• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DeDeDeal with it. A guide to King DeDeDe in Smash 4. v0.2

DeDeDeal with it. A guide to King DeDeDe in Smash 4. v0.2

hyhy

Smash Rookie
NNID
hhartley94
3DS FC
0061-0342-2385
hyhy submitted a new guide:

DeDeDeal with it (WIP) - the royal guide to smashing faces

I felt like there was a serious lack of love for DeDeDe in Sm4sh, so I went ahead and made this guide to try and get something started.

Guide Contents

i. Why play KD3? - Pros and Cons
ii. How to win with KD3

iii. Moveset Analysis

iv. Ground Attacks
v. Aerial Attacks

vi. Grabs
vii. Special Attacks
Read more about this guide...

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Stuff:
  • Utilt has a 10% sourspot
  • Fsmash has multiple sourspots; the upper portion of the swing does 15% and there's a 6% shockwave after impacting the ground.
  • Usmash has a 9% sourspot with pitiful knockback, around Dedede's body (aim to connect with the hammerhead).
  • Nair is 12% early hit and 7% late hit, there is no inbetween. Early hit has strong diagonal knockback and can actually kill (albeit somewhat late), late hit has vertical knockback that combos into utilt, nair, uair, etc depending on percent.
  • Bair's hitbox is a static sphere behind Dedede; it doesn't follow the hammer swing, but the swing covers the area the hitbox covers. Useful to know because it actually has immediate coverage around head height despite being a swing starting from below him.
  • Dair also has a 9% sourspot; you need to hit with the hammerhead to sweetspot for a spike. He swings the hammer behind him, so RARing it can be useful when attempting to spike.
  • Our grab is pretty average afaik
  • dthrow>bair combos for longer than dthrow>nair but not as long as dthrow>fair. Considering the 22% total damage, lesser ending lag and good knockback, I much prefer it to fair when possible.
  • If Gordo hits multiple times it's because the opponent's hurtbox is still reaching into it after it rebounds off them. Tends to happen a lot if the Gordo lands on top of them and they end up launching further into it.
  • Input angles for default gordos are no input/side(furthest), down (medium), and up (bounce in place). For Bouncing and Topspin Gordo, Up/Neutral/Down control the height the Gordo is sent at.
Just did some brief skimming, may post again later with opinions instead of just fact-checking.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Minor detail, but pretty sure the dair sourspot is 8%.

Also UTilt has a few frames of partial invincibilty, around the head.
Can't exactly pinpoint the effective area, I remember having mixed results, most likely due to **** timing and me too lazy to try in a testing environment.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Just looked at guide, couple more things.

You can probably specify how Gordo Throw's damage is dependant on the number of bounces before the actual hit.

No bounce is 14%.
1 bounce is 12%-13% (I assume it's 12.5% but I cannot confirm)
2 bounces is 11%
3 bounces is 9%
Hammer itself is a flat 10%.

Also, any attack dealing 2% or more reflect gordos, so you're right in saying that laser and needles do not reflect them.
So any attack that deals 1%; jab combos and Luigi's Taunt (????).

I'd have a lot to say about stages, but I feel I need to make a thread for that; this board really needs some solid competitive discussion going.

hyhy

Smash Rookie
NNID
hhartley94
3DS FC
0061-0342-2385
Just looked at guide, couple more things.

You can probably specify how Gordo Throw's damage is dependant on the number of bounces before the actual hit.

No bounce is 14%.
1 bounce is 12%-13% (I assume it's 12.5% but I cannot confirm)
2 bounces is 11%
3 bounces is 9%
Hammer itself is a flat 10%.

Also, any attack dealing 2% or more reflect gordos, so you're right in saying that laser and needles do not reflect them.
So any attack that deals 1%; jab combos and Luigi's Taunt (????).

I'd have a lot to say about stages, but I feel I need to make a thread for that; this board really needs some solid competitive discussion going.
I've added that in now, didn't realise exactly how Gordo damage worked so that's really useful to know, thanks!

Would be nice to get some stage discussion going, haven't seen anything specific to KD3 elsewhere.

Mr.Shameless

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrShameless
3DS FC
5301-0935-0975
Okay well.. The down special can be a wicked move.. However.. It is not to be used all willy nilly... I land that move 8 of 10 times.. Its just how you use it...you can hit anyone who uses their body in a dash attack..(mario,samus,falcon ect) It can also hit people who wait on ledges.. Took me a while to find this out. But if its fully charged and their invincibility is gone, there is a distance you can stand and the hammer will hit its mark...
Also, its pretty decent at edge guarding.. Of course you only get one shot so make it count.. You can walk off with a charging jet hammer and hit anyone going for low middle (idk the word for it) recovery and still recover yourself.. DO NOT walk off with a fully charged shot.. Youll have no time to recover... Lastly, foes who are falling onto the stage or the ledge.. Jumping up and giving them a face full of jet hammer is also really satisfying... Word of caution.. Its obvious when u bring it out and when you will use it.. Dont repeat it to often.. You should be able to beat out everyones ariel attack so there will be no neutralized hit with a full hammer...

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I've been waiting for someone to finally get around to making a guide for the King. Thanks for that.

Although I feel you missed one major detail that can save games for Dedede, and that's his Dededecide. It's not the most honorable of moves at all, but can be really useful in tough situations.

Basically, all you do as when you're falling down near the edge of the stage and your opponent is waiting to edgeguard, you use Inhale (BNeutral) and suck them up. Dedede's Inhale is pretty damn good at keeping opponents trapped in your belly long enough for them to die along with you above I'd say about 20%.

Of course, this move is only to be used if you have a higher stock count than your opponent or if your percentage is incredibly higher than your foe and you both have the same amount of stocks.

It's really good for leveling out the playing field if you're in a bad spot.
However, you obviously don't want to use this too often to avoid being overly predictable and get punished. Also, you don't want to be that one prick who suicides all the time. You don't want to be the guy at the tournament that everyone hates. So seriously, use it only when you have to.

Another thing is that you can still suck someone up on the way down, spit them out, and recover most of the time, if you don't want to suicide. Be warned, though, this is punishable and one wrong move or mistiming WILL result in a loss of a stock. But, it's an option for anti-edgeguarding.

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I've been waiting for someone to finally get around to making a guide for the King. Thanks for that.

Although I feel you missed one major detail that can save games for Dedede, and that's his Dededecide. It's not the most honorable of moves at all, but can be really useful in tough situations.

Basically, all you do as when you're falling down near the edge of the stage and your opponent is waiting to edgeguard, you use Inhale (BNeutral) and suck them up. Dedede's Inhale is pretty damn good at keeping opponents trapped in your belly long enough for them to die along with you above I'd say about 20%.

Of course, this move is only to be used if you have a higher stock count than your opponent or if your percentage is incredibly higher than your foe and you both have the same amount of stocks.

It's really good for leveling out the playing field if you're in a bad spot.
However, you obviously don't want to use this too often to avoid being overly predictable and get punished. Also, you don't want to be that one prick who suicides all the time. You don't want to be the guy at the tournament that everyone hates. So seriously, use it only when you have to.

Another thing is that you can still suck someone up on the way down, spit them out, and recover most of the time, if you don't want to suicide. Be warned, though, this is punishable and one wrong move or mistiming WILL result in a loss of a stock. But, it's an option for anti-edgeguarding.
Most people know what Dededecide is, you didn't need to explain it in-depth so much. It's just sacrificing a stock to kill your enemy, that's all there is to it.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Most people know what Dededecide is, you didn't need to explain it in-depth so much. It's just sacrificing a stock to kill your enemy, that's all there is to it.
The writer disregarded Inhale for pretty much all its primary uses.
Obviously they didn't know, or else they would have implemented it in the guide.

Besides, what's the hurt in going in-depth about his abilities? That IS the purpose of a guide, is it not?

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
By all means do so!
I've been considering doing the same, actually. Though, I think you probably having more to say than me would more easily get the ball rolling. :p

hyhy

Smash Rookie
NNID
hhartley94
3DS FC
0061-0342-2385
The writer disregarded Inhale for pretty much all its primary uses.
Obviously they didn't know, or else they would have implemented it in the guide.

Besides, what's the hurt in going in-depth about his abilities? That IS the purpose of a guide, is it not?
I did know, I've just never had any luck using it :p
I'll try and include some information on it in the next update.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Using Inhale to swallow a powerful projectile is something I do for ****s and giggles. Otherwise, I haven't integrated it into my moveset yet.
On a side note, I developed a quick mind game to preoccupy an enemy: up angle Gordo and immediately faceplant. They're usually too worried about Gordo to see the dash attack coming. Long live the King! :4dedede:

Top Bottom