• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Delta's video guide to Lucas (WIP)

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Hey guys, I'm finally going to hold myself accountable to doing this project. I've been thinking about this for a while now and want to put out content covering the general aspects of Lucas.

Basics
DJC PKF & spacing properly
Jumping out of magnet
Wavedashing
SH aerials
DJC aerials​
Basically I'll be covering basics- DJC PKF, jumping out of magnet, then SH magnet, then dash -> SH mag, dash -> grounded mag, etc

Advanced tech
Mag/DJC aerials
Safe shield pressure

Combos
Super floaties
Floaty midweights
Normal falling midweights
Heavies
Fast fallers

Movement

DJC vs SHFFL

Approaches & cross-ups

Ledge Tech
Ledge dash
Ledge hop options
Aerial / DJC aerial
Invincible magnet (under 100%)
PKF​
Misc.

Ledge guarding
Only doing specific characters that Lucas can consistently ledge guard.

Fox/Falco
Diddy
Marth
Lucas (for dittos)
Bowser/DK
Zelda
Sheik
Yoshi
Mario
Ike
Tethers

==

Let me know if there's anything else you would like to see included. Any specific tech or combos, characters to be ledge guarded, misc.

Last edited:

AntSSB

Smash Cadet
Invincible magnet from ledge is something super important. Also just different options from ledge in general.

trancex

Smash Cadet
I think a lot of people ask about when to use SHFFL vs DJC aerials. Lucas is so freeform in his combos because of the distinct hitboxes on many of his moves, and because he can control the height of his aerials.

Also: when to approach with magnet vs crossup nair, how to beat opponents who CC, when to DD vs PK freeze. How to set up grabs using DJC/SHFFL fair/uair/nair.

Tech chasing in general would be awesome, it's something I still struggle with.

Oh and now that I'm thinking about this, should we rename DJLs to double jump platform warps? It seems like they're quite similar to that melee tech. Either way, you can include a bit about that, how it's a very viable movement option with a ton of potential for combo extensions, tech chasing, etc.

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
I know this is a very broad request, but general movement would be nice.
For example, his usefulness with WD, DD, DJC (or DJPL), etc.
I know I use DD and WD a ton in the neutral to confuse so mentioning at least the usefulness of DJs to reposition (though I think you should cover this under spacing) and his longer WD should be covered imo.

And now you got me motivated to actually post PM Lucas stuff on my channel. LOL.

Last edited:

D e l t a

Against characters such as Pikachu, ICs, Jiggs, etc your best bet is to stay on stage rather than risk getting gimped or taking unnecessary damage. Lucas doesn't have the greatest ledge guarding tools to combat certain character's recoveries. If you have found consistent methods to ledge guarding these characters, please feel free to share with us.

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
pikachu just grab ledge when they're going to recover and punish the stage landing, climbers grab ledge so up b doesn't and when they side b they can be punished, jiggs u can just bair most the time

D e l t a

^

In debug, the input is grab ledge, wait 7 frames, hit up or jump, wait 8 frames? (You'll see a dust cloud appear under his feet right when you're going just above the ledge), then hit magnet. From the, the JC window is frame 5 and you can do whatever you want out of the jump

D e l t a

Still waiting on the capture equipment to arrive. The USPS did something with the delivery so idk where it's at. Will begin creating these videos once it arrives.

D e l t a

LOL if I can coordinate something with Kip that would be great. I was just going to record Lucas things and post them with some audio commentary, but that sounds even better.

D e l t a

Update: got the recording equipment from Trance. Going to mess around with some settings and begin recording stuff soon!

D e l t a

Getting bodied by college. My friend currently has the recording equipment since I barely have time to even practice tech skill let alone record anything.

Sorry on the long delay. I'll be doing my best to get this finished in the upcoming month or two when I'm done with exams. Unfortunately, I didn't get the recording equipment from a friend until late into December. Classes started beginning of January so I couldn't get much progress on this

==

In the meantime, Hyper's guide provides a decent amount of insight to Lucas' overall gameplay with a bit of breakdown. When I can finally start producing these guides (probably a 3-5 part series), I'll go into more detail.

KrozoMagnus

Smash Rookie
Getting bodied by college. My friend currently has the recording equipment since I barely have time to even practice tech skill let alone record anything.

Sorry on the long delay.

In the meantime, Hyper's guide provides a decent amount of insight to Lucas' overall gameplay with a bit of breakdown. When I can finally start producing these guides (probably a 3-5 part series), I'll go into more detail.
No problem! School is important.

I'll delve into Hyper's guide for starters! Thanks for the link.

D e l t a

Sure thing. I really wanted to get out the video before school started too :/ I'll be sure to get it out ASAP when I'm back from college

Top Bottom