• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Detective Pikachu

finalark

SNORLAX

I can't be the only one intrigue by this game's bizarre premise, sense of mystery and incredibly manly protagonist. What are your guys' thoughts?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Doesn't this belong in the Pokemon section?

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I trust this game is a very intelligent take on Pokémon's mascot - he can talk, has a weakness for good-looking people, can drink both tea and coffee and is unable to produce electricity for the most part.

It may also be the most beautiful Pokémon game ever made in spite of questionable character designs.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm really not that much into this defective pikachu game

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I honestly love everything about the game so far. Even if it turns out to be niche, I'm going to have fun with it.

I just hope it is localised.

"Elementary, my dear Wattson"

:231:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Upon first sight, I seriously had Detective Conan / Case Closed vibes rushing through my mind with hints of Studio Ghibli whimsy, which got me squeeing. :D

I'd be incredibly surprised if it ends up also having the intelligently serious vibes of Umineko ni Naku Koro ni in terms of how the mysteries are handled (Blue Truths of Theories that can stand as THEE Truth until the Red Truths of Factuality come along to either confirm or crush them, please? With the bonus being dancably serious fight songs like "resurrectedreplayer" / "miragecoordinator" (it'd probably be too scary for something like this, yet it'd make just about any scene it gets used in to be epicly memorable... >_<) / "haze" by zts and "Core" / "Run" / "Final Answer (short/full)" by dai??), but I doubt it will. I'm more than okay with leaving out Umineko's trolling, depravity in the villains' actions (Ep3 Eva-Beatrice says hi....), and especially its penchant for raw terror (seemingly ANY occasion when "miragecoordinator" starts playing, anyone?), despite the trolling and terror being among my most favorite aspects of Umineko (alongside the mystery, of course).

Perhaps the epic blockbuster movie theatrics of the Ace Attorney: Investigations series would be present here? *Imagines Detective Pikachu throwing out "OBJECTION!"s, "HOLD IT!"s, and "TAKE THAT!"s during confrontations with witnesses, and squees!*
*Sees "really really likes coffee" above--* Godot! 8D

*Cue "Godot - Fragrance of Dark Coffee" by the Metamorphosis Jazz Band from the Gyakuten Saiban meets Soul Jazz album, and me imagining Detective Pikachu either suavely hanging out with a beautiful lady, or him spilling the beans on his backstory that may or may not be tragic*

As unlikely as that might be as well, I can at least imagine that series to have a more likely chance of being channeled than how Danganronpa handles its mysteries and courtroom trials....
Upon rewatching the trailer:

If the mood of the 1st 30 seconds of that trailer carries over into the main game at certain points....

*Cue "pros" by propan mode from the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Game OST Disc 2*

I would LOVE to hear something like this to complement that mood, since I'd DEFINITELY be able to concentrate on piecing together a mystery with a song that seriously soothing, yet unsettlingly foreboding going on in the background. :>

Come to think of it, there might also be shades of Hyouka in there in terms of how down to earth its mysteries MIGHT be....?? I know not how grand of a scale the mysteries will be, but I'm willing to guess that it'll be bigger than the mundane types that Hyouka went with. Would they be as episodic as PW:JFA? Or as overarchingly woven into each other as Investigations 1 & 2?

Speaking of PW, since I DID just think of Godot, perhaps the Ace Attorney series MIGHT have more of a chance at being referenced or even being an influence than I first thought.... Certainly more than Danganronpa, if you ask me.

Oh yeah, and the Studio Ghibli vibes seem stronger now on this rewatch, what with Detective 'Chu REALLY making me think of Drippy from Ni No Kuni....

First, Type:Wild, then Pokken Tournament, and now this. I think I've might've picked a wonderful time to have finally gotten back into this series after abandoning it after Gen 2 and not even being around for Gen 3 and beyond until Type:Wild came about at around 2010.... ;o

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm kind of shocked how good this game actually looks.

This would be the first Pokemon spin-off that has ever truly interested me. PokePark for the Wii looked good, too, but it looked too easy or simple at times.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
This was a very unexpected yet delightful surprise. I'd never imagine to see a Pikachu that can talk and is also a detective. It definitely has the whole Professor Layton vibes but I really liked those games so I'm excited for this game. The trailer reveal alone was done amazingly too, especially with the CG animated detective Pikachu. Hopefully this gets released outside of Japan.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
The game is confirmed to be episodic and the part that launched on the Japanese eShop is barely five hours long.

How do y'all feel about that?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The game is confirmed to be episodic and the part that launched on the Japanese eShop is barely five hours long.

How do y'all feel about that?
I think it's fine. People who are curious spend the $. People who liked it will spend more. It's at a price point where most people will be willing to try it.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
With the new movie, a Detective Pikachu character would not be odd to me. In general, more Pikachu would generate sales, but this new movie is being predicted by analysts to catapult video game movies into an entirely new industry (the "superman" of gaming, is one phrase I read).

Maybe someone can think of a way Meowth would be an echo- since neither would utilize actual Pokemon attacks.

#wishfulthinking

Top Bottom