are good to poke with ocassionally otherwise. It has significant starting lag and the gunmen aren't fast and die easily. Outside edgeguarding, tin can isn't that great as a spam move against better opponents because they can hit it back pretty easily. It can be very useful for traps however, just leaving it there can cause unfavorable situations for opponent. Against opponents that can't rush down/reflect/outspam, all 3 projectiles used together at once can be difficult to deal with, but it's important to realize you can't do this in many matchups. Sometimes better to just use clay pigeon and melee in from there. When I was first learning Duck Hunt, I was relying on his projectile spam which won't always work, but when I used them with caution I was doing a lot better.
Against Rushdown characters, I'll generally drop a can, judge their response, and then throw clay pigeons with the can sitting there. Against spammers, I just drop a gunman and then throw a clay dove, then try to react to the situation. Using the gunman as a meatshield against projectiles is great, and usually gives me enough breathing room to throw a dove at them. I don't even bother with the can in projectile games, as it's usually amazing for edgeguarding against these types of characters.

As far as I've found, anyone that can outspam DHD can typically be forced off-stage easily, and then be forced on the defense without having easy access to their projectiles by edgeguarding with the can.

In general I like to keep my can available against projectile/reflect users, and use it to block off paths of rushdown characters.

Am I doing this right? Or is there anything obvious I'm missing about DHD their projectile game?

Christhewolf63

Smash Cadet
You can change the direction of the can effectively with a Dash attack tilts and arials!. not sure how much it damages it

Last edited:

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Against Rushdown characters, I'll generally drop a can, judge their response, and then throw clay pigeons with the can sitting there. Against spammers, I just drop a gunman and then throw a clay dove, then try to react to the situation. Using the gunman as a meatshield against projectiles is great, and usually gives me enough breathing room to throw a dove at them. I don't even bother with the can in projectile games, as it's usually amazing for edgeguarding against these types of characters.

As far as I've found, anyone that can outspam DHD can typically be forced off-stage easily, and then be forced on the defense without having easy access to their projectiles by edgeguarding with the can.

In general I like to keep my can available against projectile/reflect users, and use it to block off paths of rushdown characters.

Am I doing this right? Or is there anything obvious I'm missing about DHD their projectile game?
Sounds legit to me. And yea, I think gunmen is good against most projectiles but I've noticed they can die before their shot goes off often to stronger attacks.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Sounds legit to me. And yea, I think gunmen is good against most projectiles but I've noticed they can die before their shot goes off often to stronger attacks.
I don't care that much about the gunman dying, because it still means I have had time to throw a dove. The real thing to look out for are characters with piercing projectiles like Samus and Robin their charge attacks. Though the upside is they're pretty easy to see coming and they need to be charged. Still, I don't like trying to outspam these characters, very tedious. Is this how it feels playing against us too?

Top Bottom