• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deep breathing and jumping.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Hey everyone, I was messing around in the training mode yesterday and I noticed something kind of weird. It looked like with deep breathing activeated, my double jump was shorter then when it was not activated. It was a very small difference, but it was consistent across repeated testing. Can someone verify this, or am I just crazy? It seems weird that while deep breathing is active it would make you worse at anything, even just a tiny bit.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
That could be it I suppose, though it seems odd to link fall speed to jump height. It could be though. I'll try to test it mare this evening to see if I can get any more info.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
You're not crazy--I'm getting the same result regardless of input variations. Deep Breathing slightly reduces the height of her air jump. Grounded jumps seem unaffected.

I don't think the game engine links fall speed to air jump height, but then again this is very difficult to test for. The only way I could think to change fall speed was using the metal box item. But despite the description, there isn't a big change, nor am I confident that I saw a significant change in jump height. Maybe Deep Breathing's effect was a conscious balancing decision to prevent some combo found in testing--best theory I've got.

At the end of the day, though, let's not pretend there's much rhyme or reason to balancing in Smash Bros...

Untouch

Smash Master
I believe that actually formulas are known and it doesn't impact jump height, so it's probably a side effect of the engine.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Good to know I'm not the only one who sees this. Great idea testing with the metal box as well. Regardless of intention, this is good to include in our information about deep breathing, as it could potentially make certain combos harder to utilize with it on, or even hurt recovery distance.

Top Bottom