• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defensive Falcon?

Cymbo

Smash Rookie
NNID
MiiPun
Hello, I just recently started getting into serious Smash, and I propose an idea. A defensive Cpt. Falcon. Like I said, I'm new. So i'll need yalls help. Please leave any suggestions on any moves, techs, ect... Thank you

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
that cannot be as falcon doesnt have any proyectile or counter besides his fall speed doesnt help him either, a true defensive character is like palutena

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
What Metalbro Metalbro said : run around a lot, abuse Bair's safety, use dashing shields and empty short hops until your opponent does something punishable

Pixel_

Smash Ace
that cannot be as falcon doesnt have any proyectile or counter besides his fall speed doesnt help him either, a true defensive character is like palutena
Are counters and projectiles needed for a defensive character? I'd argue that Meta Knight is a defensive character, and I'm sure Falcon could play as one too.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Are counters and projectiles needed for a defensive character? I'd argue that Meta Knight is a defensive character, and I'm sure Falcon could play as one too.
Meta knight a defensive character? wrong my friend he`s like Falcon a high risk high reward character, the difference is that he`s lightweight, has disjointed hitboxes and he`s really small like kirby
And yeah counters and projectiles are a must for defensive characters, take a look at Palutena the very essence of a defensive character

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Meta knight a defensive character? wrong my friend he`s like Falcon a high risk high reward character, the difference is that he`s lightweight, has disjointed hitboxes and he`s really small like kirby
And yeah counters and projectiles are a must for defensive characters, take a look at Palutena the very essence of a defensive character
I might be using the term "defensive" a bit loosely, but so is the OP. Defensive doesn't mean stand at the edge of the stage, shoot projectiles, and counter when attacked.
:4jigglypuff: doesn't have a counter or projectile, so by your logic she can't be a defensive character. Does that make her offensive? How are you supposed to rush down opponents with Jigglypuff?
:4dk: doesn't have a counter or projectile either; how do you play DK? (ok honestly there might be a very aggressive DK out there but anyway)

The thing here is that defensive characters don't attack first. Meta Knight plays as a bait & punish character. This means he waits until the opponent does something punishable, then rushes in with his dash attack and Uairs. Now, I'm not a Meta Knight player and that description might've been completely cringe-worthy (especially because of the new patch), but I think that's basically it. The opponent strikes first while the defensive player stays back and punishes once the opponent messes up. Or they just spam projectiles, it depends on the character.

Also I doubt MK is a high risk/reward character; even if he's light, his moves are extremely safe. I mean, I'm pretty sure his Fsmash is safe on shield, and that is not normal. I'm also pretty sure that Captain Falcon is the only high risk/reward high tier; it's very hard for a character to be a high tier and have so much risk, and I doubt Meta Knight is top tier with the same hindrance.

I don't mean to offend you or anything, I just strongly disagree with what you're saying.
(I also hope this is totally fine for this thread)

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Well most MK i ve seen and fought play very similar to falcon, aggresive , taking risks and punishing hard and even the smash wiki states MK is a high risk high reward character but i kinda agree with you.
Still i dont believe Captain Falcon can be played as a defensive character, he lacks some fundamentals to be played like that

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
What a character needs to play defensively is safety, be it in range, frame data and/or mobility. If we take the example of MK he can be played defensively with air camping thanks to his numerous jumps and Fsmash baiting because it has so little lag and can kill so early, but for MK to get in his regular combo (can he anymore ? I haven't fought a MK since 1.1.5) he needs to either land a dash attack or a dash grab which both are unsafe, so he has to rely on baiting and punishing his opponent's mistakes.

The same can be said for Falcon : he has some safe options and can be played defensively but if he wants to land his big blows he has to take some risks and guess what his opponent's thinking.

That's why both MK and Falcon are more seen as mixup characters than defensive ones.

In short every character can be played defensively but only a few have a moveset that really makes it their default playstyle. Some notorious defensive characters are Sheik, Rosaluma or Villager.

Top Bottom