• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deff's Wario hands on impressions

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Yesterday while at a ssbm tournament They had a hacked wii with brawl on it. I got to play it eventually with wario and heres what I think about it: Note
this is coming from someone who goes to tournaments frequently and knows all advanced techniques. Unfortunately I didn't get very much play time so this isn't complete, Sorry.

Techniques: Wow, can you say melee? It almost plays EXACTLY the same. Next time you hear a scrub say something about "Wow they chainged the gaem.!i" Don't listen. I had no problem playing brawl and returning to my tournament matches/friendlies in melee after playing brawl. You WILL forget about wavedashing and dashdancing and the rest of the techs when you play. Nintendo does the lcancelling for you by giving little lag on most aerials in the game.

I'm pretty sure I was the only person who picked wario there. Alot of people obviously picked marth/metaknight/pit. Despite Wario's looks he has a very fast running speed.

Chomp (neutral B) Unrealistically mindgamey. You can like, hold it at the ledge and wait for someone to roll in and just Chomp em. It has high priority but short range.

Motorcycle (B >) Crappy priority as I predicted. It has its place in recovery, just ride it close to the edge and jump off. Good to use every once in a while for mindgames. Throwing it as an edgeguard is nice too.

Wario fart (Bdown) Lol this move is awesome. Nobody really notices it charging secretly. The trick in this move is you can release it anytime, so if your fighting some inhuman opponent who memorized the exact time the fart can be fully charged, you can trick em by using them early. It kills fairly early.

Corkscrew (B-up) Wow, warios downside. He has a great recovery until you use this. Brings back the ways of doc for me. Sucking distance. It goes straight up too.

Neutral A jab - Argh, I forget how this is like. I remember its pretty nice though for a doc like use (jab => smash).

ftilt - Forgot what this does as well.

dtilt - and this one...

utilt - Very tricky animation. It seems to have alot of lag but it is fairly reliable in juggling.

Fsmash - Forgot what it does

Dsmash- He just spins on his back for a long time. Alright knockback, but if you miss you'll be in big trouble. Comes out quick.

Usmash - Didn't try. I personally hate usmashes.

Uair - The hand clap. This kills really well and comes out pretty quick. A must use.

Fair - Wow, I love this move! It pops people up in the air perfectly for comboing. It's also a reliable spammy approach imo.

Bair - Almost in the same league as fair, no lag AT ALL but doesn't have favored knockback.

Dair - This move is insane. He just goes in a torpedo and spins midair. It hits tons of times and stays out for a while. Good for keeping a comboing rush going.

Nair - didn't try.

Recovering: Any decent doc players out there know what a complicated recovery is. Wario's is easier but no different. The most used recovery will be to jump, ride the motorcycle to the ledge (or close) jump out, and b-up. Its a rather far distance and is somewhat hard to edgegaurd but his b-up is craptastic in distance and doesn't auto sweetspot (doesn't cling to the ledge)
He also has the option of using wario fart to go verrrrry high but motorcycle to b-up is fine enough most of the time.

Hope you guys enjoyed this. Wario ftw :D.

Agent 1337

Smash Apprentice
Not bad, not bad. I personally love Wario as both a character and a Brawler, so it's nice to see some impressions. The only thing I'm skeptical about is the "techniques" thing you said, and that's only because everyone and their aunt is saying it constantly. I think I'll just have to play the game to find out, then.

Loved your little joke with the Wario Waft, by the way. Wario for the win indeed.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Yeah, its kinda hard to believe, but at some points while playing I thought I was playing melee with a new secret character. I mean, of course there were some people trying to wavedash and sding off the stage, but I sure wasn't one of them. Im glad you liked the impressions, thanks.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
ftilt - Wario throws his fist forwards, like a mini f-smash. Has good knockback and range.

dtilt - He extends his arm diagonally forwards. I didn't use this much.

Fsmash - Wario does his shoulder bash. According to some people it has super armor frames (I didn't notice it), but it has nice knockback.

Usmash - Wario sticks his hands upwards and spins around. Multi-hitting move, a decent smash.

Nair - He spins in a belly flop position with his limbs extended. Average n-air length, wasn't bad but I didn't use it much. I did find though, that it follows f-air well. Short-hop to f-air to n-air wasn't bad.

Recovering: Don't ride the bike. Get on, and mash so that you jump off on the first available frame. This gives you maximum vertical distance.
Filled in some blanks for you. ;)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
"Fsmash - Wario does his shoulder bash. According to some people it has super armor frames (I didn't notice it), but it has nice knockback."

According to me it's got Super Armor. Just go look at the 13th video (vs Link) in my "Compilation of Wario videos" thread, and fast forward to 4:14. You'll see that Wario doesn't flinch from Link's dair.

Top Bottom