• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede, thoughts from a new-ish player

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
Really the first time I've been serious about a smash game so I'm a bit of a noob - but having played DDD almost exclusively since launch I've seen a lot of changes in my game. I've gotten ALOT better and some preconceived notions I had about DDD I now feel were wrong.

I'm winning about 75% of my matches now on for glory - whereas the first month it was more like 35%.

My fortunes turned dramatically when I learned how to use back air. If you're struggling with DDD practice this a bunch. It's so deadly now that I'm good with it. Getting this one move down single handedly saved me from switching mains. It's a KO monster....my favorite DDD move.

Keeping spacing with forward tilt and getting good with down throw + nair/upairs has really helped too.

I'm finding that the best way to play the character is somewhat passively. I used to hate playing against rushing characters like Shiek/ZSS/Capt. Falc but now I love it, they're my favorite matchups other than the other heavies. Proper shielding while using jabs, forward tilt has really helped. Down smash if they get really close. Or just shield and grab into a down throw combo. And of course my favorite tactic...shorthoping backwards and baiting them into back airs. Honestly I probably use bair too much, something I need to work on.

I hated gordos at first...almost made me switch mains to DK or villager. But now I'm convinced that if you think it's a terrible move...you don't know how to use them right. I rarely throw gordos when standing still. Down B version is amazing for edgeguarding. Let them bounce near the edge. If the other player hops over I'll have a good shot at an up air. I do the same when juggling characters. Lay down a gordo for distraction when they're in the air, often baits them into getting hit with my up air when they try to dodge it.

Side B is great for shooting down when in the air...less likely they'll get reflected.

I still have a lot to work on and by no means am I what I'd consider a "great" DDD player yet but I feel like I'm getting there. I still struggle against projectile types like villager and megaman when opponent is skilled. And I'm absolutely awful against Ness. I've yet to figure out how to counter his projectiles.

I've got a lot to work to do with his forward roll...I don't use it that well or near enough. And I never use his breathe in, which probably merits use in some situations. Also my juggling is decent but can get much better. Same with my backair. It's good but I still need improvement. My upsmash isn't too great, my timing is bad. And I still haven't gotten a great feel for his forward air's hitbox, I wiff it too much.

I think the character is a lot better than people give him credit for. Looking forward to hopefully getting my win rate up more to the 90%ish area. Let me know if anything I've said here is bad...always looking to improve.

Not sure my post has a lot of point to it. Just wanted to throw my thoughts out here and see what everyone else feels about the character at this early point in the game's life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom