• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defensive, Counter Characters

snorman22

Smash Rookie
Looking for a character who is very defensively orientated and can counter enemy mistakes. Capitalizes on enemy poor position, moves and creates advantages for themselves

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I read this post and the first thing that comes to mind is :4marth:, though he may not be the best choice.

v3ga

Smash Cadet
Pretty much any character can do this, it's more about how you play the character...

But I guess you could put this range of characters into that playstyle in terms of how they're most effectively played (whilst also being relevant in current meta)::4bowser::4dk::4marth::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4ryu::4villager:

snorman22

Smash Rookie
Pretty much any character can do this, it's more about how you play the character...

But I guess you could put this range of characters into that playstyle in terms of how they're most effectively played (whilst also being relevant in current meta)::4bowser::4dk::4marth::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4ryu::4villager:
I don't really like Village too much, such a weird playstyle. Feels nothing like what I'm used to.
I've been playing Mewtew a lot, seems quite hard (Could just be me)
Bowser is great aswell seems quite basic, but then again I am a beginner so I could have interpretations all wrong.

v3ga

Smash Cadet
I don't really like Village too much, such a weird playstyle. Feels nothing like what I'm used to.
I've been playing Mewtew a lot, seems quite hard (Could just be me)
Bowser is great aswell seems quite basic, but then again I am a beginner so I could have interpretations all wrong.
Mewtwo can be a bit difficult to play especially when trying to get his most optical combos down. Also keep in mind that he is extraordinarily light and will die to strong attacks very early. On the flip side he does massive amounts of damage and has the potential to KO others very early.

Bowser is a much easier character than most but it is imperative to get the timing of his grab followups down. A negative to Bowser is that you're going to get combo'd hard and get tossed around like a volleyball but you will survive KO moves until very late percentages and have the ability to secure early KO's.

Marth is a great middle ground character than has the qualities that you're looking for but you need to keep in mind that he needs to be played at the apex of his tipper range to maximize his potential.

Last edited:

JasonKaroshi

Smash Apprentice
You can literally play any character any way you choose, but some great defensive and punish characters are:

:4mario:Mario: His fireballs aren't laggy at all, and can go through things like :4diddy: Diddy Banana and his Peanut Popgun. Mario's combos are devastating and can zero to death when mastered. Fireballs can create pressure and edge-guard vertical recoveries.

:rosalina:Rosaluma: Jab is super good at keeping opponents away, as well as her insane juggling game with Luma, she is hard to shake off. She is pretty susceptible without her Luma, but otherwise, a great character. If you choose to play her, don't let other people's complaints get to you.

:4mewtwo: Mewtwo: His Shadow Ball is similar to Mario's Fireballs, but they're laggier, and instead they can charge. Having one charged up creates a ton of pressure. He also has strong combos off of d-tilt and f-air, as well as the Abadango combo. (footstool disable)

:4megaman: Mega Man: Strong projectile game and insanely fast pellets can keep opponents off and build percent. His up-tilt kills insanely early, especially if you can jab lock them with your pellets.

Drizzlebow

Banned via Warnings
I may not be the most knowledgeable player in the ring, but :4metaknight: can capitalize on mistakes and turn them into advantages really well. :4metaknight: isn't the most beginner friendly character out there, though, so it might be better to pick someone like :4mario: or :4pit: instead.

Top Bottom