• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Design] 'Improved' Shadow Moses Island

Fortress

Smash Master
I'd rather edit than self-bump, but if anybody sees this, likes it, and CAN do it, or wants to, feel free. I'd love to someday see a Shadow Moses that IS Shadow Moses but better.

Personally, I enjoyed vanilla Shadow Moses Island. It had a great atmosphere, an excellent choice of tracks, and was a pretty comfortable size. The main qualms that my household and myself (and I'm sure many others) had were the walls, and the fact that floor kills weren't really a thing at all. Looking through the Vault, I found no real stage designs on Shadow Moses that only did slight alterations, and not just retextures or flat-out replacements. So, with that in mind, I drew up a few templates for what I liked to think of as a new take on Shadow Moses.

(Let me open up by saying that, while I have very little experience in creating stages for Smash Bros, I have a solid background in level creation in things like Unreal, Halo, CS, and the like; so, I'd love the input of people who are savvy with Brawlbox editing. Also, forgive me if I refer to a 'stage' as a 'map'; force of habit)

First and foremost: the size of the map.

So, Shadow Moses was a pretty decent size for your average stage. I would think most could agree on that. It had a lofty ceiling, and comfortably 'long' walls, fettered only by the breakable towers lying in front of them. Getting killed off of the side of the stage wasn't particularly easy, but heavy-hitting characters could often take advantage of the flatness of the upper and lower levels, and lack of platforms and ledges, to perform easy carries off of the stage's walls. Apart from that, it was very comfortable to move around Shadow Moses, with or without the towers, and was very comfortably sized.

Breakable Towers

This was the 'quirk' that Shadow Moses tried to bring to the table; its Randal, FZero racers, and (god forbid) giant fish ala Summit. They were, more-or-less, the defining feature of Shadow Moses Island. For better or for (in most cases) worse. The towers, we felt, created a Temple-esque feel, where kills were much harder to get than they should be. While bouncing and knocking people off of walls had some merit for comboing, more often than not, they just broke the flow of combat in the stage.

Flat Ground Level

With the towers destroyed, battling on the ground level usually boiled down to fights to see who could carry or F-smash their opponent off of the side of the stage first. Without any sort of ledges or falls, it felt like there was no clear dynamic other than 'hit whomever's in front of you harder'. It was a straight up slugfest, but without all of the trickery and technique that comes with trying to recover onto a stage with a similar layout, such as Final Destination.

Okay, so it's been established that Shadow Moses island has a little room for improvement in the 'terrain variety' department, as well as in the fact that it's a gigantic smash closet. What were the changes we had in mind at the house?

Firstly, some slight adjustments to the size of the stage. By extending the walls a very small amount, and bringing the ceiling down, more focus on game play will be brought to the ground floor. Combat focus will shift from strictly wall kills (which, with extended walls, won't be quite as easy to get as before), to trying to line opponents up to get them to the upper levels of the map for some low-percent ceiling kills. In just changing where the blast lines are placed, the core focus of where fighting would take place on Shadow Moses can be molded whichever way is comfortable. Additionally, we felt that by moving the player spawn positions to be exclusively on the middle and lower level, that there'd be more focus in driving players upward, and moving upward to meet other players when you spawned in (i.e. less focus on the sides of the stage).

Secondly, changing up the objects on Shadow Moses. What we had in mind, was removing the breakable towers entirely (perhaps relegating them to background objects, as they'd be nice to bring an aesthetic 'pop' to the stage), and replacing them with a third platform underneath the top level to form another 'triangle' stage. What would (hopefully) set Shadow Moses apart from other well-established triangle stages, would be that the size of the three platforms would be a bit longer, spaced out a little farther than Battlefield's, and brought down a little bit from their current Shadow Moses height. This would hopefully drive the flow of the game upward more often, putting more emphasis on the low-percent ceiling kills that were mentioned in the first change suggestion.

Finally, the quirk. This one was a bit crazy, but it involves a slight stage transformation. At about forty seconds into every minute, a pit would open up in the center of the lower floor of the stage, filled with water (and would be opened completely at forty-five seconds, the five seconds before to alert players of the transformation). Having this opening could instantly impact the game flow, and place more priority on setting up spikes and floor kills (something Brawl's Shadow Moses lacked) during the time that the pit was open. It would remain open for fifteen seconds. We're about half-and-half split between having water or no water, but agree that some sort of bottom killing power happening for a brief amount of time could add some flair and variety to Shadow Moses, without changing up too much of the core concepts behind it.

Anyway, here's a quick rendition of what we were thinking of. All red areas are where the areas of the blast lines and beyond would be, blue areas are water, and the colored circles are player spawn positions.

ShinySpiritSeer

Smash Rookie
I have to hand it too ya, these are very good ideas...

BUT!

Brawl's limitations would come into play
opening a pit is no problem (60 frames per second X 45 seconds = every 2,700 frames.) , but the water part is a bit undoable unless replacing a stage like jungle japes and such
The walls CAN be removed
Adjusting the Spawns CAN be moved
moving blast lines CAN be done

Most everything you want except the water part can be done, but I would need an overlay (overlap the old moses island with the new, showing me exactly how far blast points should go.)
And what do I do about the background elements, like the robots and such.

Fortress

Smash Master
Hmmmm... interesting to know. I had no idea of the water limitation, and you're the resident expert of the thread. I can think this sort of thing up, but I have no idea how to implement it.

So, we're onboard and on the same page with the walls, blast lines, spawns, and something involving the pit. Maybe it could just be an empty pit? It'd still change the flow of the game, and who knows, an empty pit might not produce as 'slow' games as one filled with water would.

I could get this overlay for you, but I'd need the original of Shadow Moses to know where the blast lines were in the first place. As for the background elements, keep them. They're a huge part of the feel and 'soul' of the map; capturing essences of MGS. It's not intended to be a full-blown remake, just a retuning and balancing act.

ShinySpiritSeer

Smash Rookie
Hmmmm... interesting to know. I had no idea of the water limitation, and you're the resident expert of the thread. I can think this sort of thing up, but I have no idea how to implement it.

So, we're onboard and on the same page with the walls, blast lines, spawns, and something involving the pit. Maybe it could just be an empty pit? It'd still change the flow of the game, and who knows, an empty pit might not produce as 'slow' games as one filled with water would.

I could get this overlay for you, but I'd need the original of Shadow Moses to know where the blast lines were in the first place. As for the background elements, keep them. They're a huge part of the feel and 'soul' of the map; capturing essences of MGS. It's not intended to be a full-blown remake, just a retuning and balancing act.
I'll get the blast points, and an empty pit will work.
It just takes me a bit, I have to go get the file for a clean shadow moses.
I know about the blast lines because I've extended the mario kart level REALLY far, but I'm working on it's collisions
Edit: Files are down for a while. Might take one of the custom texture ones and use that.

ShinySpiritSeer

Smash Rookie
here it is:

Red is death boundraies
Purple is camera
middle red line is a drop platfrom
green is destructable
grey is walkable ground, even if out of the boundraies

Fortress

Smash Master
kk. I'm blogging at the same time so I might not notice as fast as I was
I'm in no rush. A rush won't get us a good build. Anyway, I hope this is clear enough. My changes are the thicker lines, with the pit being bottom-center. Notice how I drew up a 'triangle formation' of platforms ala Battlefield, but made the top-center platform wider than the other two; the same width as the pit. I also thought moving the camera back if possible would let us see more of the stage at once. Additionally, I brought the ceiling much lower, as I described in the original post.

ShinySpiritSeer

Smash Rookie
I'm in no rush. A rush won't get us a good build. Anyway, I hope this is clear enough. My changes are the thicker lines, with the pit being bottom-center. Notice how I drew up a 'triangle formation' of platforms ala Battlefield, but made the top-center platform wider than the other two; the same width as the pit. I also thought moving the camera back if possible would let us see more of the stage at once. Additionally, I brought the ceiling much lower, as I described in the original post.

Hmm... good ideas, but again, limitations
Camera moves back depending on how far two characters are from each other relative to the camera limit
I can do the platforms easy, but... do I keep the platform above the mid platform or do I take it out? Could you mark up which things old platforms stay and which go? it'd make it a lot easier

Fortress

Smash Master
Hmm... good ideas, but again, limitations
Camera moves back depending on how far two characters are from each other relative to the camera limit
I can do the platforms easy, but... do I keep the platform above the mid platform or do I take it out? Could you mark up which things old platforms stay and which go? it'd make it a lot easier
Oh, all old platforms and placements go.

ShinySpiritSeer

Smash Rookie
Oh, all old platforms and placements go.
oh, ok.
I'll start with the camera boundaries and death boundaries, then the platforms and hole. when I get the ground and platforms I'll put out a beta.
Edit: Your death boundaries might be a bit low, making it a LOT easier to ceiling ko

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I think a simple fix would be:

• enlarge the stage slightly
  • cut everything below the top platform
  • enlarged the top platform vertically or add some piece of the background to it so it has a slight wall (think smashville)
  • the camera is focused on the top part of the stage
  • move the two platforms that are normally below the main platform, to above the top platform
  • push the towers back into the wall so they don't jut out onto the top(now main platform) so they're more of a background object
  • make the camera limit what you can see past the towers on each side but make the side boundaries large enough so you don't die instantly (having the whole stage enlarged will help)
  • Keep all the original animations of the snow and metal gears blasting through the wall
  • change the boundaries to accommodate the new designated area to fight
I think this would preserve the original feel for the stage and do something new with platforms, I don't think there's a setup with platforms that just has 2 on opposite sides

I love this stage and would love to see a more competitive version of it, the original is too annoying even for casual play

ShinySpiritSeer

Smash Rookie

• enlarged the top platform vertically or add some piece of the background to it so it has a slight wall (think smashville)
  • move the two platforms that are normally below the main platform, to above the top platform
  • push the towers back into the wall so they don't jut out onto the top(now main platform) so they're more of a background object
  • make the camera limit what you can see past the towers on each side but make the side boundaries large enough so you don't die instantly (having the whole stage enlarged will help)
  • Keep all the original animations of the snow and metal gears blasting through the wall
I think this would preserve the original feel for the stage and do something new with platforms, I don't think there's a setup with platforms that just has 2 on opposite sides

I love this stage and would love to see a more competitive version of it, the original is too annoying even for casual play
I could try this after making the other version, if possible

Fortress

Smash Master

This could work for if we're not trying to drastically alter the stage like I had originally suggested. I like it a lot.

Top Bottom